HawkEye

Subs Smells At Higher Notes.Why?

The higher the system impedance the less current is drawn from the source. Ohms law. Remember, most amplifers are constant voltage in nature, they source the required current into the load to keep the voltage at a set level. The current they source depends on the load impedance.

Amplifiers have frequency response. I design and build amplifiers.

Clipping itself doesn't create heat. I did a comprehensive test on this almost 8 years ago here:

http://www.forceaudi...ng-effect-test/

Sorry, the graphs were deleted. I have probably spent more time researching this than anyone on this, or any other car audio site.

What you don't (and most other people) understand is, that when you properly set the last gain stage in a signal chain for maximum voltage drive without hitting the rail limits (clipping) with any type of test equipment, it is completely useless 99% of the time as you can still manipulate many different stages farther up the chain.

My mind is probably more open than most.

I pointed out the common missconceptions in this thread. I am sorry if I offended you, seriously.

YES finally someone said it! Your box is tuned to 33 iirc, being probably a basic ported enclosure its bound to not have a very wide frequency range

Ported enclosures affect the low frequency response, not the high frequency response. High frequency response is limited by the driver's inductance or the lowpass filter, not the enclosure. This is why enclosure programs don't model the upper frequency response of this enclosure type unless you apply an electronic filter or allow the program to adjust response based on inductance.

and really inefficient towards the upper range.

The driver is least efficient at tuning where impedance is minimum, making power input maximum, and cone excursion is minimum, causing output from the driver to be at it's minimum. I can't think of a better description of inefficiency. Depending on where inductance begins to cause impedance to rise it's possible for impedance to drop low again after the upper impedance hump but output from the driver is also higher than it is at tuning making the driver by definition more efficient than it is at tuning. At lower frequencies the system is more efficient because of the port, but that doesn't mean the driver is more efficient.

You are more than likely playing songs out of the range of your enclosure

Again, the ported enclosure doesn't limit the "range" with regard to high frequency response.....that's limited by the inductance and lowpass filter.

with the higher bass in turn the subs are vibrating faster and less (from the higher frequency) and there is less cooling.

Yes, the cone is traveling a lesser distance (excursion), but as you mentioned it's also traveling faster.....which is going to aid in cooling. Although, as I mentioned above, if your concern is power input versus excursion/frequency then your largest concern should be about operating the driver at and very near tuning which is typically a low frequency (which means it's vibrating "slower" than a higher frequency) with impedance at it's minimum (which means power input is maximum) and cone excursion is minimum (mean it's cone travel is minimum). Based on your qualifications the driver has a much higher likelihood of being damaged at or near tuning than it does at higher frequencies. Better start setting that SSF a lot higher......

Everyone is always so quick to jump on the "its your gains, the gains gotta be too high" theory.

Because the typical cause is either the gain or bass boost.

Now... throw those subs into a 4th order

A ported enclosure is a 4th order.

I'm presuming you mean 4th order bandpass.

which have much wider frequency response range

By definition a bandpass has a narrower bandwidth than a ported enclosure. That's what the name means; it's limits the range of frequencies (band) it allows to pass into the listening environment. As efficiency of the bandpass enclosure increases, the passband decreases.