pimpedout97x

dayton PC setup help

i already have all the gear, pretty budget setup, just need to build 2 towers. the only place i have room for them is on my desk (its a 10' long desk i built, ill post a pic). i dont have any floor space.

these are the drivers/amps i have:

4 of these 10s: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-485

1 of these for the subs: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-804

2 pairs of these, which for $29/pair (when i ordered them), sound GREAT IMO. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-652

1 of these, currently powering the above speakers in their stock enclosures: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

now, with the above gear, im looking to build 2 towers. always wanted to build some badass towers (i realize its pretty budget speakers especially the subs, but im going to make it work. i can still make the towers look badass.

again, since they're going on my desk, im not sure how the subs will sound in that location rather than on the floor, but its what im working with, so i have to live with it. space wise, the base of each tower can be about 18" x 18", and really however tall need be to get the required airspace. should i go sealed/ported/bandpass on the subs? its only for a PC/music setup, mostly rap.

as for the mids, i planned on leaving them in the stock boxes if i was just going to build a plain sub box, but since i dont have room on the floor for the subs, i might as well just throw the mids/tweets in the towers. hopefully with a better built box than the stock enclosures, i can maybe get the mids sounding even better than they do now.

ideas please :)

i already have all the gear, pretty budget setup, just need to build 2 towers. the only place i have room for them is on my desk (its a 10' long desk i built, ill post a pic). i dont have any floor space.

these are the drivers/amps i have:

4 of these 10s: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-485

1 of these for the subs: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-804

2 pairs of these, which for $29/pair (when i ordered them), sound GREAT IMO. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-652

1 of these, currently powering the above speakers in their stock enclosures: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

now, with the above gear, im looking to build 2 towers. always wanted to build some badass towers (i realize its pretty budget speakers especially the subs, but im going to make it work. i can still make the towers look badass.

again, since they're going on my desk, im not sure how the subs will sound in that location rather than on the floor, but its what im working with, so i have to live with it. space wise, the base of each tower can be about 18" x 18", and really however tall need be to get the required airspace. should i go sealed/ported/bandpass on the subs? its only for a PC/music setup, mostly rap.

as for the mids, i planned on leaving them in the stock boxes if i was just going to build a plain sub box, but since i dont have room on the floor for the subs, i might as well just throw the mids/tweets in the towers. hopefully with a better built box than the stock enclosures, i can maybe get the mids sounding even better than they do now.

ideas please :)

Ok, First I have the B652's. I built a better box for them and they can sound better. They have a bump at ~120hz because the box is a little small. Toss the box they came in, but make sure you keep the capacitor. Increase the box size to .5 cf. this will lessen the bump as you will have real bass when you add the 10's. I'd suggest two subs per box firing out the sides so the boxes won't move when you turn it up. Wire all 4 subs to the amp to get a 4ohm load. Give away or sell the other set of B652's.

Duane

I didn't give box size or tuning because I was at the wrong computer. Anyway sealing two of the 10's in a 3cf box will give you a f3 of 45hz. I wouldn't think that will work well for rap. So can you make room for 2 - 5cf boxes? tuned to 30hz, should be very loud! f3 of 33hz. SPL for all four is modeled at 119db 40-50 hz falling to 115 at 30hz.

Duane

PWK Could design you a masterful enclosure based on the T/s and fs, etc... For your perfect bass response. I say build a nice 4th order= OR two. It couldn't be bad. Maybe controversial, and obvious, but never a bad idea. It would make them very efficient., even if they dont want to play low frequencies. You can still get them loud and clean, My single 6.5" 8ohm woofer pumps down to 28Hz in a sealed box set into Under-stairs cabinet. Very clean to. port is 1" deep, then is probably 10" wide and bout 25" tall. in fact any sub a throw in tehre sounds SICK at listening position.

I say sealed box, wrapped in a big ported chamber. should be smooth sailing :captain:

Nice suggestions. Yes I have room for 2 5cuft boxes.

Duane, why do you suggest getting rid of the other pair of speakers? I currently have one pair on each channel of that Dayton t-amp (4ohm per ch) and they sound great and the amp doesn't heat up much at all.

PWK Could design you a masterful enclosure based on the T/s and fs, etc... For your perfect bass response. I say build a nice 4th order= OR two.

