StreetLegal

Black list, shady list ?

With all the scammers we have seen, what are your thughts about having a "Black List"? Where by, once found guilty their user name and possible some info about them (which would not get anyone into trouble with the law) be posted in a dedicated thread.

1. Black list - guilty

2. Shady list (pending Black list) - very shady behaviour, which could lead to induction to the black

list.

Of course, there should be some provisions for members to clear their name from the list if it was a mistake or for a reason beyond their control, and only a mod can add or remove a name to the list.

Yes I know it can be a lot of work for the mods peepwall.gif

What do you think?

I think the mods could agree it may be worth the extra time to keep people coming here to these forums and store. If the site is flooded with scammers, decent honest people will stop coming here. It's a shitty reality, but some folks just don't give a damn, and enjoy ripping off good people. sigh.gif

Over the number of years, SSA as a forum has had very little issues with members who are scammers in comparison. I will leave it at that.

I think thats the mods job!

Over the number of years, SSA as a forum has had very little issues with members who are scammers in comparison. I will leave it at that.

as still a relative noob here that is very good to know fing34.gif

Not needed here. We don't have that much here.

I have to say from all the forums I've visited, SSA has the least amount of scammers, and problematic transactions--by far.

Seems kinda redundant as that is what the feedback section is for, isn't it?

The mods have no control over people getting scammed. We can stop someone from posting or move, delete, and close things, but that is all. We can not keep people off the site. They can easily change IP and their SN and do it all over again. You haven't seen it too much here though because we don't tolerate any BS and most of the scammers are bullshitters and weeded out quickly. There are some instances though where even members with skarred reputations still go about their business.

Precisely.

There are some instances though where even members with skarred reputations still go about their business.

what-you-did-there-i-see-itthumbnail.jpg

There are some instances though where even members with skarred reputations still go about their business.

I hope everyone sees it and sees through the bullshit there.

As someone who got scammed on here and is out of an Sundown amp I don't see a reason why not to have a blacklist.??.?.

Beat me to it.

The mods have no control over people getting scammed. We can stop someone from posting or move, delete, and close things, but that is all. We can not keep people off the site. They can easily change IP and their SN and do it all over again. You haven't seen it too much here though because we don't tolerate any BS and most of the scammers are bullshitters and weeded out quickly. There are some instances though where even members with skarred reputations still go about their business.

Precisely.

IMO the most obvious reason a thread like this won't really work is because, as Ryan mention, it's not very difficult for someone to change their IP or screen name and do the same, and there is already a feedback section to air out dirty laundry. If someone is not concerned enough about a transaction to search for a screen name and locate a bad feedback thread, a blacklist isn't going to help much either. Not to mention 9.9 out of 10 times once someone is "caught" as a scammer or has bad feedback left for them, they won't trade under that same name again. So it's going to be filled with a list of names of people who aren't trading under that name anymore anyways.

As Aaron mentioned, the amount of scammers here is extremely low due to the nature of the forum atmosphere and general positive attitude of the user base. There are other forums where it seems there is a large percentage of transactions which have some sort of problem. However, it can happen to anyone on any forum and unfortunately there isn't a lot that can be done to stop it. There is a long list of people who have had dozens of positive transactions, only to end up leaving a bunch of people with empty wallets and no product. It happens. It sucks. There's not much, on a forum basis, that can be done to stop it.

The mods aren't police. We're janitors. We don't have the capabilities or the information to stop scammers or help those who were scammed, and a "black list" isn't going to stop scammers. With all of ebay's supposed precautions, they still have scammers. The point is, in online transactions bad things are going to periodically happen. Be thankful it happens as infrequently as it does on this site. For those that have been scammed, it's unfortunate.

Very well explained guys.

Edited by StreetLegal

Ryan and Brad did a great job laying it out. I get loads of PM's on CA.com from people expecting me to have some magic power to catch a scammer or make it right some how. As if I have to sit them down and say; "Now Johnny, give Katie back her baseball card you stole."

I understand and see the benefit when it comes to brands or shops etc. They can't change their user name and switch coverage easy.

This ^^ post your experiences in the feedback section if you get scammed ... that way, everyone can read it and be cautious in the future ...

also, pm a moderator if you have trouble with a scammer so they can take appropriate action if needed ...

or atleast be aware of the situation ...