kendall64

what hertz is best for my truck??

so this last weekend i went to my first ever spl competition and i didnt meter as well as i would have hoped but people were nice enough to help me out. one of the suggestions was find the right hertz for my truck. so i was hoping someone on here has a truck like or knows someone that has a truck like mine and knows the right hertz for my truck. i have a two door tahoe i have 4 12'' ppi pcx subs in a 6.5 cubic foot box with two 6'' round ports tuned at 32 hertz. i got told that i need to make a square wooden port and it needs to be at least 18'' in length i dont know if thats right or not so id thought id ask. i plan on making another new port this weekend for my next competition. my first run i metered a weak 138.9 and peaked at 44 hertz and my second run with my driver side door open i did 138.9 and peaked at 55 hertz. if anyone can help that would be awesome thank you

People do tons of testing to find the proper tuning to score high numbers. I know you will need to tune higher looking in the 40s maybe start at 40 even and work up its a try and try again kinda thing also firing direction will help along with proper sound deading lots and lots of things to try and change

Are you building this strictly for competition or is this your daily listening system?

If it's your daily listening system then I'd say fuck it, as long as you are happy with how it sounds then don't worry about the meter.

If this is a system for competitions, then you have a lot to learn. A 32hz tuning isn't going to have an extremely high peak SPL on the meter. In determining the best frequency to play the vehicle is part of the equation, but the combination of the vehicle plus the enclosure are going to determine what frequencies works best for your particular scenario. It's not something we can tell you over the internet, you have to do some testing to figure it out.

I don't know who gave you that information about the port, but it seems extremely arbitrary. What's important for a port is having sufficient cross sectional area and low port turbulence. It doesn't have to be a slot port, round ports can work great especially with proper flare. And it doesn't have to be a certain minimum length....the length depends on your tuning.

I wish we could have made it to Bixby but funds didn't allow it. We will probably show up at IFO this weekend (we'll be about 10-15 deep with a couple spl vehicles) or State Finals the weekend after next but I will not be competing as the subs have been sold as of yesterday. New subs have been ordered though so we will be back up and bangin' soon. 2 new builds coming soon hopefully.

Are you building this strictly for competition or is this your daily listening system?

If it's your daily listening system then I'd say fuck it, as long as you are happy with how it sounds then don't worry about the meter.

If this is a system for competitions, then you have a lot to learn. A 32hz tuning isn't going to have an extremely high peak SPL on the meter. In determining the best frequency to play the vehicle is part of the equation, but the combination of the vehicle plus the enclosure are going to determine what frequencies works best for your particular scenario. It's not something we can tell you over the internet, you have to do some testing to figure it out.

I don't know who gave you that information about the port, but it seems extremely arbitrary. What's important for a port is having sufficient cross sectional area and low port turbulence. It doesn't have to be a slot port, round ports can work great especially with proper flare. And it doesn't have to be a certain minimum length....the length depends on your tuning.

im gunna make my box where i can interchange the ports so i can have spl and daily and i was thinking of making my port 20''x5'' at 40 or 45 hertz

I wish we could have made it to Bixby but funds didn't allow it. We will probably show up at IFO this weekend (we'll be about 10-15 deep with a couple spl vehicles) or State Finals the weekend after next but I will not be competing as the subs have been sold as of yesterday. New subs have been ordered though so we will be back up and bangin' soon. 2 new builds coming soon hopefully.

you didnt miss much in bixby there was 4 sq guys and only 3 spl guys no body was in my class so i was a shoe in win but a w is a w lol but ill be at the state finals and ill be running my truck just to see if my new port change makes a difference or not but i hope to maybe get in touch with you at state cause i could use all the help i can get i really liked competing i just need to know more. i learned a ton this weekend and hope to learn more next weekend

People do tons of testing to find the proper tuning to score high numbers. I know you will need to tune higher looking in the 40s maybe start at 40 even and work up its a try and try again kinda thing also firing direction will help along with proper sound deading lots and lots of things to try and change

i got told to take a single sub and put it in a sealed box and get a term lab and find my best hertz for my truck but i dont have a term lab or know anybody with one that can let me borrow one and i dont know if the local shops around here will let me use there term lab just to find my hertz and i probably do need sound deading cause i have none but i was hoping that someone had the same truck i did and knew the hertz for it

Get yourself an SPL-Lab meter then. ;)

You should stick with your 6" aeroports and change the lengths on those. It's easier than using a slot port that's interchangeable.

I will likely be using a removable slot port on mine, I do think aeros would be easier though.

You should stick with your 6" aeroports and change the lengths on those. It's easier than using a slot port that's interchangeable.

where can i find one for cheap cause the ones ive seen are like 600 and i might stick with aeroports but i havent made up my mind yet

I will likely be using a removable slot port on mine, I do think aeros would be easier though.

well maybe you could take a look at mine at state and give me some tips on how to make it better

where can i find one for cheap cause the ones ive seen are like 600 and i might stick with aeroports but i havent made up my mind yet

pm shizzzon and see if he has any b-stocks left. You won't need 600 dollars. ;)

Those Tahoe's tend to not get too loud... As to what ive seen. 45-49 hz is what i peak at in a 2002 Tahoe. If you slide your box toward the trunk a bit you will meter a bit higher. I slide my box to where theres about 6-8 inches of clearence to the trunk and i meter 1.5+db everytime. Idk if it will work in your case but hope it does.

Those Tahoe's tend to not get too loud... As to what ive seen. 45-49 hz is what i peak at in a 2002 Tahoe. If you slide your box toward the trunk a bit you will meter a bit higher. I slide my box to where theres about 6-8 inches of clearence to the trunk and i meter 1.5+db everytime. Idk if it will work in your case but hope it does.

thats what two people told me at the comp so im gunna try it and see if it will work for me

Yea it works most of the time. Also fold down any seats there is and if you are doing Outlaw style comp leave the door shut while metering and then open the door really fast and close it back up. Ive seen a tahoe ain .2 db doing this.