As long as you mean 4th order ported, if you recommending a BP you are seriously lost.

Nice suggestions. Yes I have room for 2 5cuft boxes.

Duane, why do you suggest getting rid of the other pair of speakers? I currently have one pair on each channel of that Dayton t-amp (4ohm per ch) and they sound great and the amp doesn't heat up much at all.

Running two tweeters in any tower isn't what you want to do.

Why is that, to me it sounds good now with two mids and tweets per side. That's just me though. We all know I have different ears than you lol :-p

Why is that, to me it sounds good now with two mids and tweets per side. That's just me though. We all know I have different ears than you lol :-p

To you, interesting. Have you compared to a setup that doesn't have the highs murdered with two tweeters? Another way of asking that is what sounds better to you with both pairs running? What orientation have you chosen when you are running both pairs?

Either way, the tweeter is (or better be if its an even half decent design) padded such that it doesn't overpower the mid. You "could" run two and suffer all the negatives and pad them both, but that makes no sense. Of course you could use both mids and one tweeter (and maintain the same output from the tweeter due to reduced pad), but this would require a completely new crossover and along with it come costs that exceed what you have in drivers so I would think that to be a rather interesting choice that I'd never make.

Because the tweeters will cancel each other out at some frequencys and add at others. As you move around the room the frequency response will change. This is a bigger problem with highs as their wave length is shorter.

You can try listening to some well recorded music. You should be able to hear the singer in the center like you have a center channel. And all the insterments should be coming from some where you can pick out. See how much different of sounds with only one pair of speakers. (try to keep the loudness the same.) Let me know what you think.

Duane

Ill try that out Duane. But I've had them setup like this for months, and I'm pretty happy with 2 mids and 2 tweeters per side. You guys know I'm not into perfect SQ like you guys lol.

To you, interesting. Have you compared to a setup that doesn't have the highs murdered with two tweeters? Another way of asking that is what sounds better to you with both pairs running? What orientation have you chosen when you are running both pairs?

Either way, the tweeter is (or better be if its an even half decent design) padded such that it doesn't overpower the mid. You "could" run two and suffer all the negatives and pad them both, but that makes no sense. Of course you could use both mids and one tweeter (and maintain the same output from the tweeter due to reduced pad), but this would require a completely new crossover and along with it come costs that exceed what you have in drivers so I would think that to be a rather interesting choice that I'd never make.

The tweeter isn't padded. Just a cap. On the tweeter. It is hot! I didn't req. Going to an MTM because the xo would need to be changed. And the tweeter might not be eff. Enough.

Duane

Yea I agree on the tweets. They aren't incredibly loud. Having both doesn't seem like overkill. They aren't like I'm using bullet tweeters m5 lol!

Either way, the tweeter is (or better be if its an even half decent design) padded such that it doesn't overpower the mid.

The tweeter isn't padded. Just a cap. On the tweeter. It is hot! I didn't req. Going to an MTM because the xo would need to be changed. And the tweeter might not be eff. Enough.

Duane

Confirmed its not even a half decent design then :( No excuse for that IMO. Easy to fix though :)

You guys know I'm not into perfect SQ like you guys lol.

This isn't about SQ but sounds like shit or not. Still curious about what you like better about having both versus just one pair.

To be honest, they sound just as good either way. I'm just not as much of an audiophile as you in that respect to nit pick the what to me is a minimal difference in sound. No disrespect, I just can't say that the way I have it setup now sounds bad vs just one pair.

To be honest, they sound just as good either way. I'm just not as much of an audiophile as you in that respect to nit pick the what to me is a minimal difference in sound. No disrespect, I just can't say that the way I have it setup now sounds bad vs just one pair.

If they sound just as good either way why are you then using both pairs?

Then do some serious listening and compare. You are about to go down a dubious path if you try to implement them together in a tower...

If they sound just as good either way why are you then using both pairs?

I actually thought the same thing when I read that.

Let me rephrase. I like both hooked up, I think it sounds better.

In what way? So far with no reasons I have to assume placebo.

Idk how to explain it. Sounds louder with double the drivers, I just prefer it over a single pair. Me nor anyone that has heard it says it sounds bad. But again i know you're way more into true "SQ" than i am, so...