Sign in to follow this  
jonbearsmt

vista not allowing me to connect to the internet

i bought a new used computer today .. its a emachine i know i know.. but i got it cheap.

so i brought it home hooked it up.. and was able to surf the net.

but it had 7 users on it and full of trash, so i clicked around untill i found away to "goback" and it took off all the user and made it almost a new PC. but. now i cant get on the internet.

i called my ISP and they told me its my eithernet card, but it was working fine an hour ago, so maybe some help on setting and what not?

and im used to XP. and vista is blowing my mind.. anyone know how to reboot vista to a fresh copy, "system restore "?

thanks guys.

Probably need to install the drivers for your network card.

Did it come with any cds? If so, check for anything pertaining to ethernet, network, or motherboard (if your using the ethernet port on the motherboard).

You could also try:

start

control panel

hardware and sound

device manager

expand "network adapters"

and copy all the info that's listed there. Look for any name or model number of the card your using, and perhaps someone can find the drivers for it.

no cds .. im checking those now.. well trying.

and yes its the motherbored Enet

i bought a new used computer today .. its a emachine i know i know.. but i got it cheap.

so i brought it home hooked it up.. and was able to surf the net.

but it had 7 users on it and full of trash, so i clicked around untill i found away to "goback" and it took off all the user and made it almost a new PC. but. now i cant get on the internet.

i called my ISP and they told me its my eithernet card, but it was working fine an hour ago, so maybe some help on setting and what not?

and im used to XP. and vista is blowing my mind.. anyone know how to reboot vista to a fresh copy, "system restore "?

thanks guys.

don't worry my man, easy fix

you just need the drivers to your nic card

Start > Right Click "Omputer" > select "Manage" and then you will select "drivers", now you will notice a yellow :excl: next to Network Adapter.

What you need to do is take a thumb drive or some kind of media to transfer the correct driver from another computer to yours. For Dells, you simply go to dell.com and select your machine to download the correct driver(s). I would imagine something similar for the Emachines. You need to get the drivers from another pc since you obviously cant get them from yours lol. And that should work.

So go to Emachine website, http://support.gateway.com/us/en/emac/product/default.aspx and select your machine, and you should be able to download what you need from there. You may be able to do this if you have a smart phone, just download the drive, connect via usb charger, and access the file from your computer. Hope this helps.

no cds .. im checking those now.. well trying.

and yes its the motherbored Enet

In that case, what's the model number of the computer?

Sounds like Sencheezy has you covered.

Sounds like Sencheezy has you covered.

High Five Stef

Now go to sleep

t3642

any tricks to resetting the admin password on vista?

I had an hp with vista on it awhile ago. If you want to wipe the whole comp and make it as it was when in came out of the box this is what I did. Turn the computer completely off-Turn it back on the first screen that pops up hit f11 which should take you to another screen-There should be an option called System Restore or Factory Default or something along those lines-then follow that procedure.

yes but its asking for the admin password. and i dont know it./

i have some software here that i have used before to crack windows login passwords.. but it's of no help to you because it "costs money"....

What i would do is locate someone locally for a windows disc...

IF you cannot find anyone.. PM me, i will get you taken care of.

i just took the PC back and got my money, ill buy another one after xmas.

thanks for all the help guys.

For future reference, on Acer/Gateway/eMachines/Packard Bell (all owned by Acer) machines, if you press Alt+F10 when you first start the computer (in your case, when the eMachines logo comes up), it'll boot into the recovery partition and you can re-install Windows from there.