Sign in to follow this  
Dan208

Computer people: Need some advice.

I need some help picking programs to use for cleaning and keeping my computer(s) secure.

Currently on my computer I use CCleaner, ZoneAlarm firewall, Secunia PSI, Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Microsoft Security Essentials. On my wife's laptop I have Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and CCleaner.

Basically, what I need to know is which of these should I keep, which ones should I get rid of and what else, if anything, I should be using? Is freeware ok to use, or should I look for some kind of paid all-in-one service?

BTW, I'm pretty computer illiterate (but not totally :rofl2: ).

Generally you will be fine with security essentials and malware bytes.... just remember to do the malware bytes scans.

Most virus's that still pass that are ones that should have been prevented by smart browsing habits... Example... not clicking on a popup that says click here to scan fix 37 virus's found on your computer.

Firewalls are nice to have.

If you want to go above and beyond... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122356&cm_re=utm-_-33-122-356-_-Product pick up one of those. That will help out tremendously with virus's.

I use NOD32 for virus, trojans and worms.

Malware bytes for spyware/adware.

Ccleaner for performance and fixes.

If I need more work on spyware or adware, I use spybot search and destroy and ad-aware

Let's not go crazy here, hehe.

I run pcs 24\7 that need constant ontime and access anytime throughout the year.

So of course these pcs need to be virii free.

I have went through several packages every few months in the past and the current package is working VERY well.

Mandatory to keep-

MalwareBytes

Virus protector-

Avast Pro or AVG Pro

Both are on par with each other and work very well with MalwareBytes.

That comment above about getting infected on smart browsing isn't true.

Not doubting your intelligence but i do not want the OP to feel secure when he isn't by safe browsing.

MANY times throughout the month, i get reports of "something" trying to attack a pc or that i am infected.

After researching the root cause, i find the problem-

I leave on average about 80 webpages open on the pc.

Many of these pages are message boards.

These message boards, like many sites, cycle advertising.

Some of these ads that are cycled contain imbedded virii which when cycled gets dumped into your temporary internet files.

With the package i currently use, there has only been ONE time that a Dropper got through and only took 4 seconds from detection to complete shutdown.

There was only one thing at the time that fixed it, something you ONLY need to run when all else fails-

Vipre Rescue

And, an Xtreme security package-

Rollback RX

This program uses the same technology like many campuses and libraries use on their computers.

You can intentionally infect your pc and delete as many files as possible..

When u restart, everything is restored as if nothing happened.

The software is VERY strong. It's intentions is to NOT save anything saved on the hard drive.

so you must setup the program to mantain certain folders permissions to allow saved information so you can still use and download things normally without losing it the next time you restart, :)

And the last resort option- if u need pc help, just contact me.

i have felt like nod32 has been slowly declining. It was amazing a couple years ago.

i have felt like nod32 has been slowly declining. It was amazing a couple years ago.

You are 100% right, sir.

I used to use it when one day i noticed the pc was acting as if it was infected so i did a scan with Eset and it found nothing..

I fired up a license from another company and boom.. virii, trojans, couple worms, spyware, malware like crazy everywhere...

I use AVG pro, malwarebytes and microsoft security essentials. I also do an online scan once a month, just to be sure. If my systems gets a virus it's usually due to me being stupid.

usually computers are pretty safe unless you venture into some warez type stuff or download some bad files

Usually for websites though the best utility i've found is actually mozilla itself and all the security already built in for the add-ons.

no script, private browse, no cookies ect.

I completely forgot about this thread. :peepwall:

Thanks for the tips everyone. I forgot to mention that both computers run on a wireless router. Not sure if that helps anything or not?

Make sure your wireless router is secured. Use a browser like Firefox. IE is just full of flakes.

The only other alternative, and is the best antivirus next to never turning your computer on, is change over to Linux. Even though I love linux, it's just not time for it and doing some things I have to do.

I have recently dual-booted Ubuntu and windows, with no internet enabled in windows I use it only for gaming, office, etc. I did this and compared it to my wifes laptop which runs windows only with Zonealarm extreme security, malware bytes, and spy-bot S&D. (she doesn't want to learn a new OS)

So far my machine has had zero issues. No viri, no spyware, no weird instances of it running funny or acting strange in any way. Hers on the other hand constantly has issues and gets some new virus or something almost weekly and she's not online as much as I am.

Dunno if that's luck or the simple fact that Linux isn't a mainstream OS and there aren't many viri, spyware or malware written for it so it's harder to get infected. Or perhaps it's just more secure, I just don't know for sure, but it's working out for now. I did the same thing for the laptop I recently purchased for my daughter and she likes Ubuntu better than windows anyway, go figure. Though she's not had one issue with it either and she clicks on almost EVERYTHING!

Make sure your wireless router is secured.

Yep, it's secure. I had to shut it down the other day and forgot the password when I started it back up. Luckily, I got it right on the first guess.