Sign in to follow this  
Shogen

Okay.. Xcon box again... need your help...

15" Xcon .... Was thinking about going sealed but then the idea of aero ports was brought up and I saw Stef's and loved the look and thought ... "Hey, a sealed enclosure is just a big box.. and a ported with aeros is just some tubing thrown inside of it and cut to the right length for tuning... I can do that.."

Should I just do this? I was looking at PrecisionSoundProducts and said I could do this... Not much more work that building a sealed enclosure... Right???

So I looked up on their site for ports calculations and realized after understanding it a bit better that the Torres calculator does it as well... Here is what I come up with and it seem correct... Let me know what's up fellas... Seem off by a bit.... Which is correct??? Or any one of those is close enough???

This is from Torres' Calculator:

box_calculations3_torres.jpg

This is from PrecisionSoundProducts:

box_calculations4_torres.jpg

IB

Sorry I just had to.

I'd have a box builder make up a design :P

But it just comes down port area (circular vent instead of square. just (radius^2)*3.14 ), and port length for tuning.

IB

Sorry I just had to.

I'd have a box builder make up a design :P

But it just comes down port area (circular vent instead of square. just (radius^2)*3.14 ), and port length for tuning.

I don't get it Stef??? IB??? I'm kinda old please explain... lol :ughdunno:

The discrepancy in port length is due to having different net volumes for each calc. Torres accounts for port, woofer, and extra baffle displacement the other does not. And you need a lot more port area.

does the box they specify on the site just not fit ur car?

i agree u get more port area with a slot port, unless you can find some 8in pvc like i did for my old box lol.

girls uncle works for the water company :greddy2:

with aero's id say u have better placement, just make sure u get them flared.

I guess it's more because I can probably build an enclosure with aeros easier compared to a slot port to be honest.. I have no way to make the cuts that it would require.. But with aeros, I'm just making a sealed box with a hole or holes in it and a tube that goes through it.. basically...

Does that make sense??

So I may understand better... The optimal port area needed should be around what number? 30- 40 or 40-50 or something like 80in??? Even if I don't do this myself I'd like to know.. There is now a thirst for this knowledge.. :peepwall:

slot port is the same as building a sealed box, lol

u just have a shorter piece with another piece connected to it.

just 2 extra pieces of wood :ughdunno:

nah... if you look at all those designs simple at first glance but then... How do you get all the bends done? You can't just do 90 degrees turns... 45s are used and then to join them smoothly you need to angle the cuts... That I CANNOT do and without equipment for it, I WILL NOT try to... :suicide-santa:

nah... if you look at all those designs simple at first glance but then... How do you get all the bends done? You can't just do 90 degrees turns... 45s are used and then to join them smoothly you need to angle the cuts... That I CANNOT do and without equipment for it, I WILL NOT try to... :suicide-santa:

A standard slot port is not difficult.

175562.jpg

Edited by ricksi30

the box they show is 4cubes optimal

port is 3.5W x 30L 16H

lol, ignore the 90deg cuts if u cant do that, just make them straight, like the pic above

The outer pieces are just bracing, which u can just put a 2x2 piece of wood to do.

there angled so u dont have standing waves, but i doubt ul notice the diff, if you really think its a problem glue some insulation to the corners, or cut some pvc to round them off

i've edited this like 10 times now lol

insideh.png

corner.png

Edited by djjdnap

oh and they're box IS too big.. It won't fit... Max dim for me is 16.5H x 33W ... depth not an issue TBH... So you CAN just do a L-port with 90 degree turns? Thought that hindered some sound or added port noise or something to that affect ...

oh and they're box IS too big.. It won't fit... Max dim for me is 16.5H x 33W ... depth not an issue TBH... So you CAN just do a L-port with 90 degree turns? Thought that hindered some sound or added port noise or something to that affect ...

It is fine, 45's help but aren't a necessity. Round the edges with some sand paper and you'll be fine.

ive never heard port noise lol

never rounded anything either :ehh:

and yea i meant 45 its late lol

Edited by djjdnap

Plugging in the dimensions from the SSA design into the Torres Calculator shows 3.90 cubes and a tuning of 32.68hz ...unless I did something wrong... Who is correct?

ive never heard port noise lol

never rounded anything either :ehh:

and yea i meant 45 its late lol

Same here, never had an issue I just sand the edges to remove the sharp edge. Just make sure you have adequate port area ~50"

Plugging in the dimensions from the SSA design into the Torres Calculator shows 3.90 cubes and a tuning of 32.68hz ...unless I did something wrong... Who is correct?

Post a screen shot, you probably missed something.

also diff calculators have diff calculations they use.

So i dont think any online is 100% accurate

i use the 12v though.

SSA_optimal_torres.jpg

So here is the deal fellas.... I don't have the best room to work with and I'd like to maybe get this done sooner rather later

Would I be okay with this:

torres_try1.jpg

I'm only unsure of the " # of Common Port Walls " ... someone? anyone?

So i dont think any online calculator is 100% accurate

i use the the12v.com though.

Edited by djjdnap

So i dont think any online calculator is 100% accurate

i use the the12v.com though.

lol... you trying to get me to use 12volt huh??? Here's the thing, their calculators are all separate... How does it work out right? I felt lost on their calculator... :peepwall::ughdunno:

lol no im not trying to get you to use that. lol

i was half ass reading, but

the 12volt calc

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#por

first find the volume.

then scroll back up to the round or slot port calc

not sure if u were still going with the round port or not