Sign in to follow this  
dpgriff

looking for sub suggestions

I don't think I will be buying a new sub anytime in the relatively near future but I do want to upgrade eventually. I currently have a 10" type r and I love it but I wouldn't mind something a little louder. I care more about quality than loudness. The problem with my type r is that it can be hard hearing really low notes. I drive a 97 corolla at the moment. I was looking at the fi q but i'm not sure if my electrical system would be able to handle the 1000w rms. Maybe with a capacitor? I don't want anything that will take up all the space in the trunk so i'd like to stick with 1 sub. A 12" sub to go in sealed box is what I should be looking for right? I know a lot of you on here have tons of experience with many different subwoofers. Please give me some recommendations/suggestions!

You could try a new box for your type-r, try a ported enclosure. That would give you some more low end.

As far as the Fi Q, it's a great driver and it digs real low ;)

And just because the rms is 1000watts does not mean it needs anywhere near a 1000watts to get loud or sound optimal.

Also a capacitor won't help any so don't bother with that. Although a small extra battery in the rear will (depending on how much power you decide to use it may not be worth it though).

I would list your max dimensions for where ever your planning on putting the enclosure.

Do you have any preference to the sound of sealed enclosures to ported enclosures?

Well to be completely honest I haven't heard that many subs up close in person. I got a sealed box because some people said their type r's sounded sloppy in ported enclosures compared to the sealed. I'm looking for tight punchy bass. Sealed enclosures are usually smaller and I wouldn't have to worry about a poorly designed box.

Whats your budget?

Theres the

ssa icon

fi ssd

jbl gto

id idq

and a bunch of other options

I'd like to keep it under $300 for the sub(s). After thinking about it I might consider two lower power 12"s if the quality is just as good and a sealed enclosure wouldn't be too big. I was also considering a 12" polk sr but haven't heard much about them. I'd also like to support the lesser known companies that build their subs in america. JL's are supposed to be nice but they are incredible expensive. Also, do they still make ID subs?

Edited by dpgriff

sundown is coming out with the x 8 and thats gonna be a beast. i got 1 sa 8 in 1 cube tuned @ 35 and it's unreal.they get real low and for 135 how can you beat that

sundown is coming out with the x 8 and thats gonna be a beast. i got 1 sa 8 in 1 cube tuned @ 35 and it's unreal.they get real low and for 135 how can you beat that

If he has the space to go with a 10" or 12", why bother with an 8"...

Better efficiency in terms of output and power.

I had one ssd 10 in a large sealed box and man did it hit the lows hard and sound very clean. a suggestion would be a fully loaded ssd 12 in a large sealed box, but this will also decrease power handling so that is something to be carefull with.

How much will i need to spend on an amp. Would I be ok using something like an mb quart amp?

have you ever heard an sa 8 in a nice ported box? im guessing no or you would'nt be saying why bother.

have you ever heard an sa 8 in a nice ported box? im guessing no or you would'nt be saying why bother.

i think he is simply implying that, if you can afford more cone area, then why not? :ughdunno:

A pair of sa8s ported on lower power (700-800 rms) would give you a good bit of low end extension, save some room and be easier on your electrical.

Edited by Ohjay

How do the dcons compare to the icons sq wise? Having two of the dcons would take up a lot more space but the amp would be cheaper and it would be about 400 watts less for the electrical system. What about dc subs? Are those mainly for spl? I'm asking because the level 2 10's have a suggested sealed box size of .75 cu ft which wouldn't be that much bigger than the icon box.

Edited by dpgriff

i thinking an Fi Q 12" or an ICON 12". either would be a good choice

DC subs are ok. Personally I would rather have an SSA or Fi product. I considered DC when I was looking into my setup. You seem worried about your electrical, which is a good thing don't get me wrong because more often than not people are trying to push a retarded amount of power from stock electrical, but if you want to run more power such as 1000w you likely can with the addition of the big 3 and a better starter battery. Keep in mind I said LIKELY. I cant say for sure. You may need a second battery depending on your car, but if its something you want go for it just monitor your voltage and upgrade as needed. Please don''t get it twisted I'm not telling you to overwork your electrical system and damage something. You never mentioned your dimensions. As stated a ported enclosure can potentially meet your needs and if your worried about your design there are tons of ppl around the forum who offer designs. Anyway from what you mentioned a single Q or Icon would be a nice choice, you dont necessarily have to run them to their full potential. Another great option would be a pair of SA12's. The great thing about these is (assuming you have the space and dont choose the sealed option on the Q) is they can all be ported and if you dont like it go back to sealed

Anyone have input on the sq of ascendant audio subwoofers? Specifically the 12" chaos.

And how about the incriminator audio flatlyne's? The 12" is 750w rms and $60 more but they were built for sq weren't they?

Are the IA subs built in the U.S. as well?