Dan208

Less subs/more power vs more subs/less power?

I'm doing some research for my summer project and have a question about the amount of subs and power. Same subs and power, just different number of subs (I'm strongly considering Sundown's E8's).

The question is, which setup would have more as far as output and low end? Less subs and more power per sub or more subs and less power per sub? Or, is it a situation where things would be pretty much equal (kind of like balancing out because less subs/more power=more subs/less power)?

Idk flip a coin and do your build on that.

Depends on how many subs your comparing, and how much power.

More cone area usually rules over power. BUT, depends upon the power and cone area difference.

Too many variables. Voltage drop, box size, vehicle freq, cancellation, and the list goes on. If you have to ask my answer is more sub is less likely to die with less power than less sub and more power.

Too many variables. Voltage drop, box size, vehicle freq, cancellation, and the list goes on. If you have to ask my answer is more sub is less likely to die with less power than less sub and more power.

Haha..this

Like I said, I'm looking really hard at the Sundown E8. So, it would be either 250 each for a pair or around 167 each for a trio.

Edit: I plan on trying both ported and sealed.

Edited by Dan208

Like I said, I'm looking really hard at the Sundown E8. So, it would be either 250 each for a pair or around 167 each for a trio.

Edit: I plan on trying both ported and sealed.

definitely the trio then, as long as the enclosure volume is appropriate.

Install is really what will ALWAYS make a difference. There was a reference to "if you have to ask" above and really what that means in this case is you should focus on the enclosure and your space. After you determine that, define your goals more clearly and think about your budget.

Otherwise generally there is absolutely no answer to your question.

Install is really what will ALWAYS make a difference. There was a reference to "if you have to ask" above and really what that means in this case is you should focus on the enclosure and your space. After you determine that, define your goals more clearly and think about your budget.

True true, but if he has the space to properly use a ported enclosure with sufficient volume for three 8" drivers, I'm willing to bet it'll be louder then two.

(assuming installation is done properly in both cases)

Thanks, guys. I really need to keep the box on the small side, as this is our family vehicle. Budget wise, right now, the pair would be the best choice, but this won't happen until at least July, so things may change. I've never ran more than two subs at once, so I think trying more than that would be something fun to do.

True true, but if he has the space to properly use a ported enclosure with sufficient volume for three 8" drivers, I'm willing to bet it'll be louder then two.

So 2 E8's with 100w each will have less output than 3 E8's with 1w each? His thread is REALLY vague.

Thanks, guys. I really need to keep the box on the small side, as this is our family vehicle. Budget wise, right now, the pair would be the best choice, but this won't happen until at least July, so things may change. I've never ran more than two subs at once, so I think trying more than that would be something fun to do.

I suggest you find out how much space your willing to give up for an enclosure.

Then calculate how much NET volume you have to work with, and take into consideration port placement and subwoofer firing direction, then you can make a better decision as to which option will work best for you.

So 2 E8's with 100w each will have less output than 3 E8's with 1w each? His thread is REALLY vague.

lol, now your just screwing with me :P But yes I agree he was vague and he did just mention he doesn't really know what hes doing or how much space he has to work with.

So I agree with your initial post.

Not trying to be hard on him, but without understanding the space there is NO answer. :)

Sorry for the vague post. I'm still a noob (have been for over 10 years :suicide-santa: ). It took me forever to decide if I wanted to post this thread, as I didn't want to sound like a moron.

Based on my current setup (single 10" Dcon in 1.25 cubes ported) I know I don't want to go over 1.5 cubes.

Just something to remember, the more power you give any sub the worse it performs. Any sub.

Just something to remember, the more power you give any sub the worse it performs. Any sub.

Thanks for the info. :fing34:

Not trying to be hard on him, but without understanding the space there is NO answer. :)

By all means, be hard on me. Maybe it will help me learn. :ughdunno:

Simple question...simple answer, cone area is key.