i was just curious on what you guys thought....im wanting to get a voltmeter and ive looked at stinger meters....but i was thinking about the autometer analog gauge...(ive got a spot on a gauge pod)...but i didnt know how acurate they are/other peoples opinion

analog is only as good as your eyes and when the bass is pumping everything vibrates. over time and movement/ fluctuation/ ratting it will be come less accurate and thus wearing out. and this could occur and damage the analog meter right away or maybe in 5 years lol! it all depends on what meter you buy and what not! also when the bass is shaking the needle in the gauge you will not know exactly what the voltage is as the bass will be moving the needle all over the place at best you will be +/- 0.5-1.0 vdc again depending on the meter you buy and how loud your system is/ will be!

with a digital one like a stinger they are extremely bright at night time and nearly blinding. I would recommend you find one with an auto dimmer on it! I know Shizzzon on this site sell very nice voltmeters! you should talk to him about them.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/user/2377-shizzzon/

here is a stinger one that I use in my car! it is small and to dim it down i put a piece of cardboard behind the front cover at night time lol!

IMG_4660.jpg

and here is the one that shizzzon sells. it is auto dimmer and works great! and don't mind the install our tow way tape is garbage lol! it will be fixed up with some steel sooner then later

IMAG0238.jpg

I use stinger. Just easy to get.

stinger.. i black out the word "stinger" and it helps ALOT with the brightness.

i have see some round pod style voltmeters that are digital too.. on ebay.

You can get an autometer digital round gauge if you wanted in the gauge pod.

Also for the stinger you can use a piece of window tint to darken it down

analog is only as good as your eyes and when the bass is pumping everything vibrates. over time and movement/ fluctuation/ ratting it will be come less accurate and thus wearing out. and this could occur and damage the analog meter right away or maybe in 5 years

Um, no. It's not like the gauge on a multimeter. They use stepper motors just like your gauges in your car. Does your speedometer, tachometer, or fuel gauge mess up from the bass or become less accurate over time? Nope. They don't sway or move or vibrate with bass and they don't wear out either. In fact, the gauge will outlive the vehicle.

analog is only as good as your eyes and when the bass is pumping everything vibrates. over time and movement/ fluctuation/ ratting it will be come less accurate and thus wearing out. and this could occur and damage the analog meter right away or maybe in 5 years

Um, no. It's not like the gauge on a multimeter. They use stepper motors just like your gauges in your car. Does your speedometer, tachometer, or fuel gauge mess up from the bass or become less accurate over time? Nope. They don't sway or move or vibrate with bass and they don't wear out either. In fact, the gauge will outlive the vehicle.

interesting I guess my car is just that special lol! when the bass is pumping all my gauge move and even my fuel gauge is a lot less accurate then it used to be, in regards to my fuel gauge I now have to go off of how many km's (miles) I have on the tank and no it isn't the fuel pump because I just replaced my original fuel pump.

then again my car has 390,000km on it (242,000 miles) and everything is original other the my stupid fuel pump, tires, and ball joints and brakes lol. my car is a 1995 grand am so 17 years old now. LOl when this car was new it was a pile lol!

Sorry, I didn't know you were in Canada and driving a GM. :drink40:

Seriously though, modern gauges are very precise and reliable. Your car may be an exception given it's abuse over the years. At least it's still going though.

Only time I've seen gauge fluctuation is in vehicles with either silly amounts of dash flex. Like over .5" up then down. And vehicles playing music at 160db.