Sign in to follow this  
jFreezy

Big 3 with stock alternator?

Hi I am wondering if I should do the big 3 even though I'm not replacing my alternator. I have a 2005 Chevy 2500. I dont know my stock alternator's specs but I'm sure it can't be high. Should I do the big 3? I'm going to get either a kinetik 1800 or 2000 to put under my hood and I plan on running about 1200watts rms. If I do the big 3 should I use 4awg or 1/0awg? I don't know but I think 1/0 should be necessary of my alternator is stock.. But I dont know much either lol.

Do 1/0 if you plan on upgrading your equipment in the future, if not then 4 gauge will be plenty.

Do 1/0 if you plan on upgrading your equipment in the future, if not then 4 gauge will be plenty.

Agreed, if any upgrades are in the future just do it once! :fing34:

Agreed, if any upgrades are in the future just do it once! :fing34:

X3

I always end up using 1/0 anyways even though it is not necessary for smaller (under 2k rms or so) builds. I also prefer to add to the factory wiring whenever possible rather than replacing it. If you already have some #4 laying around and don't plan on running alot of power, it will work fine.

Thanks everyone. Ok, I just ordered some Kicker 1/0 and terminals from sonicelectronix.com. I'll update if I need any more help.

Definitely do the "Big 3" whether upgrading or not, your alt will love you!