djeazie

Dcon or Icon?

I have 500 watts @2 ohm for power. A prefab box that's 1.8 cu ft tuned at 31hz slot ported. I listen to all differnt kind of music. I would like the best sq and if it gets loud that's good too. So which 12" should I go with with those specs.

If you really have to ask, go with Icon so you have less chance of damaging the driver.

i have a SSA ICON 15 on a JL 500/1 in my chicks car, she has yet to damage it .

with what you have already and if you dont have any intention of upgrading in the future, I would go with the dcon 12 D4, set the gain on the amp properly to match the sub for some clean power and not to damage the sub..

Edited by StreetLegal

I would look into a new enclosure. Odds are that the prefab will hold you back from getting the full possible output and sound from any driver you install in it.

I have 500 watts @2 ohm for power. A prefab box that's 1.8 cu ft tuned at 31hz slot ported. I listen to all differnt kind of music. I would like the best sq and if it gets loud that's good too. So which 12" should I go with with those specs.

What amp do you have?

Massive audio nx5. I could run it at 1 ohm and then it's rated at 800 watts. But I don't want to stress my electrical that much. And as far as the box is concerned I'm staying with it because it fits perfectly where I want it.

My main concern was, is 500 watts gonna be to much for a Dcon? And would 500 watts be enough for an Icon?

If you really have to ask, go with Icon so you have less chance of damaging the driver.

And why would you say that?

Someone with more experience would not need to ask and would know how to handle the power with the Dcon. You are better off with the Icon at that power level and since you have more at your disposal, if needed, you wouldn't have to upgrade from the Dcon in the future.

Icon all the way.

Depends on what you are looking for. On paper in that enclosure the Icon on 500w would have slightly more output (2.5db peak difference around 37hz) than the Dcon on 300w (keeping the driver within rated power). Listening preferences are going to come down to the user. On a driver bases I would probably expect the Icon to sound a little "better". But in that enclosure the Icon has higher group delay so it may sound a little more "loose". Chances are good the Dcon will sound good enough for the average user. On the flip side you'll probably experience less power compression with the Icon, which has some advantages.

Really it's going to come down to preference. With the Icon you'll have 2-3db more output peak, lower power compression and SQ that may be a little better or a little worse depending on your preferences & your feelings on the response in that enclosure. With the Dcon you have more than adequate output for most average users, SQ that's probably going to be more than adequate for the average user, and it costs less than half of the Icon.

If you didn't plan on upgrading amps anytime soon, I'd probably recommend the Dcon.

Depends on what you are looking for. On paper in that enclosure the Icon on 500w would have slightly more output (2.5db peak difference around 37hz) than the Dcon on 300w (keeping the driver within rated power). Listening preferences are going to come down to the user. On a driver bases I would probably expect the Icon to sound a little "better". But in that enclosure the Icon has higher group delay so it may sound a little more "loose". Chances are good the Dcon will sound good enough for the average user. On the flip side you'll probably experience less power compression with the Icon, which has some advantages.

Really it's going to come down to preference. With the Icon you'll have 2-3db more output peak, lower power compression and SQ that may be a little better or a little worse depending on your preferences & your feelings on the response in that enclosure. With the Dcon you have more than adequate output for most average users, SQ that's probably going to be more than adequate for the average user, and it costs less than half of the Icon.

If you didn't plan on upgrading amps anytime soon, I'd probably recommend the Dcon.

Well said thank you.

Someone with more experience would not need to ask and would know how to handle the power with the Dcon. You are better off with the Icon at that power level and since you have more at your disposal, if needed, you wouldn't have to upgrade from the Dcon in the future.

I have plenty of knowledge on what I'm asking. I was just basically wondering if the Dcon rms rating was conservative at 300 rms. I know how to set and maintain my equipment. And I've been in car audio since the mid 90's so I'm confident in my knowledge. I just don't have any experience with these woofers. But thank you for you reply and assuming & telling me I have little experience.

I have plenty of knowledge on what I'm asking. I was just basically wondering if the Dcon rms rating was conservative at 300 rms. I know how to set and maintain my equipment. And I've been in car audio since the mid 90's so I'm confident in my knowledge. I just don't have any experience with these woofers. But thank you for you reply and assuming & telling me I have little experience.

Ask the manufacturer this question.

Probably would be my best bet. I will get ahold of them. Thanks everyone for your help!

After checking Massive's ratings, they rate the sub channel @400 watts at 2 ohms. Not 500.

After checking Massive's ratings, they rate the sub channel @400 watts at 2 ohms. Not 500.

Shouldn't be an audible difference.

Just trying to help, and that's how I read it.

Just trying to help, and that's how I read it.

me too.. prefab box, SQ that is loud, i read it the same way thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.gif

I have two 12" 4ohm Dcons in a ported box tuned to about 33hz, on a R/F T500-1bdcp rated at 700rms @2ohm.I love em", but not haveing heard the Icon,I would say you caint go wrong with the Dcon.

I have two 12" 4ohm Dcons in a ported box tuned to about 33hz, on a R/F T500-1bdcp rated at 700rms @2ohm.I love em", but not haveing heard the Icon,I would say you caint go wrong with the Dcon.

I think that R/F amp is rated 500w rms @ 2 ohms

I think that R/F amp is rated 500w rms @ 2 ohms

Rf likes to underrate their amps by quite a bit.