Robertjr79

Need help building a new box

I have a small problem with my box, its too big now and need something smaller. We just had a baby boy last week and now I need the back of my van for the stroller so I need to build a new box that is smaller but still can use my two 10" subs and still be able to mount the 2 amps somewhere as I do not have room under my seats.

Right now my box is 48" wide X 14" high X 12" deep, I would like to make a box that is taller rather then wider. I have 40" high X 14" deep to play with, the stroller is 21" wide. I was thinking of using the 40" high to make the box.

I'm runing 2 X Earthquake dbx10 single 4 ohms on a Alpine MRD-M1000 @ 2 ohms so around 1000 watts rms. The box will be made with 3/4" MDF.

A couple of question for you guys

1. Would it be better vented or sealed?

2. Would it be better if the subs are facing back or can I face them to the side?

3. Should I just sell them and get a single 12"? Would that be better?

Any help would be great. Thanks

Here a picture of my set up right now.

th_IMG_00102.jpg

EDIT: forgot the picture. lol

Edited by Robertjr79

How wide can you make the box?

How wide can you make the box?

I do not want to go wider then 20-22" max for the box. But the smaller the better, I would still need to figure something out to mount the amps, don't want to just mount them on the box.

Edited by Robertjr79

you could just mount the amps on another board on the back of the box and then build something that goes over the top

P1020539.jpg

P1020536.jpg

I guess I could do something like that, only thing I would worries about is the snow melting off the stroller and making its way to the amps and subs. I was thinking of using one side for the amps and subs and the other side for the stroller. I have 24" X 16" (MAX) to play with back there.

EDIT: I have all 3 rows of seat install in the van, 3 kids so I need all the seat in the van.

Edited by Robertjr79

You could rhino line / trunk bed line the wood before carpeting it. Or you could coat the wood with fiberglass resin before carpeting it. That's how we protect the wood in the boat subwoofer boxes.

ok here what I came up with for the box, what do you guys think? Its 3.4 cu.ft before port, sub disp. I would like to keep it close to 3 cu. ft. Subs and port would be facing the rear, I used the box calculator on http://www.the12volt.com

18" wide X 30" high X 14" deep = 3.40169 cu.ft t

port

3" high X 16.5" wide X 32.49" long tuned @ 32 hertz

Never did a slot port before so the port will need a bend in it, so do I cut 16.5" X 11"" and 16.5" X 20.75" for the back wall to make the 32.5" long? I need to keep the port 3" wide on the back wall also right?

Would this be any good?

Edited by Robertjr79

What kind of van is it? It looks like a Venture. If it is I got a good idea for you on the amp rack :D by doing one like mine.

I'll check on things for the enclosure too. It shouldn't be too hard to build something for a pair of 10's that will keep room available for strollers, groceries, etc.

What kind of van is it? It looks like a Venture. If it is I got a good idea for you on the amp rack :D by doing one like mine.

I'll check on things for the enclosure too. It shouldn't be too hard to build something for a pair of 10's that will keep room available for strollers, groceries, etc.

It's a 05 Montana Extended. I have to keep all 3 row of seat also, have a 4 and 6 years old also. I have once seat out and its the captain seat pass side 2nd row. thats where the stroller is now but there not much more room for groceries with it there.

Edited by Robertjr79

It's a 05 Montana Extended. I have to keep all 3 row of seat also, have a 4 and 6 years old also. I have once seat out and its the captain seat pass side 2nd row. thats where the stroller is now but there not much more room for groceries with it there.

Awesome, a cousin to the van I have. I have a 13yo, 10yo, 8yo, and 7yo so believe me I know all about needing the seating. Using an amp rack like mine and the right type of enclosure you should be able to keep everything you have and have room for everything as well.

It's awesome finding another person with a system in a mini-van.

Awesome, a cousin to the van I have. I have a 13yo, 10yo, 8yo, and 7yo so believe me I know all about needing the seating. Using an amp rack like mine and the right type of enclosure you should be able to keep everything you have and have room for everything as well.

It's awesome finding another person with a system in a mini-van.

