i just bought a new car...well new to me, a 2008 pontiac g6 and plan on starting my audio system real soon, the obvious first thing to upgrade is the radio.

i went to crutchfield (i buy all my head units from them as they usually make it simple and include everything you need, usually for free) im a little confused on what i need to buy on this one though, this car has the oil life, fuel mileage and all that stuff built into the radio so i would need a special kit to retain all of that, which i definatly want. the link to that is http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120993303/Chevy-Pontiac-Adapter-Package.html now when i added my head unit to my cart, it suggested i add this also, which i did because i want it to remain as factory as possible, and in the description on that page is said the kit i linked would be all i would need to install a new radio... but then crutchfield contradicted themselves by saying that i also would need to buy http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127OS311B/PAC-GM-Radio-Replacement-Interface.html... but correct me if im wrong.. but i would only need to buy the PAC unit if i didnt buy the factory ingeration kit and just went with a basic dash kit.. am i right? or do i really need to buy both?

sorry for such a long post, but basically im definitly buying the factory integration dash kit, but do i need the second thing i linked?

I have the same car and was going to do it but I just kept the factory radio and everything works fine.

I have the same car and was going to do it but I just kept the factory radio and everything works fine.

yeah, but im not keeping the factory radio, it doesnt offer any features i need for my audio system, the main one being rca inputs.

Generally you will loose features like that when you switch to a new head unit.

Best option if you must keep all that, is to keep the factory radio and use a badass Sound Processor such as a RF 3Sixty.2.

Best option if you must keep all that, is to keep the factory radio and use a badass Sound Processor such as a RF 3Sixty.2.

my question is, if i dont buy that factory integration dash kit, and just use the regular one that comes with the radio from crutchfield, ive read that it will trigger the check engine light, and i cant have that, which is why i want to do it right by buying the integration kit, and i want a new radio, i hate the one that it comes with.

my question is, if i dont buy that factory integration dash kit, and just use the regular one that comes with the radio from crutchfield, ive read that it will trigger the check engine light, and i cant have that, which is why i want to do it right by buying the integration kit, and i want a new radio, i hate the one that it comes with.

Go to your local audio shop and ask what you need. I know the "proper" harness will cost at least $60. That's just the wiring harness.

Go to your local audio shop and ask what you need. I know the "proper" harness will cost at least $60. That's just the wiring harness.

thats the problem i dont have a local audio shop.. the nearest one is a couple hours away and they know less then i do lol

If your main concern is RCAs and system expansion, Audio Control makes it so easy. I just installed an EQL and my factory head unit sounds great. I honestly hated it before Audio Control, but didn't want to lose satellite radio, dash display, and steering wheel control.

If your main concern is RCAs and system expansion, Audio Control makes it so easy. I just installed an EQL and my factory head unit sounds great. I honestly hated it before Audio Control, but didn't want to lose satellite radio, dash display, and steering wheel control.

that was one of my concerns, but i knew i could fix that problem.. the other things i look for in a head unit is a usb input because 90% of the time i listen to music off my pen drive.. and the other thing i dont like about the stock radio is it cant play data cd's meaning just the audio files themselves... doing it that way i can have 100+ songs on a cd but i cant play them with the stock radio.

basically for me, sticking with the stock radio is not an option, i havent had a stock radio in my past 4 vehicles, and i dont plan on it... i just like having an aftermarket radio... so back to my original post... if im reading it right i dont need to buy that PAC wiring harness...as long as i buy the dash integration unit that had the DIC built it.. correct? if thats correct then im ordering it.. but if i need the PAC thing as well then ill have to wait till next paycheck

Edited by curt96olds

let me know how it works out for you. someday i might upgrade

i just bought a new car...well new to me, a 2008 pontiac g6 and plan on starting my audio system real soon, the obvious first thing to upgrade is the radio.

i went to crutchfield (i buy all my head units from them as they usually make it simple and include everything you need, usually for free) im a little confused on what i need to buy on this one though, this car has the oil life, fuel mileage and all that stuff built into the radio so i would need a special kit to retain all of that, which i definatly want. the link to that is http://www.crutchfie...er-Package.html now when i added my head unit to my cart, it suggested i add this also, which i did because i want it to remain as factory as possible, and in the description on that page is said the kit i linked would be all i would need to install a new radio... but then crutchfield contradicted themselves by saying that i also would need to buy http://www.crutchfie...-Interface.html... but correct me if im wrong.. but i would only need to buy the PAC unit if i didnt buy the factory ingeration kit and just went with a basic dash kit.. am i right? or do i really need to buy both?

sorry for such a long post, but basically im definitly buying the factory integration dash kit, but do i need the second thing i linked?

i usually shop at http://www.sonicelectronix.com/ same customer service but better deals and always when upgrading from stock to after market there's always little sacrifices like in your case but your going to gail a way better stereo with the latest features and clarion has a head unit that display a digital miles per hour gauges you might want to look into that head unit i think the 500 series from clarion Edited by CHRIS 323

its the Clarion NZ500 i found a pic ea6b813dc95487f6cee30c46f1000a6f.jpg

well the DIC features i can live without (like the mpg, tire pressure and stuff like that) but people have told me that you also lose out on warning chimes like low oil and other stuff like that which i would rather not lose