Chevy350TPI

Radar Detectors

Other than your eyes, if you're using one - what are you using and how much did it cost you ? And, of course ... your opinion.

I've got an old Bel 840i (I believe). When I say old, it is at least 5 yrs old. Seems to work just fine, fairly ready to give false alerts but pegs the real ones as well. NOTE, they are useless without the eyes that you pointed out in your initial post. I bought it originally for about $130-150 (too long ago to really remember). When I bought mine Bel was supplying the MN cops with Radar's, so I bought a Bel.

The reviews that I have read recently rate the PP8500 and Val1 as the best. Beware of used ones though as both have gone through a few firmware updates and hardware which could make a used one not really worth the savings. Both are around the $300 range.

Aren't they illegal in Canada? Your brake lights and their radar detectors will give you away if you use it. To combat that I wired my 68 Galaxy's brake lights to an off/on switch so I could stop them from lighting up if necessary.

Oh and most importantly, no way could I live without one. I am so used to it that I feel really naked when I don't have one. Get ready for that feeling once you start using one.

I've got an old Bel 840i (I believe).  When I say old, it is at least 5 yrs old.  Seems to work just fine, fairly ready to give false alerts but pegs the real ones as well.  NOTE, they are useless without the eyes that you pointed out in your initial post.  I bought it originally for about $130-150 (too long ago to really remember).  When I bought mine Bel was supplying the MN cops with Radar's, so I bought a Bel.

The reviews that I have read recently rate the PP8500 and Val1 as the best.  Beware of used ones though as both have gone through a few firmware updates and hardware which could make a used one not really worth the savings.  Both are around the $300 range.

Aren't they illegal in Canada?  Your brake lights and their radar detectors will give you away if you use it.  To combat that I wired my 68 Galaxy's brake lights to an off/on switch so I could stop them from lighting up if necessary.

Oh and most importantly, no way could I live without one.  I am so used to it that I feel really naked when I don't have one.  Get ready for that feeling once you start using one.

I never used one but a friend and I made a 10 hour trip to Dallas from Nashville and the entire time on the highway he did 80-85, his detector would go off, he'd slow down, pass cop on the side of the road, and get back up to 80ish. Saved us a lot of time and I am looking for a valentine 1 for my scion now.

nearly all of the car nuts around here swear by the valentine one.

they are nice, alot of features, pretty reliable, but expensive.

Beltronics Vector 995...excellent unit, sensitive enough, no false alerts (b/c of customizable settings and such...)

If you're interested, I could get you one from CC accom. for like $170. New with Warranty directly from the factory...Beltronics is literally like 15 minutes from my house. ;)

NG