Sign in to follow this  
Tony Nelson

Death Row in a Sealed Box?

My old Death Row has been sitting around for a while not doing anything. I decided to give it to my brother and was wondering what the downsides would be to trying to run the Death Row in a Sealed Box?

I know it is recommended ported, but the proper room just isn't there. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

The only difference will be more cone control (better sq) and a loss of output. It will sound great and be plenty loud.....just not as loud as a proper ported box.

I think the biggest noticeable difference going from ported to sealed is the lack of low-end in the 25-45hz area with the sealed box.

Edited by RAM_Designs

Just depends on how big the box is and how much power is used.....as long as the box isn't tiny, it shouldn't lack on the lows

The box will be around 1.6 cu ft with bracing. Maybe a little less, but not much. Thanks for all the replies

Tony Nelson

Just depends on how big the box is and how much power is used.....as long as the box isn't tiny, it shouldn't lack on the lows

I meant lacking compared to the ported counterpart. In the 25-45hz area a sealed box has nothing on a low tuned ported box. Even with a large sealed box. I've done swaps myself with several 10" subs(even ones notorious for favoring sealed boxes) in a 1.25ft^3 at 28hz box and then plugged the port to make it a 1.75ft^3 sealed box. The ported setup would always have an advantage on the low end until you get down around 20hz, which you're not going to see any material that low anyways.

I meant lacking compared to the ported counterpart. In the 25-45hz area a sealed box has nothing on a low tuned ported box. Even with a large sealed box. I've done swaps myself with several 10" subs(even ones notorious for favoring sealed boxes) in a 1.25ft^3 at 28hz box and then plugged the port to make it a 1.75ft^3 sealed box. The ported setup would always have an advantage on the low end until you get down around 20hz, which you're not going to see any material that low anyways.

Agreed....I just meant that as a general statement....i thought your post sort of made it sound like the low end would be non existant in the sealed box, and I was just trying to clarify that it will still be there, just not as loud .

Agreed....I just meant that as a general statement....i thought your post sort of made it sound like the low end would be non existant in the sealed box, and I was just trying to clarify that it will still be there, just not as loud .

Understood, we're on the same page. :D