Sign in to follow this  
JimJ

Little discussion on reducing vibration

Basically, I'm trying to think of the most cost-effective way to build a shelf that's rock-solid steady for my turntable. I've been floating a lot of ideas around in my head, from "floating" a piece of MDF in a little sandbox-type thing, to several layers of MDF on soft rubber pads, to wacky ones like a suspended magnetic table (most likely not even possible).

So...I'm trying to brainstorm, need ideas for a table that's immune to vibration and help to deaden the internal vibration from the unit itself.

suspend the table with rubberbands, and have feet of the table sitting in a viscous liquid so it cna move, but with lots of friction...like ketchup...you have your shock/spring setup

Lots of mass and lots of dampners in layers. Something like poured concrete in sandwiched layers with that memory foam.

suspend the table with rubberbands, and have feet of the table sitting in a viscous liquid so it cna move, but with lots of friction...like ketchup...you have your shock/spring setup

That is not unlike how we do modal testing, only we just use some bungies to support and object and "excite" it from below with a shaker doing frequency sweeps.

Mass is thy friend......

Basically what I'm thinking. Get two bags of construction grade sand, build a pedestal for it, and mass load that sumbeeetch. Sand would make it so I can empty it and move the pedestal when it comes time to move out of here.

Oh and I hear those cera-pods work well, $130 or so for 4.... might be worth ploppin under yer 'table or if you so choose, make a concrete/granite base for the 'table and then put the pods under that.

Lots of Mass, Spike it to the floor and suspend the surface that the turn table actually sits on with capilary tubing.