Miles

2 SA10's in a single cab

I'm about to sell my Fi Bl 12 and was looking at the SA series subs. I've never done 10's, so i was looking at doing 2 10's (of course the box will be behind the seat). I can fit up to 2.8 cubes behind the seat, but looking at about 2.3 after port and sub displacement. My current setup does a 140.0 on the dash (at 40 hz), the box is tuned to 28 hz, and it smashes the lows like no other. I'm wanting to know what would be a good box volume and port area to run 2 10's in that would get me into that range, or hopefully higher. Also, i'll be running about 1300-1400 wrms to the pair. I know there are a lot of factors that go into how loud a setup is, so i would like to tune the box to 34 hz for a good overall sound. I've had my fun with the LOWWWWSS, but i'd like it to be a little better 45 hz and up.

Thank you.

I tend to tune around 35hz for my tuning as that seems to sound best for my listening tastes. Your looking at roughly 2.5-3.0 cubic feet for a pair of SA-10". I would look to do 2 4" Aeros side firing into the cab corners of your truck.

I've modeled it in WinISD and it looks like 2.3 cubes with 30 sq in of port tuned to 34 hz will peak around 40 (theoretically). I can only fit up to 2.4 cubes so that's my volume limit. I've only modeled this though, and would like actual real world opinions on what would be best suited for me with the power i'm running.

Also, what would be louder to the meter (since both will be the same loudness to the ear): port firing drivers side, or firing passengers side?

Edited by Miles

I have done plenty of truck installs and side firing in a single cab has produced the best results. I have a full size GMC extended cab and ran a single IA DR 18" off 1 Sundown SAX-1200D and before I sold it, it consistently hit 146.3-146.5 on the SPL-Labs LCD Meter at 42HZ.

Nice. I'm hoping to get the SA's in about 2 or 3 months (hopefully sooner!). i can't wait to see what they do. I'll be running them off about 600-700 a piece. Hoping to break a 142 with them (meter on the dash and passenger door open is the format i compete in). With the port firing passenger side, will it be louder on the dash or outlaw in the kick? With an older box i built and port firing drivers side, it was about 4 dB louder in the kick than on the dash.

I just installed 4-SA 10's and am using my bro's speaker amp bridged until my SAZ 3000 gets here, lets just say im putting like 50-75 watts to each one box tuned at like 33-34hz on lows my roof is flexing and my water in my water bottle is going ballistic.. this like like 200-300wrms total Rofl.. So 2 of these things at 6-700 a piece will destroy! ( thats what im planning with my 3000d about 700x4 subs :)

Ok. That's good to hear. And i already have the sub sold, just waiting a couple of weeks for the guy to get the money and it will be gone. Wish i could already have the SA's, but looks like late December until i get to hear the new setup..

we have a single cab 92 chevy with 2 sa12s off a 1200d and have built 6 different enclosures. we constantly meter 143.9-144.0 outlaw style no matter the enclosure! i dont know why this is but we have had behind the seat enclosures and also put in 2 bucket seats and had the subs down fire with the box "winging" out behind the seats with 4" aeros to the pillars. 2 4" aeros firing to the pillars sounds the best i think. This truck also has insane flex, the rear window and metal of cab move approx 1.5-2" (enough to shatter 1 rear window so far), the doors approx 1" the windshield approx 1-1.5" and after a rock chip came to be it took a matter of seconds to spider the entire windshield, and the dash bouces so much it is hard to change volume in testing at high levels as the deck moves and will not play cds past 1/2 volume. we also have over $1500 in mids and highs inside of this and it is straight up insane. it will be upgraded this winter to 4 sa12 off 2500d behind the seat! I will try and post a pic of a couple of the boxes we have made and also a video of flex if i can find it. also 2.4 gross with 2 12s and 2 4" aeros to drivers side with subs on passenger side tuned to 34hz sounds amazing, our "wing" box had the best lows tuned at 33hz and most flex and the 1200d was turned all the way down as the box was approx 3.8 cubes and the subs peaked with less power. i have pics of the boxes uploaded to phot o bucket but aparently i cant post them here....never posted pics on here before. just look up outtherecustoms on PB

we have a single cab 92 chevy with 2 sa12s off a 1200d and have built 6 different enclosures. we constantly meter 143.9-144.0 outlaw style no matter the enclosure! i dont know why this is but we have had behind the seat enclosures and also put in 2 bucket seats and had the subs down fire with the box "winging" out behind the seats with 4" aeros to the pillars. 2 4" aeros firing to the pillars sounds the best i think. This truck also has insane flex, the rear window and metal of cab move approx 1.5-2" (enough to shatter 1 rear window so far), the doors approx 1" the windshield approx 1-1.5" and after a rock chip came to be it took a matter of seconds to spider the entire windshield, and the dash bouces so much it is hard to change volume in testing at high levels as the deck moves and will not play cds past 1/2 volume. we also have over $1500 in mids and highs inside of this and it is straight up insane. it will be upgraded this winter to 4 sa12 off 2500d behind the seat! I will try and post a pic of a couple of the boxes we have made and also a video of flex if i can find it. also 2.4 gross with 2 12s and 2 4" aeros to drivers side with subs on passenger side tuned to 34hz sounds amazing, our "wing" box had the best lows tuned at 33hz and most flex and the 1200d was turned all the way down as the box was approx 3.8 cubes and the subs peaked with less power. i have pics of the boxes uploaded to phot o bucket but aparently i cant post them here....never posted pics on here before. just look up outtherecustoms on PB

Whatl is PB? Peanut Butter? :roflmao:

Pic or it didn't happen!

That sounds awesome. I've always had just a single 12" sub off about 1000 watts, and started out doing 137.8 on the dash, to my highest of a 141.6 on the dash and a 145 in the kick panel (center console box). The box i'm making now is 2.4 cubes tuned to 33 hz with 2 4" PVC ports (rounded on the ends), so i'm hoping for my highest numbers yet. With the power being spread over 2 voice coils instead of just 1 should be more efficient, and hopefully gain me something.

Truck is a 99 Dodge 1500 single cab. Subs will be facing forward behind the drivers seat, ports will be facing the passenger side of the truck. Here's a picture before i put the baffle on the box.

DSC01802.jpg

Nice. I'm hoping to get the SA's in about 2 or 3 months (hopefully sooner!). i can't wait to see what they do. I'll be running them off about 600-700 a piece. Hoping to break a 142 with them (meter on the dash and passenger door open is the format i compete in). With the port firing passenger side, will it be louder on the dash or outlaw in the kick? With an older box i built and port firing drivers side, it was about 4 dB louder in the kick than on the dash.

So, your port is going to be firing to the passenger side with the passenger door open? It seems like firing the port to the driver's side would be better? :ughdunno:

Is there a piece of wood in front of the port opening?

I've always seen Outlaw style metering done in the passenger side kick panel..... But, i mainly meter on the dash, so i'm not too worried about what it will do Outlaw.

And yes, that is a piece of wood 4" away from the port opening (same size as ports), to create some kind of backpressure. I've done boxes before with ports that close to the sub, and you couldn't push the sub much at all before it started to go into overexcursion.

i dont know about glass readings but for sound the ports to drivers and subs on passenger sounds way better in both passenger and drivers side seats from our experience plus over 2 db gain in outlaw

The way i have my box set up now (sub on passenger side, port on drivers side with my 1 12" sub), it builds a ton of pressure on the drivers side, and doesn't sound so great on the passenger side. Could just be difference in vehicles. If this box doesn't sound good i'll just make another one that's a complete opposite of this box.

Thanks. I'm hoping this box lives up to my expectations, but if it doesn't i'll just sell it and build another one.

ill try and take a video this next week of the single cab we have. it has a behind the seat box currently in it with full bench seat. if we get some free time maybe we will switch out to the "wing" box and buckets just to take a video of how much flex that box creates! its a nasty truck to say the least!

What do you mean by "wing" box? Like a slanted box behind the seats? And i'd like to see pictures/videos of that setup. Here's a little video of my current setup (1 12 behind the seats). It murders the lows.

And watch in 720HD

nice. and the "wing" box drank too much red bull and grew wings lol. we put bucket seats in the truck, subs down fire in between seats the box goes behind the seats and "wings" out behind both bucket seats where it has a 4" aero going into each b-pillar. on my photo bucket i have pics look up out there customs on photo bucket. i dont no what i all have pics of on there since i hardly use it. but i know this truck is on there