davidg121

Help picking a sub(s)

Hey guys, i have made a little bit of progress in terms of my build. Purchased an saz-1000d so i had a place to start with because i honestly couldnt make up my mind what i wanted to do so i just decided to buy something and get started.

I currently have 1 jl w6 and i would like louder, but still sound really good playing music. I will be getting a box custom made, i am now down to picking the subs... So a couple questions... What should i go with considering the amp.

1 15" or 2 12"

Including the box, i am looking to spend somewhere in the 700.00 range. I hope that this has given ample enough information to tell you what i want so you guys can point me in the right direction. If you need any more info please let me know.

provide the space you have to work with

Edited by smashedz28

Goals are to get louder than the w6, but not to lose the nice crisp sound that it has. It has been mentioned before that it might be worth while for me to just get another w6, so i am definitely taking that into consideration also. I can get some dimensions tomorrow, but it is going in the back of a 2007 nissan altima sedan. Trunk is quite large.

What type of music do you listen to?

Was the jl driver in a sealed or ported enclosure? Have you heard the sound differences between a ported and sealed enclosure? Favor one over the other?

Your amp does 1000watts or what ever, doesn't mean you need to use all of it, but if you do take full advantage of the amp you may need an extra battery in the back to help keep the voltage up. Just another thing to consider.

1 15- AA Havoc, DC Level 4, Fi Q, IA Death Row, SSA Icon, Sundown SA-15, or T3 Audio T1000

2 12s- AA Arsenals, DC Level 2/3s, Fi Xs, IA Lethal Injections, or T3 T400/600s

Another w6 is a good option if your happy with 1 and want louder 2 should help with that. You may want to look into the Fi Q 15" probably. decent woofer. Gets loud and sounds good. Also matches power wise to the amp you have. Just a suggestion. Xcon's are also something you may want to check into. hell there is alot of them out there, i have personally used Fi's Q, in a 12" and a 15" version. It wasnt exactly what i was looking for in a sub as far as spl goes, but it did get loud and it did sound good doing it, for sure a nice woofer.

SSA Icons are currently being rebuilt to a new design so there not available to purchase right now, but I would definitely try to find one used. Awesome SQ, great output.

I listen to a wide variety of music, older rap, some hip hop, rock, no heavy metal or anything that has people just screaming throughout the whole song...

My w6 is currently in a ported enclosure, but the enclosure is nothing special

Is there an eta on the new icons?

What type of difference should i expect between a 15" xcon, and 2 12"icons

How much more output do you think i would gain by going with a second w6? Are we talking a decent gain or like a holy shit thats a big difference lol.

I listen to a wide variety of music, older rap, some hip hop, rock, no heavy metal or anything that has people just screaming throughout the whole song...

My w6 is currently in a ported enclosure, but the enclosure is nothing special

Is there an eta on the new icons?

What type of difference should i expect between a 15" xcon, and 2 12"icons

How much more output do you think i would gain by going with a second w6? Are we talking a decent gain or like a holy shit thats a big difference lol.

Well if you go from one w6 in a not so special box to two w6s in a well designed, well built enclosure, youre lookin at like a holy shit thats a big difference.

Would i run into any problems putting a new w6 with a w6 that is a year old (its the same sub) just curious if age would effect it being in same box.

I have the same car. You can fit a box 31.25" L X 15" H, and pretty much deep as you want. Mine is 16" deep so I still have some good trunk space. Over 17" of space left. If you go any taller, or wider, you wont be able to push it in all the way. I have 2 SA-10s, had to go with aeros do to the space limitation.

th_2011-03-05163711.jpg

th_2011-03-05163654.jpg

Sad to say, this car isnt the best for audio though. Lots of bad rattles, and doesnt really seem to get loud. I went from a 2010 Rogue to it, and there is a huge difference. I honestly think its better to try to go with a lower power, more SQ setup with the car, since it just cant really get that loud.

Edited by ctmaudi

Its beginning to look like going with a second w6 is going to be my best option... and also pretty cost effective, anyone know somebody selling a w6? :P

If you the have the room a IA flaytlyne 15 or12 Is a great sub. It is geared for sq not spl but it will get loud if needed

if your gonna go with another w6 you might need more than 1000 watts to get the full potential, also the right size box and tuned correctly is also a big deal, 20%equiptment and 80%install is where your SQ comes in.

I had a 12" W7, i loved the clarity of it crisp and clean get low, and was like you wanted louder but not to loose the SQ that it had, i bought a FI SSD 15 in a 4 cubic feet box tuned to 33hz, im amazed by it, it puts out, and gets down low, and im running an AQ 1200 on it, it only needs 800rms although they are coming out with the new ones im not sure of its rms.

Just a few ideas, if you decide to get another W6 and a correctly tuned box, it would be awesome to.

Ok guys, i was leaning towards the additional w6, but to be honest i keep going back to wanting to try the icons... I know that the 1000 watts isnt maxing them out, but will it be enough to get two of them moving well? It would be nice if i could leave some additional room later on for an easy upgrade. I have the room to make a 5cf box, so it will be enough space wise (i gave up trying to leave a lot of space haha).

Goals are to get louder than the w6, but not to lose the nice crisp sound that it has. It has been mentioned before that it might be worth while for me to just get another w6, so i am definitely taking that into consideration also. I can get some dimensions tomorrow, but it is going in the back of a 2007 nissan altima sedan. Trunk is quite large.

What do you mean? Crisp is not a term that I can read and understand what your definition is. Please also let us know what the enclosure specs are that you currently have it in. Pretty impossible to tell you how to improve anything without knowing what it is you like and what you have. :)

m5, what words would you use to describe bass? i will get some box dimensions soon for you

m5, what words would you use to describe bass? i will get some box dimensions soon for you

More detail in general. What does it do you like, what doesn't it do you'd like to improve, how is it on.... etc.

As a general assumption that would suit your power requirments and is a well rounded subwoofer is the SA series from Sundown. Two SA12 would sound "good" and get relatively loud. A ported enclosure for two SA-12 will definitely fit in your Altima with room to spare.

m5, currently the w6 that i have sounds good while playing music, but it is lacking in the volume area. It is in a ported enclosure (ill get specs a little bit later on). I like that the w6 doesnt sound like it struggles to reproduce a lot of the sounds while listening to an intricate song. I can hear every beat very clearly without it sounding like the beats flow into each other. My best example of this is a set of kicker l7s that i heard. He would put a song on and it seemed like each beat would flow into the next.

I still say ssa icons, but they may be hard to find... May just want to get another w6 and build a new box.

Is your current box a prefab?

Yes it is stefan. I am contemplating holding off for the new icons and then hoping someone will sell theirs off to get the new ones haha

As a general assumption that would suit your power requirments and is a well rounded subwoofer is the SA series from Sundown. Two SA12 would sound "good" and get relatively loud. A ported enclosure for two SA-12 will definitely fit in your Altima with room to spare.

Yes it is stefan. I am contemplating holding off for the new icons and then hoping someone will sell theirs off to get the new ones haha

The switch from a prefab enclosure to a enclosure suited around your drivers specs and appropriate tuning WILL be a big difference.

I haven't seen any icons for sale in a long time, last time I saw them for sale they were mine haha. I haven't heard any updates on the new icons, so I wouldn't hold you breath.

There's so many choices of drivers, and a lot will suit your needs, I personally stick to what I've heard and what I can get a good deal on.

Some Fi ssds and a new box would probably work well, I believe Fi is waiting on parts or something before they can be bought again, but there somewhat easy to find for sale.

What is the story with these new skar subs that are showing up?

By the way edouble im looking into the sa-12s :).