semrod

Obcon enclosure

Hey fellas quick question, I was talking to co-worker and he was telling me about Obcon subwoofer enclosures. So I looked them up. They are using a concept called labyrinth porting. I ordered a Sundown SA-12D2 a few days ago and the recommended eclosure size is 1.75^3 tuned to 30 hz. The box I'm looking at is 1.8^3 tuned to 38 hz. Has any used these enclosures or heard some one that was using them. If so just wondering what your opinions or impressions of them are. Your opinions are valuable to me because of everyone's knowledge on this forum. Thanks ahead of time for any opinions. Also if I decide to go sealed would it be ok to run a slighly larger than recommended sealed enclosure say 1.25^3 after sub displacement would the sub play a little deeper due to it being in a larger enclosure?

Edited by semrod

They look like well built boxes. I think my friend was referrring to the GZ models which are too expensive and too big for my truck. I like the idea of the 1.8^3 enclusure because it will be easier to get mor air flow to the front of my vehicle with the back seat down.

OH god.. thats expensive. :suicide-santa::suicide-santa:

You should try building your own box for the experience and money saving. You could probably build 50 boxes with that type of money! Building your own isnt hard at all, and you can perfect it the way you want. :fing34:

I'm not even considering a GZ enclosures I found 1 of the smaller enclosure enclosures on Ebay brand new for $50 with free shipping. It was the 1.8^3 at 38 hz.

Judging from the tunning stated above you would be better off with a lower tunned enclosure. What are your goals being loud, low endextension, ect. These should all be taken into consideration when choosing an enclosure.

I'm looking for low extension. That's why I was considering the sealed enclosure I mention. Sundown recommends 1^3 FS of 44hz. Would an enclosure slightly larger than say 1.5^3 give me a little more low end extension and ouput. I was figuring maybe part of the same principle would apply as a vented enclosure bigger enclosure equals more output.

Unfornately I'm dealing with colon cancer right now. That was 1 of my goals for 2011 was to learn how to build my own enclosures because of these audioshops around here want anywhere from $200 to $350 to build an enclosure. There's a trade off for living in Delaware lower property taxes, no sales tax, but one the highest cancer rates in the country. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Do an oversized sealed box then. It should be easy to find and cheap as well. I'd try to find around 2 cubes or get a lot of stuffing to get the same effect.

1st Phii thanks for your reply I was trying to stay away from 2^3 tuned at 32 hz now and I can't get a lot of airflow to the front of the cabin with the back seat down because the opening is pretting covered up. But your suggestion has given me and idea. I'll try the 1.4^3 and stuff some polyfill in it. So you think 38 hz is too high for that driver or will it not play anything down to say 25 hz with decent output. I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Coming to SSA you find out how little you truly know and how much more there is left to learn. So would I get a lot of air flow to the cabin using the sealed enclosure because of the displaced air by the driver. And also is it true that it is easier for the driver to reach it's xmax in a sealed enclosure vs a vented enclosure?

don't think you will get good output at 25hz tuning to 38hz without a lot of power and then you get into exceeding xmax leaving sound quality. Also, its the opposite, less power in ported and more in sealed.

What vehicle do you have again?

I have a 02 Nissan Altima I'm using a RF Power T500-1BD it is rated @ 762 ohms with no upgraded electrical. The car has a 110 amp alt. I'm usually getting between 13.5-13.8 volts. I may upgrade the battery anyway. Are you referring to using a vented enclosure tuned at 38hz. Wouldnt the driver be able to play down to say 25 hz in a sealed enclosure depending on the frequency response of the driver. I figured a box tuned at 38 hz would still play the lower frequencies just not with a lot of outout. I dont know have you heard a driver played in a box tuned that high and what was your impression? Thanks for your time again.

Edited by semrod

you keep mentioning the words "sealed" and "tuned" in the same descriptions... I'm getting confused.. Are you asking about volume for a sealed enclosure or vented??? I'm a little lost atm..... :peepwall:

I was referring to Phi's comment about a vented box tuned to 38 hz losing output or not even being able to play tones down to 25hz. And i mentioned would I get better output and low frequency extension using a 1.4^3 enclosure stuffed with a 1 1/2 of polyfill. I kinda wanna stay away from a box tuned low. I have a 2^3 box tuned to 32hz problem is the box goes all the way across the back seats so when I fold my seats down I dont get much air flow into the cabin. And unfornately i dont have the health right now to take on the project of builiding my own box. I hope that clears it. Thanks for the response.

Honestly my first box was from a company that is most likely the same place that is in this link

http://www.speakerboxesusa.com/sub-boxes-woofer-manufacturer-dual-alpine-328/

box is very solid

DSC05530.jpg

my car is a hatchback and it does get loud but that was way to much to pay for after shipping. I ended up borrowing tools and buying a sheet of MDF, glue, and drywall screws for much much cheaper built my first box. Might not be the prettiest box but got the job done built for my speakers specs.

Good luck and take care :drink40:

If you want low-end, do 1.75-2ft^3 with a 30hz tuning. You're going to get way more output down to 25hz than a sealed box can give you in this case.

If you want low-end, do 1.75-2ft^3 with a 30hz tuning. You're going to get way more output down to 25hz than a sealed box can give you in this case.

Thanks for your response. I'm sure you read my other posts that I'm dealing with cancer right now. So I'm a little weak right now. I see you do custom enclosures. I like the 1.75 idea. I'm just concerned tuning to 30 hz.I was thinking maybe 33 hz. The box I have now is 29x14x14. If I can width of the box down by say 8-10 inches and adjust the depth accordingly I can gain the airflow to the cabin. Right now I get very little airflow due to box completely blocking off the trunk. Out of curiosity due you know if Lowes or Home Depot does different size custom cuts of mdf. If so could you advise my of any programs that I could use to design an enclosure.

yeah Crunkjuice that looks llike the same design. I see what your saying. I dont have the tools to build an enclosure. You by any chance know if Lowes or Home Depot does custom cuts of mdf?