Scheibler

Amp is on, but subwoofer is not working?

I've got a used SSA DCON 10" and alpine mrp-m350 amp. The amp is hooked up to a line out conerter tapped into my rear speakers with the amp recieving power. The sub is wired in parallel and is a dvc 4ohm sub so the amp's output is going to be 2ohms. I've got both sub terminals, negative to negative and positive to positive. The wire connecting the box is connected to ONE terminal...that is correct right?

I've checked all the wires again and again yet can't get the sub to do anything. I changed grounds to no avail. I bought a used sub off a member on caraudio.com (lil98cabrio) and am starting to think it's blown, but don't have another sub to test.

Is there a way to test the sub or amp with a dmm?

You can check the coils on the sub with your dmm. Turn it to measure ohm and put the leads in the correct terminal and you should receive a reading around somewhere in the mid to upper 3.x range for each coil.

You can test the voltage coming out of the amp with your dmm too. Just make sure you are playing something so it will actually be able to put out power.

Edited by Miller

When you say tapped in are you refering to high level to low level? Also I am assuming you have power, ground and remote hooked up properly on your amp.

Get a dmm and measure across the coils to see if there are any issues. I don't think lil98cabrio would sell a blown speaker unless he disclosed it.

I checked the ohms on the subs. Both terminals rrad just over 2 which is correct. Maybe the line out converter is somehow hooked up wrong? Hate those stupid things. Shoulda juat bought a line level harness for direct tap

Lets just make sure were on the same page, do you know for a fact that the amp is on? Does the light on the amp light up?

Try plugging an ipod into the amp for the signal, if that works then your LOC isn't working.

You can hook your ipod to the amp by using a 3.5mm jack to rca cable.

Lets make sure your amp is actually turning on, getting a signal, and producing power before you start accusing someone.

Is your line out converter set? As in did you adjust the level settings on it? On my stinger unit it has a ground wire that has to be hooked up for it to work.

I had the same problem on an alpine mrp m500 I tried everything I could and sent it back and they sent me a new one and it worked just fine so it might just be the amp

The amp light is on. I've grounded the LOC. It actually has three grounds on it which is pretty confusing, a 12v constant yellow wire, and blue remote wire. I couldn't get the lock to work by connecting the yellow wire to my bose 12v source or the blue wire to work as a remote. I got the amp to turn on by running speaker wire directly to the power wire on my stock bose amp

Wish I could just find one of those 4-pin speaker level harnesses to see if it's the LOC connection being messed up or if it's broke in general

Got a killer deal on a JL Audio 500/1 for $100. It's doing the same thing as the alpine mrp-m350. Will power on, but the sub doesn't do anything. Wonder if my LOC is wired wrong or the sub is blown?

ok. so did you PUT AN I POD ON A MINI TO RCA STRIGHT TO THE AMP TO RULE OUT THE AMP?

i seen the advice was givin but your still asking the name question.

yea... good idea... $10 cable for troubleshooting vs an amplifier... get the cable... lol :peepwall:

lol yea. only reason i bought the amplifier is b/c its worth nearly double what I paid for it

but your not listening,, your just coming back here.. and saying the same thing over and over.. and your not even trouble shooting the way your being told.

soooooo your kinda wasting space and everyones time.

Try one of these connect to ipod then rcas directly to amp, after that probably a bad sub. I say this according to the info you posted of the amp or amps working previous to installing in your setup. Can get this from radio shack for a few bucks.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=3.5+to+rca&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=13163242359206631653&sa=X&ei=wdSBTa_WDJT4swPNs8mBAg&ved=0CEoQ8gIwAg#

try to run the coils seperately on a low level ... maybe maybe coil configuration got screwed up and is one + actually a - and vice versa or you did something wrong yourself wireing the sub ...

yea it does not sound like the amp, you still need to check the output with a MM while playing music if there is none chances are its your line output converter... u then need to get RCAs to an ipod and check it again if it works then its your line out converter, if it still dont work and your not getting a reading on your MM it may very well may be your amp....