Sign in to follow this  
ctmaudi

SubSonic Filter

I was going to get a DCON 12, ported around 30-32hz. I plan to run it off the bridged rear channels of a 4 channel amp. Was going to get the Crescendo 1000C4, but it doesnt have the option to use the HPF as a subsonic filter. Will it really be needed? I like to listen to Bass Mekanik and other artificial bass heavy stuff like that.

You need a SSF .... you will damage your speaker fairly quickly if you don't.. Without the filter you will end up playing notes lower than your tuning and that will damage the Dcon..

If you're going to port the box at that frequency you really should run a SSF. Is it necessary? No of course it isn't. I personally would never run a ported enclosure without a properly set SSF. How low does the HPF go on the Crescendo?

specifically because he mentioned "artificial bass" tracks I will go ahead and say YES.. he needs to have a SSF in place... Otherwise go sealed with a second Dcon??? :peepwall:

specifically because he mentioned "artificial bass" tracks I will go ahead and say YES.. he needs to have a SSF in place... Otherwise go sealed with a second Dcon??? :peepwall:

This ^

I will also add...........Bleh! What a waste of a great driver to play that mess. lol

J/K Bro.

Well it seems as if he hasn't chosen his amp yet so I would go ahead and say either choose a different amplifier or get a stand-alone filter.

Well it seems as if he hasn't chosen his amp yet so I would go ahead and say either choose a different amplifier or get a stand-alone filter.

Yes very true... OP, are you looking to save money, or space, or both??? Using the rear channels of a 4 channel amplifier is not a bad idea but going ported is for that particular setup...

I have a DSC-480 left from the setup I had. Was going to sell it too and just get a single amp to save space and money, and make it easier. Wouldnt really want to spend over $200, other wise Id just keep the DSC-480 and get a mono amp. I had two SA-10s and a ZRS-C65, but sold them to pocket a little bit of money and not take up as much room.

Normally I wouldnt have even asked about the SSF, as I know its good to have. But I remembered when I had my RE SE 12, I didnt have a SSF on the amp, and it was ported, and never had any issues.

The HPF on the Crescendo is 60Hz, so no way that will work as one. I also was looking at the Hifonics ZXI-150.4. No idea if it does rated or not, or if its a good or bad amp, but its about $200 shipped, same as the Crescendo.

150 x 4 @ 4

300 x 4 @ 2

600 x 2 @ 4

rated @ 14.4v

3x40 amp fuese, HPF 10hz-15khz 12db octave (can be used as subsonic filter, high enough to cross for active if I wanted to later on), LPF 30hz-150hz 12db octave

low pass on the amp and high pass on the hu? sort of like a ghetto bandpass

Sub out only has a LPF on my HU.

Whole point is to save space by running a smaller sub box and one amp.

Thanks though.

I think Im just going to keep my DSC-480 for now, since it has a SSF. 70 to my comps, 300 to the sub untill I want more or it dies.

I'm very glad that stumbled upon this thread because I'm in the same boat. I already bought the crescendo 1000c4 and I was thinking of using two channels for components and the other two channels bridged for a 10" DCON but after seeing this thread I'm a bit skeptical about getting the DCON. I wanted to build 1.0 cu ft box and tune it to 30. I did some research and some people say you need the SSF and others say you don't need it because most regular music doesn't have crazy lows that can damage a sub. I listen to rap(Eminem), dubstep, some pop and rock. I will most likely keep my gains down because my car has a 70 amp alternator. Will a DCON get damaged in my situation? Thanks in advance.

I'm very glad that stumbled upon this thread because I'm in the same boat. I already bought the crescendo 1000c4 and I was thinking of using two channels for components and the other two channels bridged for a 10" DCON but after seeing this thread I'm a bit skeptical about getting the DCON. I wanted to build 1.0 cu ft box and tune it to 30. I did some research and some people say you need the SSF and others say you don't need it because most regular music doesn't have crazy lows that can damage a sub. I listen to rap(Eminem), dubstep, some pop and rock. I will most likely keep my gains down because my car has a 70 amp alternator. Will a DCON get damaged in my situation? Thanks in advance.

Dont worry about it, it will be fine

Will a DCON get damaged in my situation?

Will one get damaged?

maybe

Could one get damaged?

Yes

Will a DCON get damaged in my situation?

Will one get damaged?

maybe

Could one get damaged?

Yes

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm gonna have to stick to sealed enclosures.

Look for external subsonic filters. It's cheap, small, and efficient for your sub.

Maybe parts-express or madisound.com have some. Take a look there. It's too cheap to run a sealed box and loose output !

A 4 ch for sub and speakers is a good idea if you don't want big power.