dpgriff

Building an enclosure

I've been thinking about upgrading my system sometime next year. I'm thinking about getting 2 10" fcons when they are released. I should have the space for a ported enclosure but don't want to pay a shop to do it and I think it would be fun to do myself. The thing is that I don't have a lot of experience with wood working. Would it be hard for someone like myself to build their own enclosure? I'm not trying to do anything fancy just a rectangular box. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to get my hands on all the tools needed. Would I need any other power tools besides a circular saw and a jig saw?

Circular saw would be fine as long as you have a nice straight edge to use. A table saw and sliding miter saw will make life easier, however.

Also, a plunge router and circle jig will make life easier when cutting out the speaker holes compared to a jigsaw.

But a circular saw & jig saw will "work".

Also, some good clamps and corner clamps will make assembly go more smoothly.

A table saw would help.

If you can get / borrow a plunge router with a jasper jig then cutting circular holes for the drivers will be easy, if not you can use the jigsaw for it.

Make sure you have a bunch of big clamps, those will come in handy.

I would get some wood and just do some practice cuts.

Also, for like twenty to thirty bucks you can have RAM Designs make an enclosure design for you, along with cutout sheets, that should make things a bit easier.

Wow, Imp literally just posted right before me. Now I sound redundant. :P

You can get your wood cut at Home Depot but i suggest you double,tripe,quadruple check the measurements they can be off by 1-2 inches.

You can get your wood cut at Home Depot but i suggest you double,tripe,quadruple check the measurements they can be off by 1-2 inches.

Yeah, the majority of the time they fuck up the measurements.

if you need a straight edge lowes carries an accurip rip guide. It works well, but is flawed because it doesnt guide for the last few inches. Its not a big deal as long as you draw a line that you can follow free hand for that last bit.

fucked me over by 4 inches total.

fucked me over by 4 inches total.

A table saw would help.

If you can get / borrow a plunge router with a jasper jig then cutting circular holes for the drivers will be easy, if not you can use the jigsaw for it.

Hey, come up with something original next time instead of just copying everything I say.

:P

Thanks for the input. I'll have to see if I know anyone with a table saw I can use. I most likely could barrow I router if my dad doesn't already have one and buy the jig.

A table saw would help.

Hey, come up with something original next time instead of just copying everything I say.

:P

Hey I was just looking through your window and didn't see anything else I could copy and say. :D