hondakilla98

03 Lincoln Town Car Daily Driver Build

Haha, fuckin Oregon rain. Don't really miss that. We have to take sunburn breaks down here

You should've seen the 2" of hail we got this afternoon, and thunder, lightning, rain, sun, , and even a rainbow. Lol

It's all up and running! I'll get pics tomorrow. My stinger volt meter is installed in one of the many ashtrays. It's so nice to finally get to enjoy the front stage. I've never had my subs blend so well with my front stage. And the midbass is pretty impressive. Now for lots of tuning.

So while I had the carpet up to run wires, I noticed the passenger side front and rear floorboards are soaked. Now I have something else to fix.

I paid for my third sa8 motor today. Now if I could get a response from sundown, I could order my recones. I've emailed him three times in two weeks and haven't gotten one response.

Now if I could get a response from sundown, I could order my recones. I've emailed him three times in two weeks and haven't gotten one response.

welcome to your life. He's a busy man. Even team guys have to wait forever.

Now if I could get a response from sundown, I could order my recones. I've emailed him three times in two weeks and haven't gotten one response.

welcome to your life. He's a busy man. Even team guys have to wait forever.

I have better luck getting a response when i call, try getting in touch with Derrick(team nemesis) he can help you out as well.

Edited by jay-cee

motors look nice :)

tuned in for more progress

So your liking the Peerless mids?

So far I'm very happy with them. And I haven't messed with phase, time alignment, eq or anything besides basic crossover settings. Hopefully I'll have some time to tinker with that and tweeter aiming soon. They play lower and with more authority than anything I've owned before, but that's not a very extensive list.

I sat in the car for an hour when I got home this morning, playing with crossover settings and individual speaker levels. It keeps sounding better and better.

I spent some time messing with the time alignment and other settings today. When all of a sudden everything got really loud, but the volume was still at 3/4. Which is where I had it set. Also all my settings were erased. So I started over, turned down the gains, and started redoing everything. Hopefully it isn't do that again.

My third sa8 motor is paid for and should shop out tomorrow. And I bought bigjon's old 240 amp alternator. I'm excited to get my trunk back. I'm working on the design for my false floor. I think I'll put it in a separate thread, but I'll post a link here.

nice!!!

put the design in this thread :)

I've been busy with other projects. I put the 240 amp alt I bought from Bigjon yesterday. And I ordered a pair of fountek fr88ex's to demo in my front stage.

I've got some belt squeal with the new alt. I'm going to pick up a new belt one size smaller tomorrow and I'll hit the pulleys with a scotch brite pad. I got my fountek's in the mail today. I demo'd one of them playing down to 400 hz @24DB. It sounds pretty good, and these will be a lot easier to fiberglass in the pillars.

I picked up the next size smaller belt today, cleaned the pulleys with some brake clean and a scrub brush. No more belt squeal! Tomorrow im going to make some rings to mount the fr88ex's in. Then I can work on aiming. These will be much easier to glass into the pillars than the hds. They have a narrower mounting plate and magnet, and they are lighter.

Edited by hondakilla98

great!

I added an alt to starting battery +, starting battery to engine block -, starting battery to body -, and body ground to engine block -, all in 1/0 gauge. I left the factory wires in place, cleaned up all the connections and coated them in battery terminal protector. I also cleaned and coated my rear battery to frame, rear battery to body, and rear frame to body grounds. I have 13.3-13.7v at idle in park. Idling in drive it drops to 12.5-12.9. Driving around it is 13.9-14.0. This is with a 240 amp alt I bought used. In the previous install it idled in the mid 13's, so I'm not expecting 14v@ idle. Should I put one size smaller pulley on it to speed it up? Or not worry about it?

Battery to 240v alt 1/0

20121008_160037.jpg

20121008_160043.jpg

Battery to body, and body to engine block

20121008_160057.jpg

Body to engine block

20121008_160109.jpg

Everything put back together

20121008_160658.jpg

you can try to raise your idle,

it was pretty much the same way in my car, idle in park got higher voltage in drive was pretty low, while driving was up in 14's

i dont want to clutter your build log but.

this is a video too.. i think i sent this one to you when i was explaining how it fluctuates

th_2012-03-21_12-34-36_247.jpg

and this was the load testing i did on it

2011-11-20_14-32-09_879.jpg

the alternator was made to put out high when idled up , for cooling reasons, the voltage is controlled by the computer on the car... missinglink said they would build me a voltage raiser, because my mechman actually charges at less voltage then that alternator if you can believe that, it charged at 14 flat when its hot. 14.2 when cold. and same thing. 12 volts when its in drive with your foot on the break at idle

and 1 more size smaller pully is available for it,. and that may be what it needs for your use, because when you idle it up say from 600 idle to 800 or so, it hits 14 volts. so maybe just that little bit faster spin will make up for what its lacking....

i was pulling around 400 amps. so i idled up no matter what. still do, your install is a bit different

Thanks for the post John. If I was driving a crown vic, I'd just have them do a p71 flash. They raised the idle on the cop cars to help idle output. But I'm not, and rarely rev it. So a few more rpm on the alt shouldn't hurt. I'll hit the parts store tomorrow.

After finishing my wiring today, I hit the hardware store for some ABS or PVC to make temp speaker pods. I ended up with a 3"-2" reducer, 2" end cap, 1.5" of 2" pipe, and some kind of bushing to neck down the opening of the 3".

Here's the finished product. 1/3 of a liter stuffed with polyfill. That was as big as I could go and still fit them on axis on the dash.

20121008_200254.jpg

I've been talking to Jacob at sundown about the recones for the 3 sa8's. He said he's low on v1 soft parts and asked if I was interested in trading them in for v2's. I'm waiting to get a price back from him.

Edited by hondakilla98

I have installed the fountek's. They sound good on some songs and very harsh on others. I haven't made any adjustments other than basic gain adjustments.

I also heard back from Jacob with sundown. He's offered to trade in my v1 and v1.5 motors for v2 subs, at a great price.

I mailed back my v1 and v1.5 subs today. Hopefully in a coupe weeks, I'll have my V2's. I'll be sure to post some unboxing pics when they arrive.

I also got the alt builders number from John, so I can see if he has any idea what my issue is. I hoped up the new alt plug backwards when I first hooked it up. I think I may have fried the voltage regulator, or even worse the part of the ecm that tells the alt to produce more voltage.