Havasufreak

Sub box materials

this is kind of a silly question, but im in need of a little help.

im starting my box tomorrow for my FI BL 15" and curious what kind of screws and glue i will need... OR any other materials i should get together.

the box should be just under a 4 cu ft.

i picked up a huge sheet of MDF today. just felt like asking you guys what you would recommend before i buy.

THANKS!!

I always use Titebond II glue. Be sure you have several clamps when you glue it together. You can screw it together while the glue is still wet to hold it together, but I prefer to clamp it and let it dry.

Probably want to countersink the screws too, so get a countersink the right size for the screw head or if you are real careful you can use a larger drill bit.

You also want to be sure you predrill the screw holes or the wood will split.

There is a recent thread on here about glue and glue/screw methods. Do a quick search for it.

Don't forget bracing!

4 cubic foot box MAY require more than 1 sheet of wood. As said, pre drilling and countersinks help. Clamps are a good thing to have, get some regular ol caulking for where the wood meets. Titebond is a good glue, a square helps when i do them to make sure things are squared. Measure twice and cut once. Good luck and dont forget to take pictures.

edit: screws i normally use is the 1-5/8 black drywall screws.. may or may not be the preferred screw but its what i use and havent had any issues with them yet.

Edited by smashedz28

Thanks a lot guys!!

i know it may need more wood, but for the time being i got one. i was going to start today, but its raining a huge storm... so that puts a pause on that...WO!

guess ill still go get some materials today though

DON'T get the mdf wet!!

Or It'll fall apart like a graham cracker in milk :P

Well you didn't list it so I'm not sure if you bought it; Silicone Sealant.

Instead of screws I just use brad nails I think they're called. Just tiny nails to kinda hold it together.

Worked great for me and you can't really tell they are there

Instead of screws I just use brad nails I think they're called. Just tiny nails to kinda hold it together.

Worked great for me and you can't really tell they are there

AND clamps :)

Well someone said clamps.....but yes clamps. I also sat on my box for an hour or so since I only had four clamps

Spax screws are real nice. I'm pretty sure Home Depot and Lowes both carry them.

I also use #8 drywall or deck screws otherwise.

haha! thanks guys!

yes the MDF is in the garage. i cant believe the rain we are getting right now. just insane!!

i got some materials today including... loctite caulking, liquid nails silicone, and 1 5/8 screws. i didnt bother with buying new clamps. so im going to just add glue and screw them down. hope that should work. dont see why it wouldnt.