Dangrebel

How much deadner?

I will be gettin 50sq ft of deadner, I have a 2000gmc sierra ext cab. How much would that do me for? Has anyone ever deadened this body style? I will be doing the roof, back wall, and floor. Also the doors if I have any left over.

The quality of the deadener has far more of an impact than quantity.

What deadener will you be going with?

Audio technix. Might as well not refer me to anything else. No one will change my mind. But is 50sq ft a decent amount?

I'm guessing this is thick foil + butyl type deadener? No mass loaded vinyl (heavy rubber type material), or thin foam?

If so, the thick foil + butyl will help reduce panel resonance, but won't solve major flexing (although people try any ways with multiple layers), and I don't believe it offers much in reducing cabin noise. So it may stop irritating panels from vibrating, and making some noise, but your plastic door panels will still rattle against the sheet metal, and the overall cabin volume probably won't be too much quieter.

At least that's what I think.

Audio technix. Might as well not refer me to anything else. No one will change my mind. But is 50sq ft a decent amount?

The product is inferior to others on the market and the owner's a douchebag. Apparently that's not important to you, though. Waste your money however you wish.

A decent amount for what? It depends on your goals and what you are trying to accomplish.

Well I want it to stop everything from resonating. And vibrating, but I know it won't make the panel stop vibrating completely. My rattles have a certain high pitch that I want gone.

It depends on what is vibrating and why. For example, if trim panels are resonating the best method of stopping the noise might be some foam behind the panel to stop it from making a noise when it's vibrating. Other types of noise might be best fought with some butyl rope to help keep two pieces of material of vibrating against each other.

Certainly CLD is good at reducing some panel vibrations, but it is not going to be the only cure to your problem.

This is where dealing with a company like SDS is a much better option than many other deadening companies out there as not only is the owner one of the most knowledgeable in the industry and can offer suggestions to allow you to best meet your goals but he also sells the array of products (some of the best products in the industry as well) that will best help you achieve those goals. Of course you can't get that kind of service, selection and product quality at Audio Technix, but since that's not important to you......

I know you think the owners a douche bag and the products arent worth it. But that wasn't my question. Will 50sq ft be enough for 1 layer around my truck possibly? I'm not trying to sound snobby or anything. I just came to the forum knowing y'all would say bad things I'm just trying to get a straight answer.

I know when people ask a general question, we give our opinions and advice. I didn't specify what brand it was. So would your answers be the same if I chose ss or sds? I know only 25% of coverage. But I asked for a single full layer.

I know when people ask a general question, we give our opinions and advice. I didn't specify what brand it was. So would your answers be the same if I chose ss or sds? I know only 25% of coverage. But I asked for a single full layer.

Other than referring to the product as inferior and the owner a douchebag (though the later would have applied had Ant still owned SS), then yes my responses would have been the same. CLD is one product that performs a certain function in a properly deadened vehicle, but it's not a singular solution to the goal of quieting the vibrations in a vehicle.

I never said anything about 25% coverage and my last post answered your question precisely. The vehicle is in your driveway, go out and measure it. You don't need an internet forum to tell you the square footage of your own vehicle. All you need is a tape measure and calculator. FWIW, I am about to order deadening products for my own vehicle. Guess what I'm going to do first? Go out and measure all of the relevant dimensions of my vehicle so I can figure out how much of what products I'll need in order to cover the area of my vehicle that I plan on treating. It's not rocket science, it's elementary school measurements and calculations.

I know you didn't specify brand.....hence the reason I asked what product and added a comment that quality is more important than quantity. Again, our goal is not just to "answer questions" but to ask questions and delve deeper into topics to ensure users are headed down an efficient and effective path toward achieving their goals. What you think is relevant to answering your question, and what is actually relevant to helping you achieve your overall goal are two totally different things. We wouldn't be doing anyone a service if we didn't do the necessary legwork and ask the necessary questions to not just answer the original question asked, but make sure they are also on the right track. You, however and for whatever reason, are narrow sighted and not willing to consider alternate advice. Fine. So I answered your question and will stop trying to make sure you aren't just wasting your money and not actually achieving your goal....which is where you will likely end up if you think a layer of CLD is going to stop all of your resonance issues. Less CLD and more alternate products would probably be a more effective and possibly less expensive solution. But you don't want to hear about it, so be it.

Well then what would be an alternate product to cut down resonation? Specifically a roof.

Depends on the type of resonance issues you are having.

If you are referring to roof flex issues, honestly the best solution is bracing. It would take an obscene amount of CLD to structurally reinforce a roof enough to greatly reduce flex.

If you are talking about simply resonating "noise" coming from the roof, the best course of action is to figure out where the noise is originating and then develop a solution to solve it. CLD on the roof is a good first step to help eliminate some of the resonance in the roof itself. But if the noise is coming from, for example, the headliner vibrating against the roof or braces then some strategically placed foam would further help reduce the noise. I virtually eliminated my rear deck rattle simply by placing a piece of 1/8" closed cell foam underneath the panel (up until the point it would start to vibrate against the rear window, which occurred well beyond my average daily listening volume).

Without more details of the actual problem, it's hard to give targeted advice. It's all about determining the actual problem, then troubleshooting that particular problem.

Well the roof and the roof braces hit together. I will be using butyl rope and expanding foam to go between the braces and roof. But the kind of resonating I'm talking about it is like when you flex a piece of poster board and it goes woooorrrrppp.

Is it maybe the edges of the headliner bouncing off of the roof?

No cause it still does it unles someone lays on the roof. When my roof flexes, small sections flex really bad while other sections have a small amount of vibration.

Deadener will do nothing to combat the flex, you need to add rigidity to it.

I understand this. I plan on welding in some braces. I just need to cut the resonation down.

CDL tiles will help, but assuming you have a wall now then plan on doing 3/4" hardwood directly to the roof and/or 1/8" steel plate.

I have a walled vehicle also and did the wood first using PL glue. First time I turned it up loud on music it delaminted some of the 11-ply birch I used. That's why I suggest using a hardwood as birch/MDF will come apart if there's still flex.

I also used a LOT of SDS tiles (180) in the vehicle and it does stop panel vibration.

Adding mass with the tiles will not totally eliminate flex, but it will stop all rattling/vibrating sounds which is probably what you're after.

It all depends upon how loud you are/what vehicle as I also built a walled Caddy a few years back that does a 55+ sealed up and we just used the CDL tiles on his roof and it's fine.

Well I'm am in the high 40's or touching 50. But the flex can stay there. As long as it will be quieter than what it is.

No cause it still does it unles someone lays on the roof. When my roof flexes, small sections flex really bad while other sections have a small amount of vibration.

Then it sounds like what you are hearing is the sound from the roof flexing. Mine sounds the same when I go through an automatic car wash with the blowers. As was mentioned, if you are getting enough roof flex that it's making that sound, the best method is to structurally brace the roof.

I have a question ... You are deadning your entire vehicle ... correct ???

Just a theory here ...

Use 1/2 inch MDF to completely wall off your back and side walls ... install resonance foam (or egg crate foam) and black out on you back and side windows, and completely box it out ... top, sides, floor, everything ...

on the top ... completely foam and box it out all the way to the windshield ... to eliminate body flex ...

and possibly a 1/4 inch MDF plate on you doors ...

Your vehicle (being a large truck) should be able to handle all this weight addition ...

we are only talking a few hundred dollars here, but tons of man hour work ...

All this work should push ALL you Sub pressure to the windshield and possible eliminating body flex all together ... I bet you gain cabin pressure ...

And you might want to get yourself a widshield sponsor ... lol ...

Well I'm not deadening the fire wall but basically the entire vehicle. The wood boxing my vehicle is a no no. My dad said I can do what ever aslong as it can be returned to stock. So, I will be using expanding foam and filling every void that is between 2 panels. Also using butyl rope every chance I get to prevent any rattle. But I'm debating wether I want to weld it roof braces or not. I haven't taken my headliner of yet but I think one of them is broken on the left side. I also have to find a way to stop my rear windows from flopping.