cloud77

power handling from magnet

i. I have an old Fi Q that I need to get reconed. When I cut up the soft parts and cleaned up the basket I. Saw it had "Q D2". I figured that would give away the time period in which it was made. I was wondering the power handling of the magnet, as I was thinking of reconing it with a BL recone kit. Could I do that with a Q magnet? I have a mmatts d300hc reconing it to a dual 1 would be my plan. Could the BL recone work with this magnet?

Short answer, No.

Long answer is Probably not they are two different motors and two different beasts.

No, PSI answer is

"Heres a funky pup... lets add some shitty spiders and big unnecessary leads.. Bam it'll handle 3,500 Watts no problem".

Alright. With the Q recone on the site..everything should fit in place the way it should bc they all have universal 3" coils? Coil reccomendation for everyday music playing and amp specs? Copper? Flatwind? I want to run everything clean def want enough leeway for some fun to happen. How much wattage you think a 1 can handle that is this old without the bp options exc.

A BL coil will fit just fine, but you want a Q coil. The BL coil is very short in relation to the Q. The motor and coil of the Q are optimized for each other, changing to BL coils won't make it anywhere close to a BL.

A BL coil will fit just fine, but you want a Q coil. The BL coil is very short in relation to the Q. The motor and coil of the Q are optimized for each other, changing to BL coils won't make it anywhere close to a BL.

Thx duran. Power handling of a Q @ 2 ohm without the cooling options and copper coil? Flatwind?

Stock, it's closer to 1,000 watts than 1,500 regardless of impedance. Power handling goes up a lot when you get cooling and the flatwound coil, I recommend them, if money is the issue it's worth it to save for the upgrades.

Cool thanks man. With the cooling option and flatwound coil and everyday music playing, what type of enclosure would you reccomend for this sub? Right now I have a 2-2.5 cu. Ft box. Love low bass..should I go ported? The leads split at the middle one at a time last time I had it in that box..suggests excursion..coils were fine though I had it hooked up 4 ohm as it previously was a dual 2 ohm vc. But after the one lead split I hooked just the one coil at 2 ohm and it was louder but not as clean sounding. Explanation? I'm guessing my motor is universal so I can change impedance of the sub to dual 1 and rrun it at 2 ohm? I have a mmats d300hc, specs outstanding @ 2 ohmage=)

1000 watts is about it for that motor...but, you need to order the right recone for the right sub...other people have this idea that they can stuff BTL parts in anything and it automatically makes it a BTL..which could not be any more wrong. If that were the case I would buy every sub that walmart has out and stuff BTL parts in it and sell it for far more profit.

You don't get more thermal power handling from putting a different soft part arrangement in a motor and just hood rig stuff together. There's a reason why the parts are set up how they are and why they are done how they are...you don't get big block parts to stick into a small block :)

1000 watts is about it for that motor...but, you need to order the right recone for the right sub...other people have this idea that they can stuff BTL parts in anything and it automatically makes it a BTL..which could not be any more wrong. If that were the case I would buy every sub that walmart has out and stuff BTL parts in it and sell it for far more profit.

You don't get more thermal power handling from putting a different soft part arrangement in a motor and just hood rig stuff together. There's a reason why the parts are set up how they are and why they are done how they are...you don't get big block parts to stick into a small block :)

I agree...ESPECIALLY with that last sentence :lol2:

Right on stang..thanks for your input. You might have just given some ideas tosome craigslisters on how to list their pair of duals for 400 a pair. LOL. Following up with ordering the recone today. Kinda upset that I won't be able to run 1500 watts to this sub but I must have been running it 700 @ 4 ohm and is was clean and solid. Still haven't gotten an idea for a new enclosure design ported or sealed bc the one I have right now is all holed up prollly lots of impedance drop. Any idea of the increment of power increase cooling options and flatwound coils might yield for this motor?

Don't want to do flatwinds in it, you're going to kill excursion and low end output.

Don't want to do flatwinds in it, you're going to kill excursion and low end output.

Ok so copper it is? why is this? Thanks for your input

Ok so copper it is? why is this? Thanks for your input

No, it is an aluminum long coil to give you more excursion..

If you want a flat wind coil, your xmax is going to go to about 16mm or so...which is definitely not what you want to do.