JohnHinerman

WTH? ID XS-65 blown / broken 1st day??

Well this pretty much sucks. I have a brand new set of ID Xs-65 Components in my truck, along with a pair of ID CTS-69 in the rear. They are powered off a 4x150 PDX amplifier. I don't have my subs in, I have the crossover set at 60hz HP all the way around. I was driving the other day, listening to the radio at a normal level (Can't crank it without woofers and getting it set up) and one of the 6.5's stopped working. Mind you, I have the gain to just above muted on the amplifier, and again, I'm not rocking out with no adjustments or subwoofers to tune it in. First I thought that maybe my crossover wiring came undone since the tweeter was still playing. Nope. Hooked touched another speaker to the ouputs and it played. So I measure resistance across the wires to the mid bass driver at the crossover. Open. I figure there is no way I blew that speaker, and maybe the soldering of the speaker wire to the speaker inside the door went bad. (I really was more so hoping that thinking since I actually do know how to solder, and have a weller bench mounted soldering iron with temp control and everything) and so I take the door apart, of course the wiring is fine. Cone moves freely, no burnt coil smell. Can't see any damage to the coil through the vent holes or on the coil when removing the front pole piece. Just open circuit in the coil. What gives? These speakers are rated for 125w rms, and I have seen plenty of people pushing them with more. Even up to 200w. So I'm listening to the radio at a normal level,without any clipping or distortion, crossed over at 60hz and this speaker dies out on me? I'm hoping that I just happened to end up with a sub-quality speaker and this is not the nature of these things. There is no reason why it should have been blown or anything like that. So I'm thinking I just spent $400 on a set of speakers that I am not going to be able to even play loud without them blowing? I know that in reality 60hz MAY be below the normal point in which you would want to cross these over when using higher power and subwoofers, but come on, that is ridiculous. Do these things suck? I have Alpine Type R's in my eclipse with a 4x100 pdx that I play the shit out of very loud for at least three years now without ever having a problem.....

I purchased them from Sonicelectronix which at least is an authorized retailer so warranty replacement *shouldn't* be an issue. But to make things worse, I sent them back my dead driver, and then looked online and they don't have any more XS-65 systems in stock. Look at seperates, and they do have the X65 mid bass drivers listed and shipping in 7-10 days which leads me to believe my new speaker is going to have to either be drop shipped from ID to me, or shipped from ID to Sonic, and then to me which who knows how long now I'm not going to have a speaker....my frickin luck.....

Hard to say, might have just been a bad driver. If the coil isn't burnt the tinsel leads may have disconnected somewhere, sounds like you no longer have the driver so no way for us to really know what happened. If you soldered the speaker wire onto the speaker's terminals it's possible you heated something up too much which lead to the problem, such as a solder joint within the speaker failing.

Have never heard of ID products having continuous issues, hoping that this was just an isolated incident. Can't say much if they got bought out though, like Diamond Audio did... Haven't been relevant with current products, so I do apologize.

Yeah, I sent it back. I know how to solder. I soldered circuit boards and wiring for almost three years at a job I once had. I doubt I heated something up internally to mess it up, but who knows now. It was playing for for a little bit, then just stopped..sooo.. I'm hoping I just had a crappy speaker and a new one will fix all of my problems.. well, at least one of my problems lol

Yeah, I sent it back. I know how to solder. I soldered circuit boards and wiring for almost three years at a job I once had. I doubt I heated something up internally to mess it up, but who knows now. It was playing for for a little bit, then just stopped..sooo.. I'm hoping I just had a crappy speaker and a new one will fix all of my problems.. well, at least one of my problems lol

Just send it back and wait to see what they say. :peepwall: