Sign in to follow this  
Loud n Clean

Time to upgrade my tweeters

I have a set of PPI 356CS components up front and they sound wonderful, but after tuning my amp with my DD-1 I found that the tweets just aren't capable of handling the power i'm giving them. I'm running them off a CDT Audio SQ4100 at 4 x 100....the comps are rated at 120rms per side so i'm not able to turn them up as loud as I should be able before the tweets just start screaming and sounding nasty so I want to upgrade the tweets with something that'll fit into the existing hole in my door panel (am willing to do a little mods to get it to fit if needed). So I'd like a tweet that can handle at least 90rms and isn't very deep, I only have about 1.5" clearance back there. Any suggestions on what tweets to get?

I'm considering these so far

Precision Power PPI PT.2

pt2.jpg

Digital Designs DD-AT28

DDAT2.8_big.png

Are you presently running active? If not, how you do plan on changing tweeters?

Do the passives have a level setting adjustment for the tweeter?

No, passive. I was simply gonna remove the current one's, install the new ones and run them on the existing xover since it's not an issue of the frequencies they play, rather the harshness of them at full tilt.

I feel like a total noob though, totally forgot about the level adjustment on the xover for them, it's got -3, 0, 3...it was on 0, just flipped it to -3 but won't be able to test it until tomorrow. Haha, thanks man.

No, passive. I was simply gonna remove the current one's, install the new ones and run them on the existing xover since it's not an issue of the frequencies they play, rather the harshness of them at full tilt.

I feel like a total noob though, totally forgot about the level adjustment on the xover for them, it's got -3, 0, 3...it was on 0, just flipped it to -3 but won't be able to test it until tomorrow. Haha, thanks man.

Swapping the tweeters out and using the existing crossover network will likely yield bad results.

If a tweeter is seeing a full 100 watts, I can just imagine how fast my ears would start bleeding.

Swapping the tweeters out and using the existing crossover network will likely yield bad results.

I wasnt too sure how that would work out but figured I'd give it a shot. But after I got the reminder about the tweeter level adjustment on my xover it seems to have solved my problem. Thanks guys.

I wasnt too sure how that would work out but figured I'd give it a shot. But after I got the reminder about the tweeter level adjustment on my xover it seems to have solved my problem. Thanks guys.

Simple fix for the win!

Flipping a switch is always much better than opening the wallet. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. :drink40:

Flipping a switch is always much better than opening the wallet. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. :drink40:

This. Do as much as you possibly can for free before you go out and spend money. You'd be amazed at how different you can make your system sound.