no_username

will shorting your amp power cable

So i read that in can causes fires as to why you must use a fuse but will it do anything else? Such as fry other electrical componets in your car?

The fuse is there to protect you and your vehicle!

What would happen if there was a gash in the cord hypothetically speaking

As long as it didn't short against metal you would be ok for the short term.

Depends. Obviously it's a hazard even if the exposed "gash" isnt touching anything. But, if that gash is exposed to bare metal, there are multiple things that could happen.. Some severe, some just irritating. As you know, there's always a chance of fire. Or, it could just add resistance between the battery and the connection at the amp. I've had this happen before.. The battery up front would read 14.4v, but only 10.2 at the amp. I was so confused.. then come to find out, part of my fuse was exposed and grounding to a piece of the chassis under the hood causing resistance.

Back when I first started, we used to touch the wire to the frame to make sure it was "working" lolololololol

Luckily nothing ever caught fire. We melted a bolt one time though haha :rofl2:

I take that back about the fuse.. It wasn't touching the chassis, rather just had a corroded connection.

I take that back about the fuse.. It wasn't touching the chassis, rather just had a corroded connection.

I was going to say...

I was going to say...

I was getting that time confused with the time that the fuse holder came unmounted and fell down and melted itself to the chassis. That was fun.

I was going to say...

I was getting that time confused with the time that the fuse holder came unmounted and fell down and melted itself to the chassis. That was fun.

Yeah that sounds right.

One of my biggest fail moments was back in 98. I kept hooking up my Punch amp backwards, because my other RF amp right beside it, had the polarities oriented the other way. I blew three fuses before the Punch let out the magic smoke, and then I realized what I had done.

One of my biggest fail moments was back in 98. I kept hooking up my Punch amp backwards, because my other RF amp right beside it, had the polarities oriented the other way. I blew three fuses before the Punch let out the magic smoke, and then I realized what I had done.

Ouch! :peepwall: