Sign in to follow this  
Shogen

Zed Audio Minotaur

Question, this being a "subwoofer" amplifier, why does it not have a subsonic filter? Is it only meant to supply power in a sealed enclosure application???

Are the crossover points setup in a way so that I may remove the frequencies I don't want>?

Example:

It has crossover points @ 25hz , 31hz, 40hz, 50hz, and 63hz..

If I set the crossover points on 25hz to -12db will that "remove" that frequency's reproduction? If I leave it at 0 will it do the same?

I really like this amplifier and feel that 1000w is more than enough to get an Xcon moving...

My other choice would be a RF t1500-bdCP when funds allow.... Hopefully review at work goes well and I get a raise... Then I'll jump on one of them

Currently they are both the same price for me... so that is not in the equation right now..

Would I benefit from the ZED's crossover setup and would the options it has serve as what is usually a subsonic filter on most amplifiers???

Here is how it looks:

zed_xover1.jpg

Subsonic filters are high-pass filters, so that knob on the bottom of the amp on the diagram labeled HIGH PASS is the SSF.

Edited by thor02

That sounds kinda right, but why would they not have a "subsonic filter" like the draconia and dreadnaught have??? Just seemed weird to me...

Hmm, not sure, but i don't see that it could be anything else. As for the eq points of 25 hz, 31 hz, etc, i believe those are there to reduce peaks in frequency response.

reduce and increase as it has a -12db, 0, and +12db ..... I think this will be my next amplifier... Wished they had a 2ch so I could have matching amplifiers.... :ughdunno:

Get the dreadnought and run it in 3 channel mode. 225x2@4ohm and 800x1@1ohm. Perfect

hmm... something to thing about... But I don't want an "all-in-one" amplifier... I'm one of those people that comes from a troubleshooting/technical background and I wouldn't want to make an amplifier do more than a part of one task... So that could be a last resort.. I'd probably keep my BA GT2-125 and just replace my JL 500/1 with it...

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer but would I be safe powering the Xcon in a 3.3 cube enclosure with 1000w? That safe to do?? :peepwall:

Another note, I am running my front stage and subwoofer at 2ohm loads so I don't know if that would make a difference for that amplifier anyway... :ughdunno:

The channels are rated for 2ohm loads but not when bridged, only 4 or 8 ohms when bridged. I would say yes to the power and sub box question. But you will just have to listen and adjust the power accordingly.

Cool... I'm keeping my eye on the Zed Minotaur then and drop the idea of the RF since it really has no equalization.... Plus it has a fixed SSF and that would kinda suck when going ported ... although I would tune to about 29-30hz...

Definitely a great choice

The amplifier or box tuning?lol... I'm going sealed first. Then will have someone build me a box. I just know argent will having rape style shipping since he is in Cali.

Good choice on the amplifier. Booo on the sealed box for the xcon

Kiss it Sean... !!!

Its all good. I'm going sealed first with the icon. Just giving ya shit.

lmao.... Yea boi!!

Does this mean that you are selling me your JL amp? Slash series?

:(

The "baby amp" is mine!!! :P

O well, worth the try. Sefugi, would you agree with me that Shogen needs to start a build log?

O well, worth the try. Sefugi, would you agree with me that Shogen needs to start a build log?

Yep! He should stop being a slacker!!

whats a build log???

Since when did people want my "baby amp"???

If this is the case, then I'd like to see what kind of fight I can get going with you two for my "baby amp"

Maybe a deathmatch??? :peepwall:

I know someone that would like it. If its the slash series. But if Sefugi called it first, he can have it, I guess :ghost:

I know someone that would like it. If its the slash series. But if Sefugi called it first, he can have it, I guess :ghost:

Actually I think you called it first, so I'll step back for you. :drink40:

I haven't even got a replacement and I've already sold it.. lolz.. Good to know... :ughdunno: