Sign in to follow this  
suicidal

Speaker selection help

I have a 1994 GMC Jimmy 4-door. I am looking to replace my factory speakers. I have 4x6 speakers in the dash (not sure of mounting depth, could not find that spec. anywhere) and according to my research 6 3/4" in the rear doors (again not sure of mounting depth). This will be the first time i go with components or run the speakers off of anything but the head unit. I will be using an old rockford 2 channel amp to power the speakers, it is 100.2 (if memory serves).

I need help choosing speakers to fit in the stock location. I would like to keep the cost ~$200, but i can go more if need be. I am open to all suggestions since i am a noob when it comes to this. So any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also, any amp suggestions will be entertained. I'm not married to the amp i have. As soon as i dig it out of the garage i will post more accurate specs for the amp.

For my subwoofers, i will be using a single RE SE 12" dual 4 ohm ported in a 2 cu ft box tuned to 32hz. I'm debating putting both of my RE's in the truck, but am not sold on using up all of my hatch space with a 4 cu ft. box. :rofl2: I also need an amp to push the subs, so any suggestions on that as well. The subs are 600 watt RMS each.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Edited by suicidal

If you have the Jimmy, pull the door panels off and verify how much depth you have to work with. That could make a difference in your speaker selection options.

Also, I would try to find out exactly what model RF amp you have. As long as it works fine & puts out enough power for your needs there may be no reason to spend the extra money on an amp.

I will look up the info for the amp and post it...and as soon as i get back from my road trip, i will tear into the rear doors of my truck and measure.

the amp i have is a rockford punch 201s

specs:

50 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms

100 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms

200 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms

stereo or bridged mono output

4-ohm stable in bridged mode

Tri-Way capable

120 Hz high-pass, 80 Hz low-pass crossovers (12 dB/octave)

selectable Punch Bass (0/6/12 dB boost at 45 Hz)

speaker- and preamp-level inputs

10-1/8"W x 2-7/16"H x 9-7/8"D

That amp would fine for powering speakers. A little lower power than I prefer, but if you're not looking to be heard down the block it would do just fine.