Disarmer

Brand New 2011 SSD Making Funny Noise

Finally got my 2011 SSD and installed it today. It's making a loud "popping" noise when it plays. I thought it might be because it wasn't sealing against the box right, but after several hours and a bead of silicon around the mounting ring, the pop is still there in full force.

In person it sounds more like a metallic slapping than what the video shows (The last two hits in the video sound more realistic at the very end)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egh_QLqf4ug

Ideas?

That's really weird.

Fill out the warranty card and send it in.

That's what I was afraid was going to have to be done. Was just trying to avoid another several bassless weeks and $20+ shipping charges

Sure its not a loose dust cap? check around the glue joint for any separation. does it always do it at any volume or only when its turned up?

What it probably is..is a loose cap.

Typically what will happen is the sub will move too much (ie leaky sealed box at first) which will stretch the surround back and deform the cone body..which will pop the cap loose if it doesn't just stay on there.

Take it off if you want and you can re-apply it with a glue called the amazing Goop...can be had at autozone or any place like walmart. Comes in a blue tube.

if it turely is a defect, then i feel they should eat all shipping cost involved with the return!

what happened with me i shipped mine back i paid for it, then they shipped it back to me for free.

Sure its not a loose dust cap? check around the glue joint for any separation. does it always do it at any volume or only when its turned up?

Only when it's turned up. I'll go check for dust cap issues in a bit.

What it probably is..is a loose cap.

Typically what will happen is the sub will move too much (ie leaky sealed box at first) which will stretch the surround back and deform the cone body..which will pop the cap loose if it doesn't just stay on there.

Take it off if you want and you can re-apply it with a glue called the amazing Goop...can be had at autozone or any place like walmart. Comes in a blue tube.

That's possible. I'll go check and see what I can do.

if it turely is a defect, then i feel they should eat all shipping cost involved with the return!

what happened with me i shipped mine back i paid for it, then they shipped it back to me for free.

This is how returns usually work, sadly.