Sign in to follow this  
zdoc

bass cutting out at high volume

So I installed my system on wednesday and Im having a problem with my bass cutting out at higher volumes. If I turn it down it comes right back. I would say it cuts out around 2/3 volume depending on the song. i also tried with the sub gain in a range of position from 0 to half with it set on the radio at the center position. I checked the amp and the blue light stays on the entire time and no other lights come on.

Heres my current setup

vehicle 09 cobalt ss

radio stock

processor/loc mtx req

sub amp sundown sae 1000

subs (2) sa-12s d4

4 gauge wire

first time setup: subs wired to 1 ohm (verified on dmm), battery output at idle 14.2v, amp grounded at battery(in trunk). using auto sense on the req to supply turn on for remote. started having the problem so I checked the remote by hooking it straight up to 12 volts, that didnt help. changed the ground to chassis via seat latch (sanded to bare metal) still no change. I rewired the speakers to 4 ohms and verified with a dmm. Im still having the same problem and not sure where to go next. Should I try a plain old loc from walmart or something? I have used this amp before with no issues in another vehicle. Any advice on what to do next?

I have had multiple LOCs cause this problem in the past, but since you said you bypassed it, that can't be the issue.

I would try and find out if it is the amp or source, from your post, doesn't sound like the amp but you never know. Quick way to find out without test equipment would be to hook a different source up straight to the amp like an MP3 player and let it go balls out to see if it shuts down. If not, problem is the stock deck (low voltage causing shutdown?) or you LOC/eq....

Really, it is simple, you just have to start cutting the system in half and working from there. Be systematic about it, use your head, and you will figure it out or at least narrow it down to a section...

sounds like to me the stock radio is clipping at high volume it happens from time to time when useing a stock deck. you can try to get a better loc that has adjustable gains to help your signal from clipping :fing34:

Yea I have always had aftermarket radios before now. The mtx req does have adjustable gain but its not helping. New cars are such a pain with all the add ons to retain factory interfaces.

Yea I have always had aftermarket radios before now. The mtx req does have adjustable gain but its not helping. New cars are such a pain with all the add ons to retain factory interfaces.

ok so try to retune the system turn the radio up to as loud as it go and still plays well then adjust the sub amp to match :drink40:

Same problem with my seden and I have 4volt deck only go to volume 30 out of 35 and it shuts off. My problem is voltage dips and amp goes into protect thats my problem.