edouble101

ZCON 15 enclosure build log

I spent over an hour listening to this sub today. I really like. Output its great and it sounds great. The 8" port is also sounding great for this setup.

My current enclosure was really a test box both for the sub and 8" port. Time to build a new enclosure. I have a couple new enclosure design plans in mind. When I start building I will post pics!

Awesome man! Looking forward to the new enclosure.

What are your thoughts on this sub when you had it? Was it as musical as you like? I am asking for a comparison to my setup since I haven't heard this sub in any other setup.

Oddly enough my thoughts on it are very similar to what you just posted. I had a LOT of port area at ~96 square inches tuned to 35-36. It sounded great on rap but did lack on other genres of music. If I had decided to keep it I would have went in a completely different direction with my enclosure than I originally did. I really enjoyed it but my goals are very different now than when I bought it. I think with the right enclosure it would sound amazing.

One last thing I'll say is that I did have my rear seat back down, and that thing moved some serious air in the cabin. I could do a fairly nice little hair trick on 1500 audiopipe watts. Easily the loudest single 15 I've had in my car, and I have had a lot.

Oddly enough my thoughts on it are very similar to what you just posted. I had a LOT of port area at ~96 square inches tuned to 35-36. It sounded great on rap but did lack on other genres of music. If I had decided to keep it I would have went in a completely different direction with my enclosure than I originally did. I really enjoyed it but my goals are very different now than when I bought it. I think with the right enclosure it would sound amazing.

I maybe validating Noobtastic14 post (my enclosure volume is 4.11^ft my port volume is .9^ft :ehh: ):

The range of frequencies change as the ratio of box volume to port change. A small box with big port will peak higher at tuning and roll off steeper as you move away from tuning while a big box with smaller port will operate with a wide range and small boost at tuning frequency. My box plays pretty flat with a gain at 39 and 49 which sounds pretty good on music whether rock or rap. Now, A big box with a big port works wonders as well I'm not saying that it is bad if I could have worked it I would have but we all know that a car is not the optimal place for doing what we do.

-Drew

**I hope you are not under the impression that I chose that side thinking it was best case because I didn't. That is as big as I could go staying within box dimensions and budget. It was built to be the only DC shaped port wall not to stop all other walled 18s.

One last thing I'll say is that I did have my rear seat back down, and that thing moved some serious air in the cabin. I could do a fairly nice little hair trick on 1500 audiopipe watts. Easily the loudest single 15 I've had in my car, and I have had a lot.

I don't know why I am not experiencing that :ughdunno: By folding down the back seats it didn't make a difference st all. I really think that having the port opening right in front of the subwoofer might be affecting this :ughdunno:

From your experience with this subwoofer what do you think would be an optimal enclosure? BTW I like aeros.

My box was 5 cubes net after all displacements. The port was probably 2.5 cubes, it was a HUGE port. I like the idea of sealing the trunk off, that should really help getting the sound into the cabin.

My box was 5 cubes net after all displacements. The port was probably 2.5 cubes, it was a HUGE port. I like the idea of sealing the trunk off, that should really help getting the sound into the cabin.

WOW!

From your experience with this subwoofer what do you think would be an optimal enclosure? BTW I like aeros.

If I were to do it all over I'd shoot for 4-4.5 net with 60-75 square inches of port area tuned to ~33. I notice a BIG difference between a 33hz tuning and a 36hz tuning in my car. Every setup will differ from one vehicle to another, but that is what I'd do in my car if I had 2000 RMS on tap.

If I were to do it all over I'd shoot for 4-4.5 net with 60-75 square inches of port area tuned to ~33. I notice a BIG difference between a 33hz tuning and a 36hz tuning in my car. Every setup will differ from one vehicle to another, but that is what I'd do in my car if I had 2000 RMS on tap.

Thanks for your input Rick. I will certainly take this into consideration when designing my next enclosure.

I was just thinking.....my port area now is 50.26 sq inches (less than you would have used). That is about 12.5 sq inches per cube. This fits the general assumption that 12-16 sq inches per cube is adequate.

