jrod1050

Old school Alpine deadhead decks

Im mainly looking at the Alpine 7998 and 7995. Both units are deadhead units. Are they made with higher quality parts since there is no internal amplifier? Do they have better sound? I know the 7998 is going to have the advantage because it has better time alignment and better eq options. But just wanting the opinion of guys that have experience with older alpine units. Im also looking at the 7897, its not a deadhead deck put I hear its also extremely nice. Any opinions?

having no internal amp doesn't mean they're made with higher quality parts, just that there's less chance of introducing noise. Should they sound better, yes, are they guaranteed to, no.

almost the same reason some units allow you to turn off the display, anything that the HU does that isn't making wanted sound has a chance of introducing unwanted sound.

That being said I have no experience with any alpine units so I can't comment on their quality but I've heard great things about the 7998.

I just bought a Alpine CDA-7995 about two weeks age to replace the JVC KD-R300 that came with the Cutlass.

I have to get it installed still, as well as the rest of the componets, before i can give any opinion on it....

I did not think anyone was into them any more, lol.

Figure I got it for a good price due to this.

My GF and I both high very high-end SQ based head units neither one are deadheads.

Most high end head units have the option to turn the internal amp off anyway, so the need for a dead head is essentially void.

Just get the one that you like the most/can afford.

As I mentioned, got mine for what i thought was a good deal...$60 bucks.

It sorta found me.....lol

I would say my level of sq orientated anything is slim to none.

I do own a pair of SSA XCONs! So that is one plus, right!

My GF and I both high very high-end SQ based head units neither one are deadheads.

Most high end head units have the option to turn the internal amp off anyway, so the need for a dead head is essentially void.

Just get the one that you like the most/can afford.

I can't think of any decks I'd consider "very high-end SQ based head units" that have an internal amp off hand.

Primary reason for not having an internal amp in "high end" decks is that most people at that level will be using external amplification anyways so there's no need for an internal amp, saves cost and engineering in an area that can be put towards other uses, and it makes more space for other features.

That said, not having an internal amplifier doesn't automatically make the HU significantly better.

Let me know how you like that 7995 when you get it installed chopp. Any more opinions on the subject will be greatly appreciated. For some reason I have always like alpine decks over everything else i have tried