Sign in to follow this  
MECHMAN

MECHMAN 14v Jeep alternator install!!!

Here's our 97 Jeep TJ with one of our 270a High Output bolt-in conversions charging 2 XS Power S1400 14v batteries. 14v power is where it's at for off-road, car audio, racing, anywhere you can't run a 16v system. Charging @ 16.8v FTW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txmBckhKHSA

For more info email eric@mechman.com

Charging @ 16.8!!! :drink40: Woofa in the front seat!!! :fing34::fing34:

Are you suggesting it is okay to run the alternator at 16v in order to maintain a straight 14v across the electrical? Wouldn't running it that way with 12v batteries not be good? And wouldn't running 14v batteries in a "daily" with car audio be a bad thing ?? I don't know these answers... Just read here and there.....

Awesome Vid ... Kinda like to know the answers to those questions myself ... :popcorn:

Are you suggesting it is okay to run the alternator at 16v in order to maintain a straight 14v across the electrical? Wouldn't running it that way with 12v batteries not be good? And wouldn't running 14v batteries in a "daily" with car audio be a bad thing ?? I don't know these answers... Just read here and there.....

Running it with 12v batteries would be very bad. Did you watch the video? We have 2 XS Power 14v batteries in the truck. We talk about them in the video and they are shown on the red rack under the rear of the vehicle.

There's nothing wrong with running 14v batteries in a so-called 'daily' vehicle. What's going to happen? The charging voltage is kept low in OE applications because the 12v flooded batteries can't handle charging voltage above 14.8-15 without damage. When you switch over to a 14v AGM battery you have to charge above 16v as recommended by XS Power and there are no negative side effects to running at higher voltage.

As long as the amps are able to handle voltage that high there is no problem at all. If your amp MFG says nothing over 16v this might not be for you.

Higher voltage is the way of the future, auto manufacturers have been pushing for 28v for 15+ years, battery companies and people who don't understand electricity are what is holding us back.

Read all you want, you will find those who are against it didn't have the proper equipment, installed it wrong or didn't use it at all, just listened to what Jimmy Joe Bob said-"you ain't got no good use for no 14v". The only thing standing in the way of it is PCM controlled charging systems.

Do the math, will your system produce more power @ 14.5v or 16.5v?

Edited by MECHMAN

Say you have a stock, everyday driver vehicle (no upgraded sound system) ...

You are saying that it is ok to run a 14.4 volt battery system in that vehicle ...

please, I'm not complaining (or whatever) in any way ... This is something I would really like to know ...

Thanks ...

You can run a 14v battery in your vehicle every day, you have to charge it at the correct voltage for it to work properly.

okay... that clears some stuff up.... so the car can survive on 14v or more??

side note: I don't know any sister lovers.... :ughdunno:

Running it with 12v batteries would be very bad. Did you watch the video? We have 2 XS Power 14v batteries in the truck. We talk about them in the video and they are shown on the red rack under the rear of the vehicle.

There's nothing wrong with running 14v batteries in a so-called 'daily' vehicle. What's going to happen? The charging voltage is kept low in OE applications because the 12v flooded batteries can't handle charging voltage above 14.8-15 without damage. When you switch over to a 14v AGM battery you have to charge above 16v as recommended by XS Power and there are no negative side effects to running at higher voltage.

As long as the amps are able to handle voltage that high there is no problem at all. If your amp MFG says nothing over 16v this might not be for you.

Higher voltage is the way of the future, auto manufacturers have been pushing for 28v for 15+ years, battery companies and people who don't understand electricity are what is holding us back.

Read all you want, you will find those who are against it didn't have the proper equipment, installed it wrong or didn't use it at all, just listened to what Jimmy Joe Bob said-"you ain't got no good use for no 14v". The only thing standing in the way of it is PCM controlled charging systems.

Do the math, will your system produce more power @ 14.5v or 16.5v?

:lolup:

I see my future.......................

Dual alt setup........................

Factory alt with another 16v alt :morepower1: :morepower1: :morepower1: :morepower1: :morepower1: :morepower1: :morepower1:

Yep, as long as it's not PCM controlled you should have no problem. The Jeep, Mustang and Silverado are all running 14v with no issues. I would turn up the charging on my Volvo if XS Power made a 13lb 14v battery but I am not ready to put a heavier battery in my autocross car. I can't run it in my Crown Vic, it's PCM controlled. Josh's airbagged S-10 is 14v too, the compressors run for a shorter time to fill the tanks and run cooler in the process.

The limitation in your common automotive charging system is the battery. 12v flooded batteries are the standard in the industry and everything is rated for 12v. The only issues I can see are amplifiers that have protection circuits that don't like the higher voltage or aftermarket engine managment needing the fuel tables adjusted due to the increased voltage. Modern PCM's will automatically compensate for the increased voltage.

The sister lover thing is a figure of speech, no offense intended to anyone in a non-traditional relationship........

