Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

Custom NS v.2 10s

Building these for a customer... I wasn't happy with the limits I was facing with the 10" 12-spoke frame so I grabbed some different frames to use for this project !

One picture for now until I get some stuff back from the machine shop... but what is to come :

Z v.3 Spider w/ Double Leads and Triple Joint Ring

Z v.3 Vented Spacer Ring (from 18" Z v.3)

Basket coil cut-out OD expansion at local machine shop

Custom made spider riser made at local machine shop

Wide-Roll Surround 10" Cone

Full Length NS v.2 Coil

NS-10v2%28IAFrame%29.jpg

The customer is planning to use quite a bit of power on these so I wanted to do something a bit special... anyone that knows me knows that I hate making 10s with 3" coils on the 12-spoke and 4-spoke frames!

those would be for me :)

i cant wait to get them playing either !!!

thanks for all the help and everything ...with more to come :)

those frames appear to have a bit more clearance from the surround landing to the spider landing?

very nice. :popcorn:

those frames appear to have a bit more clearance from the surround landing to the spider landing?

ALOT more -- which is why I wanted to use them... to get more lateral coil stability.

With the heavy coil and very light moving assembly the mass balance is way off on the 10s so I have to make up for it with a bigger spider to surround distance.

The Nightshade motor looks good with that basket too. These are going to be some nasty 10s for sure. :drink40:

ah I got you. I have never run into coil rock on the ten inch, but the heaviest coil I ever used on a ten inch is a 4 layer round wound with a 60mm winding width.

but when using the ten inch 12 spoke I find it hard to find a shallow enough cone that will allow use of an eight inch spider.

I'm sure that is not an issue for actual sub manufactures as yourself.

ALOT more -- which is why I wanted to use them... to get more lateral coil stability.

With the heavy coil and very light moving assembly the mass balance is way off on the 10s so I have to make up for it with a bigger spider to surround distance.

Your coil is pretty light compared to what I'm planning -- an 8-layer flat 71mm WW coil with double wall aluminum former.

That is the big difference :)

ah I got you. I have never run into coil rock on the ten inch, but the heaviest coil I ever used on a ten inch is a 4 layer round wound with a 60mm winding width.

but when using the ten inch 12 spoke I find it hard to find a shallow enough cone that will allow use of an eight inch spider.

BEAST MODE !!!!!! lol

only tens I built were tc9+ based.

Your coil is pretty light compared to what I'm planning -- an 8-layer flat 71mm WW coil with double wall aluminum former.

That is the big difference :)

With the TC-9 you'll have most of the mass coming up closer to the spider as well -- compared to a 40mm top plate with less over-hang.

I got a first look @ the spider spacer... shop had to make some adjustments but should be able to get cracking on these again tomorrow or Wednesday.

Spider spacer is in :

CIMG5672.JPG

CIMG5673.JPG

CIMG5674.JPG

* The top ledge was designed to hold a bead of epoxy around the spider to keep it secured under high power.

these are straight beast mode

CIMG5675.JPG

* NS v.2 Coil + Triple Joint Ring

CIMG5676.JPG

* Extra large terminals in place

CIMG5677.JPG

* Epoxy on top

CIMG5678.JPG

CIMG5684.JPG

CIMG5685.JPG

We'll test it out tomorrow to see if all goes well. I am expecting so but still have a few more ideas if it's still not quite up to what I want from it :)

let me know how it goes ...

but the project of "monster" or "big boy" is still?

or points to only NS v.3?

I am awaiting our new frames to produce the Monster... not sure on the time frame yet. It is too heavy for a standard frame.

is that coil a normal stock item for you?

and do you sell loose soft parts?

i may need too contact you later on if you do.

I am awaiting our new frames to produce the Monster... not sure on the time frame yet. It is too heavy for a standard frame.

I love this thing :)

You can have a subwoofer capable of digesting an entire saz-3500d? :)

Sign in to follow this