burko

Weird Noise

I got done (for now) sound deadening my truck today, and when testing, I noticed there was still a bit of a rattle coming from some unknown location. I put my hand on a bunch of metal panels, sat on the box, nothing. Finally, I decided I would wait till daylight to really diagnose the problem. Later, I put a shirt over the port to see how much air was moving... The sound stopped. I removed the shirt, it started again. Did it a couple more times and the same thing happened... Am I missing something, or do I just need to dress up ( :roflmao::Doh: ) my box for it to want to work properly?

I'm stumped.

Your vent is too small and the air is chuffing causing the noise you hear.

of the port or baffle is loose and viberating. when you put the shirt on it the weight stops the rattle

I wouldn't say the noise is a "chuff," it's a very metallic, mechanical sound.

Does it go away if you raise the subsonic filter setting?

Does it go away if you raise the subsonic filter setting?

I haven't tried. I don't believe the woofer is bottoming out, it's not a very low note where this happens.

Air leaks and turbulence can have "odd" sounds that normally wouldn't lead you to believe it was that.

Could also be the speaker cable rattling in the enclosure or hitting the driver. . . Or mechanical noise of the driver itself. . . Or. . . .

Try another song !

I had a "problem" like this one when I received my sub. I was so scared :puzzled: ! and finally, it was the record I was testing with.

I tried a test tone cd with all the bass notes, one by one, and never noticed any unwanted noise.:drink40:

Just an idea !

scary... hopefully it's the recording... or maybe a SSF adjustment can take care of it..

D:

You guys have me scared! I'll check for air leaks, then the wiring, then... I don't know.

Although, I'm starting to think it may just be the song. I haven't really noticed it on any other song/note.

Is this a new enclosure? I have an enclosure that makes a nasty ass mechanical sound when then volume gets about halfway up. It has the shittiest port I've seen since the 1990's. Thanks Kev!

play test tones dude... there are a shyt ton of them on here...

Yes, fairly new. I built it, and I used a pretty deliberate amount of RTV in all corners.

What would be the best way to check for leaks? Just look at it, play a tone and listen for it, or...

Yes, fairly new. I built it, and I used a pretty deliberate amount of RTV in all corners.

What would be the best way to check for leaks? Just look at it, play a tone and listen for it, or...

You could pour some water in and see if it leaks out anywhere. *big grin*

Here's some test tones you could try: http://storage.stefanhinote.com/AA.net _Test_Tones.zip

By the way, it's thundering at my house.

Well, my box was jumping around pretty bad, so I strapped it down to my false floor a little better. While this solved the bouncing issue, it didn't solve the noise. When messing around with it, I noticed that when I pushed on the top-half of the front of the box, elevating it from the false floor, the noise quit (or at least sounded like it, my whole body was shaking). This led me to believe that the noise was coming from the box bouncing on the false floor, but unfortunately, this wasn't the case. I think what I'll do next is play like a 25-30Hz tone at a fairly low volume, just enough to move some air, and hold a piece of paper around all edges of the box to see if there are any leaks. Sound like a good idea? :ughdunno: