SpeakerBoy

Cotton vs. Polyfill

Whatcha think?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Will cotton work?

Simply, would cotton work at all in the same way as polyfill? I know one is meant for it and one is sure as hell not, but I have pounds of cotton and a wretched internet connection so roaming the internet isnt an option for the rest of the week.

All I need is a yes or no, and a brief why.

I was staring at a pile of cotton from dog-shredded pillows, and got to wondering.

Any effect at all?

No, cotton dust is explosive. I wouldn't put it in a pressurized enclosure where a sub's coil could ark against it's motor and cause a flash fire.

All dust is explosive but i have never heard of cotton dust before.

Answering the question of cotton working as polyfill, i would think so to a point but it doesn't have as much air space as polyfill so using more than just lining the outsides of the enclosure might be a waste.

All dust is explosive but i have never heard of cotton dust before.

Answering the question of cotton working as polyfill, i would think so to a point but it doesn't have as much air space as polyfill so using more than just lining the outsides of the enclosure might be a waste.

Goolge it. I inspected a flash fire at a cotton facility this past spring. Bulk commodities are a thing I know a little about.

I used to use cotton batting to line all my sub boxes with years ago with no adverse affects, well a factory is different than placing some cotton in a box.

I know this is a week old, but he stated the cotton was from pillows which would mean it has been treated with a flame retardant, so I wouldn't worry too much about sparking a fire even if the freak occurrence of arcing would happen.

Cotton would definitely work. My main concern would be making sure that the loose, shredded cotton fibers don't get sucked into the motor of the woofer..

i didnt think cotton was really used in pillows.. i thought it was poly-fill for the most part.

Cotton would definitely work. My main concern would be making sure that the loose, shredded cotton fibers don't get sucked into the motor of the woofer..

How do you know that? And wouldn't that be a concern with poly-fill as well?

i didnt think cotton was really used in pillows.. i thought it was poly-fill for the most part.

What he said. Poly-fill IS known as "Pillow Stuffing?"

How do you know that? And wouldn't that be a concern with poly-fill as well?

What he said. Poly-fill IS known as "Pillow Stuffing?"

Cotton pillows are very popular and expensive. As a speaker fill the poly-fill is way less expensive.