Sign in to follow this  
whatmh5

Amp Stopped Working for no apparent reason..

A few days back I got in my car to head to a friends house. Started the car and as my head unit turned on I heard a sort of pop/thud noise coming from my trunk. It wasn't too loud, but I then noticed my sub wasn't playing. Looked back there and the amp wasn't on. It had worked fine the day before. I checked fuses, grounds, and the remote wire to make sure it was fine. Amp still wouldn't turn on. I opened up the amp and I didn't see any burn marks or any apparent damage, but I took some photos to see if any of you guys happened to know anything...

There is one 30A fuse, and the rest are 40A; hoping that had nothing to do with the amp not turning on, its been that way for a long time.

Amp is an mtx 7801d, I bought it used around 6 months ago. Rarely has seen voltage below 12.8 since i've had it. Its been wired at 2 ohms to my d4 IA 15.

Here are some pictures;

2011-04-23184539.jpg

2011-04-23184443.jpg

2011-04-23184435.jpg

2011-04-23184416.jpg

Any input is appreciated.

ok well check the voltage coming from your car anything over 12 is good. and 12 volts coming from the remote also. Then after that.......your f$ed with out the amp here with one of us we can test anything. what does it do when you hook it up? any light noises anything????

oh and check all of those fuses and that one 30 amp one seems odd to me but check all of them to make sure they are all good.

Edited by 144dbFiBl15

ok well check the voltage coming from your car anything over 12 is good. and 12 volts coming from the remote also. Then after that.......your f$ed with out the amp here with one of us we can test anything. what does it do when you hook it up? any light noises anything????

oh and check all of those fuses and that one 30 amp one seems odd to me but check all of them to make sure they are all good.

Yeah I checked the remote voltage and power voltage, both over 12. Ever since ive had the amp, when i connect the remote to turn on the amp my voltage drops slightly and then the amp turns on. Now, the voltage still drops (I have my remote wire on a 12v powered switch), but the amp doesn't turn on. All the fuses are good as well; im clueless as to why the amp stopped working.

sounds like a bad mosfet/transistor

If one went bad it will be like a short causing it to suck alot of current.

Usually what fails on most amps. they are the things connected to that fan housing in your last pic.

Is the amp for sure finished? Or can it be repaired?

I'm guessing my best bet is to sell it broken for little money, and buy something more reliable, say a 1500d?

depends on how much it would cost to fix v. buying a new one

Would MTX be the only company who could fix it? Some say its not the highest quality amp..

im guessing a local audio place might do repairs.

There are a few places you can ship it onlne as well.

But yea prolly be cheaper to buy another amp. For what is that 1600watts?

Most def

Yeah 1600 @ 1.

The prism effect is sweet, but i can live without it.

Hows an ap 1500d for a cheap amp to last me till i can get something larger, like a sd 2500d?

i had a mtx te1500.1d i believe the model on it was called. if you send it in to mtx with out a warranty depending on the model they charged me 90, you just have to call customer support to get a quote and a ra number they should tell you the cost they said the 90 was flat rate no matter what was wrong with the amp. :ughdunno: worth a call