Sign in to follow this  
Moofs

Noob questions I can't seem to get a straight answer for.

How come? Just wondering.

I feel weird for actually wanting my amp to only do rated but for it to do 200rms over seems weird for that kind of power.

Many reasons. Distortion isn't measured. On a reactive load (i.e. a subwoofer) power is not a simple volts x amps measurement. You don't know the accuracy of the equipment.

How come? Just wondering.

I feel weird for actually wanting my amp to only do rated but for it to do 200rms over seems weird for that kind of power.

I am by no means an expert, but I will try to explain things as I understand.

So you buy your amp and wire it down to 2ohm, it's rated for 1000watts at 2ohm. So your speaker is being powered by 1000watts right? Wrong.

Aside from having sufficient electrical upgrades, IE: enough to supply the amplifier's current draw, and no voltage drop. The frequency being played, time length, and enclosure alignment will directly effect the impedance at any given point.

As impedance rises, power output decreases, and vice versa. General statement.

Here's a picture of a driver "wired down to 1ohm" in a ported enclosure:

imp_ported_wired1ohm.jpg

You can see that the impedance varies greatly across the frequency range 10hz to 80hz, and is never near 1ohm.

You could play a single frequency and for the most part the impedance will stay around one value, and know: "At 4ohms, the speaker is receiving about 500watts or something." Whether it's relatively distortion free, or completely fubared. :ughdunno:

Next, Music is dynamic, comprised of various frequencies and different amplitudes. This will cause the impedance to "jump around". As the impedance is ever changing, so is the power output.

So now that you sort of know what is happening, and that the impedance is never constant, you can understand that your speaker is never constantly receiving xxx amount of power, unless your playing test tones.

It also requires a fair amount more power in order to hear any difference, about twice the amount of power.

So having amplifier A rated for 1000watts, and a clamp test showing it can make an additional 200watts, doesn't mean a whole lot in the end (to your ears)

On top of the fact that an amplifier can be pushed near it's limits, produce more power, and induce distortion that would be audible, but the clamp test doesn't show anything relating to the distortion level.

This post more then anything is to show that getting caught up with numbers isn't always a good idea.

Edited by stefanhinote

Thanks guys! this helped a lot. I learn something new every time I come on here.

btw: Impious, I saw you asked about the specs in the Skar Amp thread. Did you get an answer? Since I dont see ur post there n e more.

Edited by Moofs

Thanks guys! this helped a lot. I learn something new every time I come on here.

btw: Impious, I saw you asked about the specs in the Skar Amp thread. Did you get an answer? Since I dont see ur post there n e more.

It's easier to delete posts than learn to understand the equipment and be able to answer questions regarding your own products it seems. :ughdunno: He has a habit of just deleting posts anytime he doesn't want to address the questions/comments.

It's easier to delete posts than learn to understand the equipment and be able to answer questions regarding your own products it seems. :ughdunno: He has a habit of just deleting posts anytime he doesn't want to address the questions/comments.

^This post is about Kevin, the owner of Skar, not Impious.

Looks like it's still there to me? Maybe he deleted it, then undeleted it? I don't know.

He's not responded to it yet though.

Looks like it's still there to me? Maybe he deleted it, then undeleted it? I don't know.

He's not responded to it yet though.

He deleted it, and another mod brought it back. :)

He has deleted a couple of my posts, I'm sure he has deleted many others. It's either praise Skar or get silenced in his section. :shrug:

He deleted it, and another mod brought it back. :)

I see that now :)

He has deleted a couple of my posts, I'm sure he has deleted many others. It's either praise Skar or get silenced in his section. :shrug:

Which is the antithesis of the principles this forum was founded and is based upon.

well with that info I doubt we will see an answer. I asked the same question on another forum twice and emailed him the question too. he says he emails back in two hours but that was 3 days ago. A simple "I'm not sure of the numbers" would have been a good enough answer. Hope at least the amp is awesome.

well with that info I doubt we will see an answer. I asked the same question on another forum twice and emailed him the question too. he says he emails back in two hours but that was 3 days ago. A simple "I'm not sure of the numbers" would have been a good enough answer. Hope at least the amp is awesome.

Perhaps you should take what information you've learned of his practices, his past dealings, and reevaluate your thoughts on the matter--or not.

Perhaps you should take what information you've learned of his practices, his past dealings, and reevaluate your thoughts on the matter--or not.

I mean I've heard people bash Skar in the past, but I thought that was b4 it got such a following with everyone liking the VVX and all. It thought that was water under the bridge, guess not. This amp better be something great lol.