Factory alt with another 16v alt :morepower1: :morepower1: :morepower1: :morepower1: :morepower1: :morepower1: :morepower1:

16v is nice if you can run dual alternators. We have done a few recently that worked out great, incredible output at that voltage.

Edited by MECHMAN

Yep, as long as it's not PCM controlled you should have no problem. The Jeep, Mustang and Silverado are all running 14v with no issues. I would turn up the charging on my Volvo if XS Power made a 13lb 14v battery but I am not ready to put a heavier battery in my autocross car. I can't run it in my Crown Vic, it's PCM controlled. Josh's airbagged S-10 is 14v too, the compressors run for a shorter time to fill the tanks and run cooler in the process.

The limitation in your common automotive charging system is the battery. 12v flooded batteries are the standard in the industry and everything is rated for 12v. The only issues I can see are amplifiers that have protection circuits that don't like the higher voltage or aftermarket engine managment needing the fuel tables adjusted due to the increased voltage. Modern PCM's will automatically compensate for the increased voltage.

The sister lover thing is a figure of speech, no offense intended to anyone in a non-traditional relationship........

16v is nice if you can run dual alternators. We have done a few recently that worked out great, incredible output at that voltage.

good stuff....

How would I know if my vehicle is PCM controlled?

It's a 2003 Toyota Camry 4cyl....

On your Camry my units will come with adjustable voltage and the 4cyl Camry can support our 270a unit.

ahhh... good to know... With my 12v setup I'd want to run no more than 15v through the system correct?

This was part of notes that came with my mechman alt.

Maximum battery voltage levels for most battery manufacturers:

12 volt battery: 14.9 volts

14 volt battery: 16.5 volts

16 volt battery: 19.0 volts

If you where to go with the 270alt with adjustable voltage you do like the video COLD START and set it around 15v, that way once your car and alt warms up the voltage should sit right around 14.8v might drop a little during the hot summer days, but once the sun goes down it will sit around 14.8v

Good luck.

Edited by crunkjuice1

thank you for that information crunk... very helpful.. :fing34:

Good info, if I knew about Mechman before I went with Ohio Alt. I would have purchased one. Maybe my next vehicle will get one. Do yall make them for Nissan maximas/altima 3.5L?

Edited by reelfish92

1-888-MECHMAN (632-4626)

Will get you the fastest response.

thank you for that information crunk... very helpful.. :fing34:

No problem. The main thing is you do not want to "gas" your batteries. They can take a high charge for only so long. The example I tell people is the instructions that come with an XSpower 12v battery.

They say not to charge over 15v longer than 5 minutes because you can potentially damage the battery.

AT NO TIME during charging should the battery be subjected to more than 2.4 volts per cell. Voltages above this will cause the battery to "gas" and once oxygen is vented it cannot be restored.

So thats why each level of battery has it's specific charging level and why you set the AVBM kind of high at cold start so once car warms up the voltage will have come down to safe charging level.

This applies to AGM batteries it might be the same for flooded batteries but I am not sure on that.

Edited by crunkjuice1

So, let's say you set it cold to 15.1v... that is within safe specs? Just curious because I remember a few DC Power owners mentioning their alternator running at about 15.1v, cold I guess...

Thats fine once the car and alt heats up the voltage will come down to around 14.6v. If you have a stinger voltage meter you can keep your eye on your voltage at the front battery and if its to high you can make fine adjustments on AVBM until you get it just right for your car.

I need to know... how does the alternator/regulator safely just "change" voltage???? I could virtually get the cheapest MechMan solution as long as I have the adjustable regulator and be okay?

Please don't hold me to what I'm about to say but I think the way it works is the potentiometer is what manipulates the alt to the set voltage within the wire harness, The regulator in the alt is what still controls itself by still being in communication with car in some way. I might be way off on this maybe someone that knows the way it works will jump in on this question.

Edited by crunkjuice1

The voltage regulator only sets max voltage, so setting it @ 15.1v cold with a load on it and the engine speed up will insure it won't overcharge. You are setting max charging voltage, but there are more variables in the works that determine system voltage.

The Jeep is getting some audio installed right now. So far we have a new Pioneer HU, 4 pair of CDT coaxials and are waiting for our 10" sub from Incriminator to arrive.

An open top TJ isn't going to get loud or have great SQ, we are just building a system that will sound good enough on the highway over the road noise and give something to listen to on the trails. There's no point in using expensive speakers on this build, they will be swapped out regularly due to exposure to the elements. The amp is being installed in the steel locking console as is the head unit, both to protect from mud, water, hail and the garden hose. It also will give just a little more theft protection. A custom-built sound bar in front will provide some of the sound as will the sound bar in the rear.

Pics and video to come.

Up next is a 14v install on a PCM controlled Ford, my car. This one is going to require a little engineering but we will make it happen. No check engine or battery lights allowed in my DD!