Sign in to follow this  
no_username

having some trouble

EDIT for the thing that is to small is called ring terminal :) i need a bigger one

So i finally got the mofo through the firewall, damn was that a pain in the ol geezer

Now my fuse cable the end with the metal attachment for a bolt wont fit because the hole is to small. Can i buy a bigger size?

Also what is this red rubber thing and can i remove it? Maybe i can get it to work then, doubt it but im not expert

4g3lup.jpg

Edited by nousername

You need to get a battery terminal adapter. It will connect the factory battery terminal without a problem, but has a bolt on the back for accessories such as the power wire for amps. Like these:

SPT55308.png

There's several different styles of these sold out there. Most auto parts stores carry them too.

^^^^ Like that one too, just not the long version like that.

The long versions are for GM vehicles that stack two terminals on top of each other and yours isn't like that.

to be honest all i think i need is a 3/8" ring terminal to replace the ring terminal that came with my power cable

You could do that, but it's not the best way IMHO. Those adapters aren't expensive and will give a much more secure connection by comparison.

As I stated up there, you should be able to get them at almost any auto parts store.

you can also drill the hole bigger to fit, if there is enough meat on the ring terminal that came with your power cable...

Ok help me out here. Im not sure what i am supposed to do

the ring terminal hole is to small for my battery bolt to fit through

also i dont know how to take the bolt out of the red rubber thing protecting the wires. (do i need that piece)

Ima hit the shower and head out to a auto store. Fast reply would be much loved :attempt:

you can also drill the hole bigger to fit, if there is enough meat on the ring terminal that came with your power cable...

Ah great idea!

to be honest all i think i need is a 3/8" ring terminal to replace the ring terminal that came with my power cable

You do not want to stick a ring terminal between to factory connector and the battery. It allows moisture in between the connections and the corrodes, next thing you know your car wont start and you'll be wondering why and more then likely spend more money then needed to fix it.

The red rubber part isn't necessary. The bolt will pop out with some manipulation. Cutting a small slit on either side of the rubber will make the bolt easier to remove, but it's often easier to just remove the whole thing.

You could drill it or use a larger terminal, but I don't think it's the best way to do it.

Bromo gave a great reason why it's not the best way to do it.

You could do that, but it's not the best way IMHO. Those adapters aren't expensive and will give a much more secure connection by comparison.

As I stated up there, you should be able to get them at almost any auto parts store.

Ideally, the above is what you should do

So whats the best way? THanks

Getting the GM Short side post adapter and putting it on like this.

TL029.jpg

You don't HAVE to, but it can make it much easier. I usually just cut a small slit in the sides to make it easier to remove the factory bolt and insert the adapter.

I wouldn't remove it, I just gripped the bolt with a pair of pliers and pulled it out.

You need to get a battery terminal adapter. It will connect the factory battery terminal without a problem, but has a bolt on the back for accessories such as the power wire for amps. Like these:

SPT55308.png

There's several different styles of these sold out there. Most auto parts stores carry them too.

I don't mean to thread jack but is this only for batterys with side posts? I have regular battery posts but something like this seems the easiest way for me to stack 4 ring terminals.

Bought the gold plated adapter. F in 7$ x.x. its dark now :( finish it tomorrow

Off to see star wars in 3d