Sign in to follow this  
Miles

Box build for Fi SSD 15

I didn't get any pictures during the process (camera was down and decided to not come on until it was all done). But the box is 3.3 cubic feet with 48 sq in of port tuned to 32 hz. This is also the first time i've ever done a kerf port, and i thought it turned out pretty good.

Questions? Comments?

DSC01769.jpg

DSC01770.jpg

DSC01771.jpg

DSC01773.jpg

That is a really nice box. Any paint/wraping gonna be done to the box?

As of now it will be left bare. The kid i made it for won't get his sub for another couple of weeks, so he might do something in the mean time with it. Never done a Kerfed box before so i hope it sounds as good as i think it will.

I love the look of plain mdf but it ends up getting stains and dirty if not well taken care of. The kerf looks good though. Post a vid when sub is installed :D

Yeah i hope he takes good care of it. And as soon as he gets the sub in i'll have to make a trip back up to get a video. I'm hoping to find a sub around Stillwater before tomorrow to test this box out with.

I didn't get any pictures during the process (camera was down and decided to not come on until it was all done). But the box is 3.3 cubic feet with 48 sq in of port tuned to 32 hz. This is also the first time i've ever done a kerf port, and i thought it turned out pretty good.

Questions? Comments?

DSC01770.jpg

I think the kerf turned out great! It looks fantastic. My only hitch is I don't see any glue under the kerf in this picture, of course I have a tendency to get a little excessive with the glue myself. I figure its cheaper and easier to wipe up any visible excess and waste a little than it is to repair a joint that doesn't bond. I'm not saying I that I don't think you glued it, I just prefer to see it squeezed out of the joints myself.

Anyway, I think it looks great, keep up the great work!

Thanks. And yeah i glued the piece down, but when i glue i run a bead along the piece i'm gluing, then spread it thin. The best glue joint is one with not much space between the two boards. I'm too cheap to waste glue. Haha. But i do go overboard on the glue if you cant see the joint. On this joint the glue all happened to squeeze out into the box for some reason.

And thanks again for the compliments. This is the first one i've done and will surely do more if i get the business (even though stillwater is the home of Kicker and we have 4 stereo shops, nobody wants to pay the money for a custom box sadly).

Here in my area alot of people go to the local shops rather than me to get a box. I build pretty good enclosures and for a hell of a price but they seem to get sucked into the local's shop crazy prices.

That looks hella' nice! The SSD should look great in that box. Where can i get bedliner like that?

I'm just down the road in Seminole. It's nice to see more people from this area. Are you going to IFO this weekend or MECA state finals next weekend?

That looks hella' nice! The SSD should look great in that box. Where can i get bedliner like that?

I got it at OReillys. They are the only place that sells that kind of bedliner. It goes on nice and thick but comes out really smooth (almost feels soft).

I'm just down the road in Seminole. It's nice to see more people from this area. Are you going to IFO this weekend or MECA state finals next weekend?

Ok. I think i'll be going to Meca in Tulsa next weekend if i don't have any other plans. May compete may not. My truck only does a 140.0 with 1 12 off 800 watts behind the seats (single cab) so idk how competitive that will be.

Not a bad score for what your running.

Throw an 18" in there! :P

Finally got the sub in. These aren't my pictures, but i'll be getting some of my own this weekend. With only 500 watts its sounding very good and getting surprisingly loud.

294251_2386639992889_1457476853_32832015_636691237_n.jpg

305336_2386642152943_1457476853_32832020_1394216540_n.jpg

294760_2386643632980_1457476853_32832021_75200762_n.jpg

Looks good! I got the chrome blue on one of my Fi subs too! I didn't like how well it blended in with the black though. :(

That flared port really added to the box though! Nice job.