I was just thinking.....my port area now is 50.26 sq inches (less than you would have used). That is about 12.5 sq inches per cube. This fits the general assumption that 12-16 sq inches per cube is adequate.

This is not an accurate way to calculate port area needed.

That was why I called it a general assumption.

I am trying to determine if a 8" areo is too big of a port to use with this sub and 4-4.5 cubes.

I am far from a seasoned enclosure designer. I want to get my second enclosure design correct. I like to use aeros because they are simpler to build with and weigh much less than a slot port.

I am trying to determine if a 8" areo is too big of a port to use with this sub and 4-4.5 cubes.

I am far from a seasoned enclosure designer. I want to get my second enclosure design correct. I like to use aeros because they are simpler to build with and weigh much less than a slot port.

An 8 inch aero is not too much. I hope some other people can give you some more opinions.

An 8 inch aero is not too much. I hope some other people can give you some more opinions.

Thanks for the customer support that came along with the sub :drink40: I will leave you alone now :thanx:

X2 on that.

On all my boxes I go for at least 1/3 of the SD, the closer I can get to 1/2, the better and I have never had problems with peakiness. That seems to be mostly tuning related

I am really pissed to have to report that the DC Audio 2.0K isn't working :ughdunno: I spent over 8 hours troubleshooting.

Calling DC Audio on Monday.

Wired my XD600/1 in for now.

0205121208.jpg

Light comes on, but no output? That's a bummer to hear.

Sorry to hear man.

Light comes on, but no output? That's a bummer to hear.

It plays at low volume 90% of the time. Once it get to 25/35 on HU volume it plays for 5 sec then poof...nothing. Not even the protect light comes on.

Put the XD600/1 back in and all is good.

Calling DC Audio tomorrow.

Sorry to hear man.

I have never heard of anybody having issues with DC Audio amps. Must be bad luck on my part.

Damn, I didn't even see this one. Curious to see where you go with the new box.

Suck about your amp Bro.

sucks to hear about the DC amp... keep us updated!

Boo! Hope you get it figured out.

Suck about your amp Bro.

99% sure I am doing a forward firing setup. Sub behind the rear seat with 8" port firing through the rear deck. I am going to take my time fabricating this one. I am going to be fiberglassing a rear deck panel. I havent taken any measurements yet. Everything should work out ok.

DC Audio repair center sent me an RA number to ship it out to them to have it repaired. I never imagined to have any issues with it. Really a fluke thing. I haven't heard anybody ever having issues with these amps. I searched and searched for a fault in my setup or other equipment and I was not able to come up with any other reason. The amp was working great since installing it then three days later POOF no bass. My XD600/1 has been working great since reinstalling it.

Me too bro.

After long term listening this driver isnt performing well. Maybe in a larger enclosure it would be better.

Edited by edouble101

Suck about your amp Bro.

99% sure I am doing a forward firing setup. Sub behind the rear seat with 8" port firing through the rear deck. I am going to take my time fabricating this one. I am going to be fiberglassing a rear deck panel. I havent taken any measurements yet. Everything should work out ok.

DC Audio repair center sent me an RA number to ship it out to them to have it repaired. I never imagined to have any issues with it. Really a fluke thing. I haven't heard anybody ever having issues with these amps. I searched and searched for a fault in my setup or other equipment and I was not able to come up with any other reason. The amp was working great since installing it then three days later POOF no bass. My XD600/1 has been working great since reinstalling it.

Me too bro.

I am definitely enjoying this subwoofer more and more. It sounds great being powering with less than 600w. Not crazy loud but loud, sounds surprisingly good too. For comparison I would say it is a tad louder than the 13w6 on same power. The impact with the ZCON is amazing. It hits you square in the chest. I am not noticing any "muddiness" or sensing that the driver is slow at reproducing music. The opposite, it sounds tight and articulate. I have not owned any other SPL type subwoofer but I am guessing that this one sounds better than the rest!

I am very excited to install this driver in a new enclosure and power this back up with my 2.0K

That's great man! I'm glad you like the ZCON (I really miss it :( ) I hope you get that amp fixed soon.

Ive heard of a few DC amps going bad so your not the only one, hope it all gets worked out soon.