ShagggDiesel

Box style recommendation

I'm adding a budget sub stage to my girlfriends 99 Chevy Blazer. It will be 2 powerbass PS-12's on a 600 watt el cheapo amp. Her main choices of music are mainly alternative rock (Matchbox Twenty, Weezer, Audioslave, etc), and country. My question is, what would be the optimal enclosure for this listening style? Would sealed be best for this setup, or a slightly high tuned ported one? (If so, what frequency?) The goals of this system is not necessarily major output, but mainly just adding a good sounding blended sub stage. She doesn't need it to be super loud, but she does want some decent output to be there when she wants it. I will be installing a bass knob for her so she can control the amount of output. What are some suggestions on what route to take as far as this enclosure? Thanks in advance. :drink40:

Is space an issue? Perhaps a ported enclosure, 40hz tuning?

Looking at around 35 width, 15 height, and 18 deep for max demensions. I was thinking around 36-38hz. You think 40 would be more optimal for her style of music? She has the occasional rap song.. But nothing that digs deep.

For those who posted a suggestion: Could you please state why?

Since no one who suggested is really posting why, I will try to help.

Back in the day if you wanted tight, punchy, accurate bass, usually associated to rock, and country music, the obvious choice was sealed. This was also true if you wanted a SQ oriented system as well, because musical accuracy is more important than overall volume.

If you listened to Hip Hop, and Pop music, or wanted a more SPL oriented sound, then people would choose a Ported enclosure.

What has happened though in the last 10 years, is that makers of subwoofers realized they can customize a subwoofer to make it sound accurate in the enclosure it was designed for. So speakers like the Alpine Type R series sound pretty crappy in a sealed box compared to a ported enclosure built to specs. Unfortunately makers of subwoofers who design their subs for a specific type of enclosure, still list enclosure specs that don't really fit the subwoofer. Alpine still lists that their Type R 12" is good for a sealed enclosure at .75 cubes, even though they know it sounds like crap compared to the same speaker and same power in a properly tuned ported enclosure. Even the accuracy of the ported enclosure is better than the sealed enclosure for the Type R 12".

So what do we do...Research. If you haven't already bought the subs, do some research and find out what other people are putting in thier rides, and compare this to the types of music that yours will be playing. Figure out how much space you are willing to dedicate towards subs. And finally figure out what your budget is for the system. After that, you should be able to narrow things down, and pick an enclosure type to start working with. If you have already purchased subs, do some research and find out what situations people are happy with them, and design around that.

Good luck.

I would put them in like a 2 cube ported because you said yourself you're using a cheap amp, so I take that as you're under powering them. A larger ported box will help you get more out of the power you give them. Or just make up a small sealed box giving them about .75 cubic feet or less per sub, and never have to worry about it. Its for your gfs car, so just give her the bump in the rump that she wants for her music and

Have you bought the subs already?

Have you bought the subs already?

Yes. It says a minimum of 2.5ft^3 per sub ported.. Seems a bit large to me for such a small low powered driver. I'll be doing a 4.5ft^3 after sub and port displacement for these.

That size actually sounds about right to me. So many people get used to the small ported sizes they see recommended by so many manufacturers. I can remember 12" subs from back in the day that required 3 to 3.5cuft enclosures to sound right too, as Jokers10 touched on, many times these days manufacturers recommend things that they know are just wrong so that customers won't count that product out. It looks to me like Powerbass has that size requirement about right.

That also goes along with the low power. The bigger the enclosure (ported) easier it is for the driver to move air because there is more available and has less loading area.

Anybody have any experience with these blazers? Should I go with subs up/port back or subs and port back? I have the box built already, just haven't cut the holes yet. So it could be done either way. Waiting to do that til the subs come in because I can't find any cutout diameter info anywhere online for these subs.

I drive a Bravada ( same thing but the luxury version) I've ran subs port up, subs port back, and now im going to try sub up port back. Its what Ive liked best hearing other stereos close to mine.