Sign in to follow this  
Cygnus

Ported box for a 12" 187

I have power limitations, just 400wrms via Soundtream Rubicon 400.1 CEA compliant. I friend of mine told me that with that power, is safer to tune the box 35hz. Thats the lowest he could go with the 187 due to the 2" vc. So I want to know how big the box could be for 1 12" 187 ported and the tuning.

First off don't listen to your buddy he's gonna get you in trouble. Stick to IA recommended enclosure sizes and tuning listed on their site.

oK, thats what I said to him. But he still saying that the recommendations are for more that 400 wrms.

He said that my amp could not be able to sustained those lows notes for daily driving. The highest tunnig for that sub is 33hz, IA wesite, so I want to go with that tunnig, but he want 35hz. By the way, he is going to make the box because I have 0 skills inthat area lol

Tune on box has nothing to do with amp unless it doesn't have an adjustable ssf and there's no such thing as under powering a sub.

Audibel already told you to stop listening to your friend, so why keep posting what ever it is that your friend said? He is feeding you bad information ok. So, why do you ask what sub is here for you when you have already chosent the 187?

Audibel already told you to stop listening to your friend, so why keep posting what ever it is that your friend said? He is feeding you bad information ok. So, why do you ask what sub is here for you when you have already chosent the 187?

lol man take it easy, relax. I mentioned that sub like and example. Ok, chill

lol man take it easy, relax. I mentioned that sub like and example. Ok, chill

He's right, ya know. Audibel gave you correct information and you ignored it. The RMS rating of that sub is 300 watts, that amp should be fine.

We get that he's asking a simple question, and he's not the most skilled in these things, but for God's sake, cut the guy some slack.

For the 187 12" ported, I'd have him build it at 2.0 cubic feet, tuned to 30 hertz. Gives you plenty of low end, and will allow your sub to soak up a little bit more power than if you were to go larger.

Don't let your "friend" feed you crap information.

Kef

We get that he's asking a simple question, and he's not the most skilled in these things, but for God's sake, cut the guy some slack.

For the 187 12" ported, I'd have him build it at 2.0 cubic feet, tuned to 30 hertz. Gives you plenty of low end, and will allow your sub to soak up a little bit more power than if you were to go larger.

Kef

So a smaller box allow the sub to "soak up a little bit more power"...I do not know that!! Thanks!

Kef

So a smaller box allow the sub to "soak up a little bit more power"...I do not know that!! Thanks!

Not necessarily. It's said it will take more power, but you're not throwing that kind of power at that sub. A larger box will generally be more efficient. So just stick to what the manufacturer recommends and you will be fine. IA recommends 2-2.5 cubes so I would stick to that range.