Not sure if a amp rack like your would fit cause I have the 50/50 3rd row seat and there tight against the side of the van. But thanks for the suggestion it was a great idea.

Edited by Robertjr79

Just wanted to show you guys my system working, let me know what you guys think of it. That wasn't full tilt, will post a better video soon at full tilt. The volume was at 26 and I normally go to 12-14. The voltage is also better when I'm driving and not idling. lol

My system

Panasonic 7" flip out

60.9cs 6-1/2" 2-way Kappa Series Component

Alpine MRD-M1000 mono block (bass)

Earthquake PowerHouse PH120.2 (mids/highs)

Earthquake DBX10 SVC 4 ohms 10" subs X 2

Custom box 1.75cu. ft each dbx10 @ 33 hertz

th_MVI_0013.jpg

Not sure what you mean by the 50/50 rear seat. Do you mean the split bench or the two captains chair's? Mine fits right up against the panel on the side of the van, it just has a trim/beauty panel that goes around it. Here's a couple of the install pics.

0807001319.jpg

0815002350b.jpg

0824000056.jpg

0824000057.jpg

Maybe there's a possibility you can put them against the side like that behind the rear seat. Keep them in the cargo area like the box. Stack one over the other as they go up the board instead of the side by side-ish style I did, or something along that line. There's places to put this stuff, just have to get a little creative.

yes sorry 50/50 split bench in the rear. I'm sure I'll find a way to install them in the rear also.

According to the manual for those subs, Earthquake recommends .8 to 1.25cuft per sub. 2.1cuft NET will be a great size for your subs IMHO. So how about an enclosure that only fills half the width of the space in the rear, which should leave room for the stroller beside it (unless it's a REALLY big one)?

How's 21" wide x 17" deep x 19.5" tall tuned to 33hz?

Or something similar... still working out details...

What about something along these lines?

robertjr79boxdims1.jpg

robertjr79box1.jpg

robertjr79box2.jpg

robertjr79box3.jpg

I had bought a box at 2.5 cu.ft (1.25 per sub) and I didn't like it, when I did the second box (the one I have now) they sound so much better with a bigger box then the smaller box did. Here a picture of the smaller 2.5 cu.ft each sub was getting 1.25 cu.ft I even tried inverting the sub to give them a bit more cu.ft but didn't help them.

th_IMG_0009.jpg

Yes, but that was a box you purchased. Do you know what it was tuned to? Most likely it was tuned much higher than your current box is which is why the sound wasn't as good. A larger box will be more efficient and have more emphasis on the bottom end, I'll run the numbers, but I don't think a properly tuned smaller enclosure will sound bad at all.

Yes, but that was a box you purchased. Do you know what it was tuned to? Most likely it was tuned much higher than your current box is which is why the sound wasn't as good. A larger box will be more efficient and have more emphasis on the bottom end, I'll run the numbers, but I don't think a properly tuned smaller enclosure will sound bad at all.

The guy that made the box took the design for bass head design for competition from the manual. The box was 30" wide X 12" high X 15 1/2" deep, 2" X 11" port for each 10". Just like the manual box just in one box, the box had 2 chambers one for each sub.

Edited by Robertjr79

What about something along these lines?

robertjr79boxdims1.jpg

robertjr79box1.jpg

robertjr79box2.jpg

robertjr79box3.jpg

That looks like a nice box, but I only have a max of 16" deep to work with.

The guy that made the box took the design for bass head design for competition from the manual. The box was 30" wide X 12" high X 15 1/2" deep, 2" X 11" port for each 10". Just like the manual box just in one box, the box had 2 chambers one for each sub.

That was most likely the problem. It was a box designed for competition which generally use a higher tuning to peak at the upper 30's and 40's that vehicles generally peak at.

That looks like a nice box, but I only have a max of 16" deep to work with.

Really? There's more differences between our van's than I figured there would be. My box is 42"x17"x17" and fits with room to spare. I'll redo it with a max depth of 16" and make it a little wider too, maybe more like 25" wide and go ahead and up the NET volume to 3cuft.

I just went to remeasure to be safe and you are right I have 17" to play with, my bad. Thanks a lot.

Edited by Robertjr79