Sign in to follow this  
Micksh

SA-8 pre-ordered, time to build a box!

Just pre-ordered an SA-8 to play around with...can't wait to receive it! Gives me time to build the box. From what it looks like, something like a .75-1 cu. ft. ported around 34 or 35Hz should be a good starting point for good sound/efficiency right? Planning on running about 450-500 watts to it.

Jacob generally recommends a smaller enclosure when running anything over rated power. Most of what kills them is mechanical damage from over excursion. They have an absolute ton of motor force with a suspension that has a hard time keeping up, or in other words their thermal power handling outperforms the mechanical, in general.

However, I believe a person who's responsible with gain settings and the volume knob could get by just fine. I myself am planning on running about the same power to my 3 with the equivalent air space for each sub.

Yeah, I'm definitely not a person who's overzealous with the gains...I've done a lot of SQ competing in the past with WAY more power than most of the speakers were rated for without any problems, so I should be fine. I am just excited to see what that little beast will do after hearing all the great reviews on them!

Me too!!!!

(Note to self: Really need to get started on my build) :suicide-santa:

*edited*

I am planning to get a box made for a single sundown sa-8 DVC 2. So if Im planning to run about 800 watts to it, what size of a box should I have built?

Edited by beangrower

you can't wire a dual 2 ohm sub to 2 ohms

im planning on getting a box made for my single sa-8 also. so if i run 400 watts @ 2ohms to a dual 2...so a .75 cube box would be ideal. what if i brought down my amp to 1ohm pushing 800...would I need to then go smaller box. if so, what size roughly?

Complete sentences help us understand what you are trying to say. First off, you need to realize that a single dual 2ohm woofer can either be wired to 1 ohm or 4 ohms. It CANNOT be wired to 2ohms. As far as the enclosure volume goes, I am not sure since I have not had any experience with these woofers (yet). However, I you are going to double the RMS you probably want to stick to the lower end of the recommended range. You may be fine going all the way down to 0.6 cuft (the lowest recommended volume). I will leave that to someone else that has some experience with these woofers.

Complete sentences help us understand what you are trying to say. First off, you need to realize that a single dual 2ohm woofer can either be wired to 1 ohm or 4 ohms. It CANNOT be wired to 2ohms. As far as the enclosure volume goes, I am not sure since I have not had any experience with these woofers (yet). However, I you are going to double the RMS you probably want to stick to the lower end of the recommended range. You may be fine going all the way down to 0.6 cuft (the lowest recommended volume). I will leave that to someone else that has some experience with these woofers.

I see, thanks for the info.

Sign in to follow this