Sign in to follow this  
ThePosman

Multiple Speaker Setup (10 ea. 6x9's)

I've got a 15 passenger van and am looking to install a low budget system (anything is an upgrade to the 2 front door speakers I have currently) I have a pair of 6 x 9 speakers at each row of seats in enclosures and the 6x 9's in the front doors for a total of 10 speakers. I also have a powered bazooka sub I want to use in the rear. I have a 4 or 5 year old Pioneer Premier head unit that I plan to connect to. I would like to add a 4 channel amp to give the 6 x 9's a bit more power and have the following questions I'm hoping someone can help me with:

1. Would 1 four channel amp be enough and how many watts would it need to be? Could I get away with a 300W amp or would I need to go to a 500W or larger?

2. How do I wire the speakers to the amp?

Thank you

well your lacking on some info..

cant tell you anything about an amp with out knowing what kind of 6x9s they are, model and year included or the RMS.

you have the 6x9s in truck style wedge boxes?

Need more info.

The 6 x 9's are Rockford Fosgate Prime R1693 3-ways in Atrend angled enclosures.

•6"x9" 3-way car speakers

•mica-injected polypropylene woofer with foam surround

•1-3/4" mylar midrange driver

•1/2" mylar balanced dome tweeter

•power range: 2-60 watts RMS (120 watts peak power)

•frequency response: 48-22,000 Hz

•sensitivity: 90 dB

Edited by ThePosman

The 6 x 9's are Rockford Fosgate Prime R1693 3-ways in Atrend angled enclosures.

•6"x9" 3-way car speakers

•mica-injected polypropylene woofer with foam surround

•1-3/4" mylar midrange driver

•1/2" mylar balanced dome tweeter

•power range: 2-60 watts RMS (120 watts peak power)

•frequency response: 48-22,000 Hz

•sensitivity: 90 dB

4 ohm speakers?

Yes - they are 4 Ohm speakers

It would be best to run two 4 channel and one two channel to get to four ohms per speaker.

or run 8 on 1 4ch by wiring a pair parallel at 2 ohms on each channel, then get a 2 channel for the remaining 2, or another 4ch and bridge the other 2 channels of the second 4ch.

I would get one more set for the simplest way to wire them, which would be to wire a pair in series and then wire the 3 sets in parallel to a decently powerful 2ch amp. The amp will be seeing roughly 2.6ohms per channel with them all so you'll want something capable of powering that many speakers.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18558_Boston-Acoustics-GT-2200.html

well your lacking on some info..

cant tell you anything about an amp with out knowing what kind of 6x9s they are, model and year included or the RMS.

you have the 6x9s in truck style wedge boxes?

Your answer big John? :ughdunno:

tons of ways to do this... budget and goals would be the best way to figure this out..

budget being key for my solution...

BTW i have done this many many times.. some of the older members may remember be being part owner or a limo/party buss company..

I'm all for the budget solution. My goal here was to go from just the two door mounted speakers to having everyone in the van able to hear the stereo. I don't want to make a huge investment due to theft concerns, etc. The van is pretty utilitarian - your basic white 15 passenger with removable seats. When the seats come out I can just move the speaker pods out of the way as they positioned under the seats on the floor. I'm not looking to win any contests or rattle the cars next to me at the stop light - just a basic stereo set up with enough power to drown out all the talking from the back and any road noise and just rock out.

im about to go to dinner with the lady.. so ill respond with my solution when i return...

but i will tell you ... with larger boxes you will get a better low end and mid bass response with those 6x9's, see they are a IB kinda set up for response. so IMO with a bigger box come better sound from 6x9's.

oh btw.. if you need to can you either add a set or take a set out of the set up?

im about to go to dinner with the lady.. so ill respond with my solution when i return...

but i will tell you ... with larger boxes you will get a better low end and mid bass response with those 6x9's, see they are a IB kinda set up for response. so IMO with a bigger box come better sound from 6x9's.

oh btw.. if you need to can you either add a set or take a set out of the set up?

Cool

No problem to add or remove a set -

ok heres a example for 8 speakers....

4_4ohm_svc_4ohm.gif for your left side

4_4ohm_svc_4ohm.gif for your right side... for a even 4 ohm load on a 2 channel stereo...

or .. if you wanted to run your amp at 2 ohm for more power IF its stable

then you would want to run this in series for a 2 ohm MONO load.

so wire each side like this.. then at the amp you would run positive of left side to your amp.. negative off left speaker to the + on the RIGHT and then the negative off your left hand speakers to the negative on the amp.

4_4ohm_svc_1ohm.gif

again .. this is for 8 speakers.