ALASKAN_BASS907

Jbl 660gti, morel hybrid ovation II, or any others for sq set up

I am looking to replace my 6.5" components that are in my front door. I currently have Boston acoustic pro60se and have blown my mid bass woofers due to way to much power (who would have guessed haha). I have the new T1000-4 amplifier and the birth sheet says 394 rms x 4 at all impedance. I'm looking for a set of components that can handle all of the power and sound really good doing it. I have been looking at the jbl 660gti because they claim they can take a max of 600rms per speaker/tweeter. I want to know if anyone has heard these speakers before. I also am curious about the morel hybrid ovation II because they also claim to handle 600rms max. Has anyone ever heard these speakers or can make any suggestions on different components. Don't want to spend more than 1,000 on a set give or take 100. I have a fi btl n2 18" powered by a T2500-1bdcp, but want more sq so I have 3 jbl 12gti I believe it's there top of the line speakers. I will be putting all three in a sealed box and powering them with the T2500-1bdcp so each woofer will see 1,100 rms and I hope they will sound awesome. Please give me opinions because I just dont know there are so many to choose from.

With that power, you are likely to burn up everything on the market. How are they currently installed? That is the big question.

I have them running through a crossover but I paid my local shop to hook it up. I had a T600-4 and upgraded it to the T1000-4 and just plugged the wires from the T600-4 into the T1000-4. The inks claim they can handle 600 max per speaker/tweeter so I assumed they could handle the 394, bit if not i can always turn down the gain to lower the power given to the set. Just want to know who has heard high powered sets that can handle a lot if power and said incredible.

I have them running through a crossover but I paid my local shop to hook it up. I had a T600-4 and upgraded it to the T1000-4 and just plugged the wires from the T600-4 into the T1000-4. The jbl 660gti inks claim they can handle 600 max per speaker/tweeter so I assumed they could handle the 394, bit if not i can always turn down the gain to lower the power given to the set. Just want to know who has heard high powered sets that can handle a lot if power and said incredible.

How are they installed though? Did they just remove stock speakers and screw them into the door? To handle that kind of power, you will need a proper enclosure for the woofer, and I guarantee you, NO small format tweeter is going to handle that unless the crossover is dissipating power. YOu need to fix the problem before you buy new drivers.

800 rms is pretty overkill for a set of components.

Yes, I took out the stock speakers and built a spacer for my midbass woofer and put the tweeter in the pillar of my door. I can always turn down the gain on my amplifier I don't have to run the full power off that amp. Speaker boxes for my door?? I have the doors sound deadend if that helps.

If you take a sub out of it's enclosure and throw 2-3 times the recommended power at it, what is going to happen? Same thing is happening here. You should be been able to hear the drivers stressing LONG before they blew, Well, that's assuming they didn't just pop right away, and with that much power, I am not surprised they did. What surprises me the most is that they did not have a fuse on the crossover. I'm guessing the tweets have protection, but not the woofers,. EIther way, you have a choice to make. Either cut the power by 75%, or change the application.

How did I know Ryan was going to be in a JBL topic? ;)

The jbl 660gti speakers are a 600 max per speaker tweeter though and I'm sure they can handle quite a bit more than 150 rms with there Kevlar cone and voice coils from a subwoofer and also the crossover distributes the power so it's not like the tweeter is going to be seeing half of the power anyways. But my question is how do they sound and if anyone has had any direct listening of them since there quite expensive. Also the morel elated claim their midbass woofer is 250 rms with a tweeter of 100 rms and those can deffinitly handle 400 rms a piece. Has anyone ever heard either of these sets or have any suggestions besides me having to mug power.

Edited by ALASKAN_BASS907

Never pay any attention to max power ratings, as they are essentially pointless marketing because true max power of a speaker is dependent on the enclosure and install.

Ok, but has anyone heard any of these speakers I can always turn the gains down lower on my amp so as to not let my speakers see the 394 more like 200-250 rms.

You are running to much power. When I saw the term SQ used in the title I was going to recommend Hivi or Zaph Audio components. They can be found on Madisound. I have had great experience with both companies.

with that much power i dont think there are much if any comps that can handle close to 400wrms each unless u cut them off to start playing at a higher frequency like say 80-100hz or even higher which imo sort of defeats the sq purpose because at so high u will be loosing alot of mid bass there

higher end comps will be rated around 150wrms so u will have to back that gain down or lower the crossover level to lessen the chances of them seeing full power from that amp

pro audio speakers will be able to handle the power but will sound like harsh crap compared to comps

with that much power i dont think there are much if any comps that can handle close to 400wrms each unless u cut them off to start playing at a higher frequency like say 80-100hz or even higher which imo sort of defeats the sq purpose because at so high u will be loosing alot of mid bass there

higher end comps will be rated around 150wrms so u will have to back that gain down or lower the crossover level to lessen the chances of them seeing full power from that amp

pro audio speakers will be able to handle the power but will sound like harsh crap compared to comps

I have heard the three-way and liked it. I am assuming these are the three-ways?

I suggest building some pods though for peak performance.

three-way and liked it.

Really, what guy doesn't enjoy a 3-way? Well, assuming there's only one guy involved at the time.

As for power, I've been running 700w per side for a couple years. Nothing wrong with headroom.

Regarding the speakers, never listened to the JBL's or the Morel's. Generally speaking I would be a little more trusting of the engineering behind JBL. But as Ryan has mentioned make sure your install is up to snuff before dropping $1k on any speaker or that'll quickly become money wasted.

Thanks for all of the advise. I talked to a local shop in Seattle about the morel elates (200 rms 1000 max per speaker/tweet) and he said 390 wouldn't damage them he's running the 3 ways with more power. Thanks again and if I have more questions i will never hesitate to post oh. Oh and if anyone is interested in a fi btl n2 18 I have one that I would love to part with for a resionable price and its fully loaded.

Please avoid selling items in the general forums.