superman814

got 3 18'' fi q series

i know first thing everyone will say is why sealed, ive just been a sealed type of guy all my life, nothing against ported..but its not my taste..so i know on fi's site for 18's they suggest 4-8cu ft per sub..im having a shop make my box for me so its not like i can experiment with different sizes..so for a sealed application and for a mix of rap and rock what do you guys suggest in a box size for each 18? space isnt a issue its going in the back of a denali

I hope you will make a build log! Sounds like a good project. Q's do great sealed. I'd do at least 4.5 cubes per sub. Biger if you have the room. I had my q 18" in a 8 cube box seald for awhile. You won't be disapointed

Yukon XL? Are you removing the 3rd row? I forgot the exact measurements of the trunk cargo area, its something like 48" wide and 32-36" deep I believe. Its a tight squeeze with the 3rd row in and to also mount the amplfiers. Have you planned on how your going to mount the 18s, thats a lot of mounting area.

Why do you now like ported boxes? Just wondering as many people don't like them until they have heard a proper ported box. As, most ported boxes, are built VERY wrong. lol

I think, since it's obvious you are looking for output, a 18^3 box with a good amount of port would work great for you. But that's just my opinion.

3rd row seat is gone..lol so i have lots of space now, ive actually heard some good ported set ups, one of which was 3 audio que hdc3's i believe they are with around 2000 watts going to each and it made me cream my pants..lol but ive always loved that sound you only get from sealed set ups..

Get as large as you can to be more efficient, IMO. Shouldn't get too much hassle for running sealed, to each their own :drink40:

X2 on the build log!

iv heard a jl w7 13 in a port box and its sex in my ears and a q12 in a sealed not even comparable in the sq but the sealed q really got down and sounded a little bit under sex in my ears...kinda like a jb in my ears

Get as large as you can to be more efficient, IMO. Shouldn't get too much hassle for running sealed, to each their own :drink40:

X2 on the build log!

well i have the space to go the full 8 cu ft per sub that fi recommends, but whats the perfect balance for these subs? like i said mostly listening to rap and rock..no burps or competitions, just a daily driver..

I dont have much experience with this so how would the sound differ if I went with the minimum 4cu per sub, the middle 6cu per sub, and the max 8cu per sub? Again im looking for a daily driver for rap and rock, I dont want it just to be loud and sound like ass lol, id like it to sound good

Edited by superman814

More volume = less power handling, increased efficiency.

Less volume = higher power handling, decreased efficiency.

In terms of loudness and sq, a small box may be peaky, less of a flat response, too big a box, not sure.

I personally always like to go with bigger boxes and have better efficiency and use less power.

I'd go with Fi's middle recommendation of 6cubes per driver.

I know what you mean about sealed enclosure sound verse ported. I think your setup will retain that sealed type sound but with all that cone area it'll still be able to be quite authoritive when the bassline comes in :D

thanx for the input, i forgot to mention i will be only sending 800 watts per driver

Thats plenty of power. Post up pics and video when it's all done

Doing a sealed enclosure you can always experiment with fiberfill or wood blocks to make the box appear bigger or smaller to the sub, and tailor it to the sound you like.